Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 PM

13 posts, read 168,367 times

Advertisements

yesterday i open a can of tuna, she sniffed it and went nuuuutz... start jumping arouund and crying... i gave her a bit and she loved it... she refuses to eat her puppy food (i bought her puppy acana) and she doent eat it... she stays hours and hours without eat.... what do i do? she only wants to eat human food... i mix tuna and chicken with her dog food, but she picks it, and leave the dog food... help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,206 times
Put only kibble down, take it up after 20 minutes. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat. She will eventually eat when she gets hungry. Human food is not good for dogs unless you are feeding her a raw diet and that is totally different then what you're giving her.

You've seemed to have had several problems with this pup already. I'm not saying to get rid of the pup, trust me, I've had people tell me to get rid of mine before so I know how it feels. You just need to get this pup on a routine and make her realize you're the pack leader not her. She should only get food made for her and nothing else. Otherwise you're going to have a begger on your hands.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,604 times
Fresh food is wonderful. We give our little dog a great brand of canned food and also healthful fresh foods. The problem with tuna is that it can have mercury. Also, canned foods for people can be salty. Not good for a dog. We buy fresh fish like salmon and also lamb. Veggies/fruit too.

What food do you feed her? Maybe another brand would work. Mealtime should be something to look forward to.

Make sure you don't feed from the table or chair, she will learn to beg and that gets old. Just feed from her dish.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
Canned tuna is also high in salt and you are not getting the right balance of meat:bone and could mess her up. Believe me she will not starve if you put down the kibble on a regular schedule (the younger the dog the more often they are fed) and take it up after 15 minutes.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 AM

29 posts, read 138,901 times
A little tuna is not going to hurt her and is fine every now and then. If you are considering feeding her human food, I would suggest spending some time researching it first. I frequently feed my dogs specially prepared meals made from human food and can totally vouch for it.

There are dozens of good websites on this topic with helpful tips. Here is one to get you started if anyone is interested.

DogAware.com Articles: Homemade Cooked Diets for Dogs

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Guys, don't feed the troll......

Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,674 times
Troll or not......these answers can help other people that might be wondering the same thing.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 63,027 times
today i started feeding my 8 week puppy canned tuna he will not eat watered down puppy food. so i didnt know what else too feed him. he went for 2 days starving. cuz he would not eat it. i gave him tuna and he ate that all. a whole can in tone hour.any suggestions???

Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammiee69 View Post
today i started feeding my 8 week puppy canned tuna he will not eat watered down puppy food. so i didnt know what else too feed him. he went for 2 days starving. cuz he would not eat it. i gave him tuna and he ate that all. a whole can in tone hour.any suggestions???
Yes, be prepared for a bout of explosive diarrhea in the very near future.

Whenever you introduce new food to a dog (even more so a puppy) it's important to introduce that food very slowly so they have time to adapt to the change in diet.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,972 times
Default Canned tuna

Troll or not, here is some important tuna info...

Here are some issues with tuna.

Although it is high in protein and great for humans, it also has issues with heavy metal and I don't mean music. There are studies that show too much tuna consumption can have adverse effects. Heavy metals have been found in tuna fish.

If you are using tuna packed in water vs. oil you won't have the bowel issues if you are mixing with kibble BUT I would discuss this with you vet BEFORE giving to a puppy.

Although good...it can also be bad...

When in doubt, contact your vet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs