Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudysmom View Post
I can't imagine what the poor dogs went through. People need to be more careful. Of course, never put a dog in the back of a pickup. That is just as bad. If he can't fit in the car, leave them at home, safe.
My dogs travel in the back of a pickup.
Under camper shell with remote thermometer and in a secured crate.
Much better than loose in a car.
If he is in the car he needs to be secured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
A covered pickup that is cool is fine. The danger is when they are in an open pickup, hot and able to fall out or get stolen. My little dog is inside secure with a carseat. As long as they are cool and secure that is good.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
My dogs were always well secured and inside the car.

grannynancy, kudos to you for making sure your dogs are well secured and in proper temperature environments. Unfortunately almost all dogs I see in pickup trucks are always loose or poorly secured.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
One thing that is interesting is that American Airlines says on its page that it does NOT require a health certificate for dogs being transported.

Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com

I don't know if that is a new thing or not but I thought health certificates were required for interstate travel.
NO, Where does it say anywhere in any regulation that a health certificate is required for travel by air? There is no such thing! Although people may think this is some requirment, there never has been any mandate. Airlines can require one if they want, but since most health certificates do not specifically deal with travel by air, they are basically worthless from an airline point of view. Look at how many animals had health issues that made them unsuited for air travel, yet they have valid health certificates from vets.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

I think some are talking about the hour delay before taking off. I need more facts, but cargo isn't usually removed immediately. The one time (and last time) I had a dog flown in cargo, he came AFTER the luggage. I'm glad some of the pups were saved by personnel, but I'm not about to get as hostile as you and EVER say I'll turn my head to an animal. What if it was someone turning their head on your animal or child? We're all here just speculating until we have all of the facts. The one fact we know is that 7 puppies died and that deserves some answers.
If they were talking about the hour departure delay in Tulsa, they should have said that, but they said "on the ground", "waiting for connecting flights" "in Chicago".. that person knew darn well what they were implying and it was not the departure delay in Tulsa!

But as said, the facts are not in and people should hold off on making factual statements based on air.

EDIT TO ADD: and as an update. the puppies were from a single "breeder" and the receiving parties on shipping documents were pet stores.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 08-05-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM

821 posts, read 861,887 times
Those poor dogs

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,742 times
I weould NEVER-EVER have any of our pets fly. If they had to be transported... we would be with them & drive.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM

399 posts, read 2,254,124 times
most likely from a puppy mill and sick before the flight....we all know they ship parvo-laden puppies ALL THE TIME. I know my healthy dogs can withstand 87 degree heat for a time, but if they were ill they wouldn't have a chance. My dad is a jet mechanic. I am going to call him and see if it is true that the cargo hold is temperature controlled.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
I think we can all agree that this is a terrible tragedy and those poor puppies suffered unnecessarily. AA should have never allowed any live animals to fly out of cabin during the months of May-at least September. Whether or not AA is responsible for the deaths is unclear. What's clear is that 7 puppies are dead, and AA's pet policy allows dogs to fly in summer months, regardless of origin/destination. Given that the majority of the country is experiencing severe heat/humidity right now, it's not a smart decision. Maybe they should follow Delta's lead and ban pets in the summer months.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
The breeder who shipped these pups should be investigated by local authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs