Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am just stating the requirement on the Am Airlines web page - they clearly state they do not require it; I have traveled several times in with a dog in cabin on US AIrways and have always been asked for one. Not requiring a health cert would be mighty handy for puppy mills. I doubt the state agencies are their enforcing any state laws re certificates.

good point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
If they were talking about the hour departure delay in Tulsa, they should have said that, but they said "on the ground", "waiting for connecting flights" "in Chicago".. that person knew darn well what they were implying and it was not the departure delay in Tulsa!

But as said, the facts are not in and people should hold off on making factual statements based on air.

EDIT TO ADD: and as an update. the puppies were from a single "breeder" and the receiving parties on shipping documents were pet stores.
ding ding ding..... puppy mill puppies..... opens up a whole NEW can of worms about what kind of shape they were in when loaded onto the plane.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The breeder who shipped these pups should be investigated by local authorities.
yep.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Update: The focus is now on the time between when the puppies were loaded and the engines started. Once the engines started, the temp was around 75 in the cargo hold. So the question I would ask is that during the weather delay from loading to take off, was the engines (which powers the a/c for the cargo hold) runing or were they on ground power (no cargo hold a/c) during that time? If pushed back from the gate, was the engines turned off at anytime during the long delay to conserve fuel?

Another thing that has caused concern is that seven other puppies were in fine shape with no signs of any problems. They were examined and cleared to fly to their final destination. Why did some get sick and die while others had no health issues. Normally all experience some related health issue, but seven were fine all from the same shipment, on the same plane and in the same cargo hold.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Why did some get sick and die while others had no health issues. Normally all experience some related health issue, but seven were fine all from the same shipment, on the same plane and in the same cargo hold.
Because just like humans dogs respond differently to temperature changes? Come on, not that hard to figure out. My dog would respond a lot differently than someone else's dog to heat, that's just how it is. Just because the person next to me doesn't feel hot and is shivering doesn't mean I should suspend belief in the evidence of my senses, especially if I'm sweating buckets. You either feel it and tolerate it or not. Clearly, some of the puppies couldn't handle it. I still stand by my statement that AA should never allow dogs to fly during the summer months, especially in the South. Hopefully, this will be a lesson learned.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
It clearly appears the flight ocurred despite disqualifying ground conditions.

The fact that half died and half lived - well they were probably just that close to the limit and the ones that lived were probably pretty stressed as well. Now those stressed pups may still face a life of issues due to stress of heat on their bodies ----

Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
This is so sad...those poor puppies!

I've only flown with a dog once, and he was in the cabin with us...if my only option was to stick him in cargo, I would have chosen to drive. I know there are supposedly all kinds of regulations to ensure their safety in cargo, but things can always go wrong, and I just would never be willing to take that risk...if I can't see their eyes and KNOW they're okay, it's just not gonna happen...!

BTW, the pick-up thing...UGH, I see it all the time here in 90+ temps, and it makes me CRAZY! Heatstroke is no joke, these poor dogs out here are just thrown back there sometimes with NO shade whatsoever, panting and drooling and looking miserable. The drivers usually don't want to hear about it when I say something (oh yes, I roll my window down and speak up if we're stopped and it's possible to get their attention), they generally just roll their eyes at me and do nothing.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
I was contemplating taking my cat via airplane but the airline web site restricted 80 degrees or above for outdoor temp.

So summer travel is out unless you have an animal in a carry on and not sure about all restrictions with that...

Poor puppies !

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
I KNOW I have been in a cabin with a cat. Could hardly breathe. I do wish they would ask about allergies before they put an animal on board or at least pre-notified people....of course you could say the same thing about people with perfume.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM

93 posts, read 130,153 times
I'm sorry but I think it's very irresponsible to fly with your pets in the summer. I recently moved from Hawaii to California and I had to change my flight from May 31st to April 22nd because it would just be cutting it to close with the first summer heat. I also had to take a seperate flight from my girlfriend so I could get to california to pick the dogs up from an overnight cargo flight and so she could drop them off for the flight. We even hired a pet service to help us with the flight arrangements. I feel really bad for the dogs and the owners but when you own a pet you just have to be more responsible!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I KNOW I have been in a cabin with a cat. Could hardly breathe. I do wish they would ask about allergies before they put an animal on board or at least pre-notified people....of course you could say the same thing about people with perfume.
My mother has wheezing fits if someone too near is wearing too much perfume...it's pretty scary! Some people really DRENCH themselves in the stuff, it's so gross!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
yet another of many reasons why I don't fly.

My condolences to the pet owners.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs