Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Authorities were investigating the deaths of seven dogs after an American Airlines flight to Chicago.

Flight 851 was an hour late taking off from Tulsa, Oklahoma, Tuesday morning, according to Mary Frances Fagan, director of corporate communications for American Airlines.
The airline's website says pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is warmer than 85 degrees at any location on the itinerary.

The Dallas Morning News reported the temperature at Tulsa International Airport was already 86 degrees at 7 a.m. before the plane's departure, and 87 degrees at 8 a.m.

Seven dogs dead after American Airlines flight - CNN.com

Those poor dogs and pet owners losing their pet. This is inexcusable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
What are people thinking? Why would they or the airlines even consider placing live animals in the cargo compartment in triple digit summer temps!???

Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
I'm so glad that $0 of my money goes to AA. We fly all the time, and I've only flown AA once in my life, many years ago. They are truly the worst airline. I don't know of any other airline that allows pets to fly in the heated cargo area in the summer months. I know for a fact that Delta does not allow any pets in the cargo area from May 15-September 15, and closely monitors the weather the rest of the year. I feel so sorry for those poor dogs, but the owners should have known better then to treat dogs as luggage in the middle of summer!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What are people thinking? Why would they or the airlines even consider placing live animals in the cargo compartment in triple digit summer temps!???
Pets that fly cargo are put in the front compartment hold which is pressurized and temperature controlled. This is not the owners fault. I'm sure they were assured of the air quality just as I have been in the past when shipping pets. It is the airlines fault for leaving those dogs for long periods of time on the ground in the heat.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Pets that fly cargo are put in the front compartment hold which is pressurized and temperature controlled. This is not the owners fault. I'm sure they were assured of the air quality just as I have been in the past when shipping pets. It is the airlines fault for leaving those dogs for long periods of time on the ground in the heat.
Per the local Dallas news, NBC 5, cargo areas are NOT temperature controlled.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Well, in reading their website, it states:

Temperature Restrictions

Temperature restrictions have been established to ensure animals are not exposed to extreme heat or cold in the animal holding areas, terminal facilities, when moving the animals between terminal and aircraft or on an aircraft awaiting departure.
Heat Restriction Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.
Snub-nosed dogs and cats will not be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 75 degrees Fahrenheit (23.8 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

It should have been the airline's responsibility to ensure saftely for the dogs.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Per the local Dallas news, NBC 5, cargo areas are NOT temperature controlled.
If that's the case, they have no business having pets in cargo during the summer months. I'm just wondering if these pet owners were told their dogs would be safe. I couldn't have put my dog in cargo w/ no air control.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
The facts are still not in. But we now know these were very young puppies, (rumor has it of different breeds - they are investigating if a puppy mill was the shipper) and they were tendered and loaded below the USDA temp limits. The planes log does show the forward compartment was pressurized and temp control. Front passengers did not complain of being hot which is the same temp as the forward hold. The dogs did not die on the aircraft but while enroute or at the vet. The airline personnel saw the pupppies didn't look right and assumed heat related issues. Nobody has yet said that the death was the result of heat or some other pre-existing illness. A bit premature to crusify the airlines. For all we know, the puppies could already have been sick and the observations of the airline staff prevented all of them from from dying. They might have died without ever setting foot on an airline.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
puppy mill was my first thought when i read that there were FOURTEEN crates on the plane.....

and lord only knows what kind of shape they were in when loaded, if indeed it was a puppy mill shipping them out.....

sure hope we get further news as more is discovered......

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
OMG, poor babies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs