Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,037,191 times

Advertisements

I'd like to let my "little" guy run around a bit, without having the fun police on his tail. About 10 miles from me, there is an off-leash park, with access to the water, and I was wondering whether anyone has some tips. (Yes, this is inspired by the thread about the shooting...which I don't think would happen around these parts, but you never know...)

My pup is around 5 months old now, and is about 32 or so pounds, so not so "little". I won't do this for about another month or two, as I want him to be a good canine citizen. But I also think that it's important to have him have this experience.

I know about not having him on a leash while others are off-leash. But, knowing myself, I know that I may be overly cautious with him interacting with other dogs. So, what is the general etiquette in these parks? What do RESPONSIBLE owners do?

Any tips and ideas would be more than welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 01:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,578,885 times
Not go?

I would love to go to a dog park where you could just go and play with your dog who was trained to ignore other dogs but that ain't how they work. So I am one who does not "do" dog parks. Too many people who don't know how to control their own dogs. Too much behavior out of hand that is beyond "play".

Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM

288 posts, read 694,229 times
Why not get him a long lead? I have had foster dogs which I have been nervous to let off as not knowing them really well, but dogs love to run. I bought a few off Ebay that are about 30 feet long, that way you get peace of mind and the dog can get a good run around.

here are some that might be suitable:

DOG TRAINING LEAD leash puppy obedience long ANY SIZE - eBay (item 290435316908 end time Aug-12-10 03:00:24 PDT)=

Hope this is of some help

Old 08-08-2010, 02:06 PM

I'd be more than happy to get him a long lead, but, unfortunately, that won't work too well where I'm currently located. His 6 foot leash is WAY more than adequate with the cars and other distractions around here.

It's too bad that he doesn't have a backyard to run around in, but it is what it is.

The "don't go" suggestion, while taken for what it's worth, isn't really helpful here. My question is about how one would deal with those who don't control their dogs. How involved does one get in these parks? What is the best way to deal with these dogs?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,737,010 times
because he is young and under 40 lbs you can take him into the "little dog" side. Many dog parks have little and big do sides. Make sure to take his leash off before you get into the park. Stay close to him but try not to be too overprotective. I had 2 boston terriers that would run like crazy thru the dog park together and often plow over other small/toy dogs as they ran. They never attacked or hurt another dog; just high energy best pals running off steam. The other dog owners would get so angry if one of my dogs ran into their dogs or even leaped over them. I just stopped going, people forget these are not babies and a little roughing up is not a big deal.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,363,338 times
We take our well trained dog to the dog parks/beaches here in Florida. We make sure our dog is under our control, enter w dog on a leash until we see how the other owners are handling their dogs. Then we let ours off the leash.
As a group people usually ostracize the poorly controlled dog owners by putting our animals on a leash, or moving to another section at the park. It is obvious to the poorly controlled dog owner that the behavior is not acceptable and they usually leave or gather their dog to gain control.

Sometimes dogs growl and run up to eachother after initial getting to know you snuffing, and initiate play, some owners do not care for this, but they are dogs after all. You need to have control, that is the main thing.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 4,928,510 times
The dog park I went to in Florida was my first. Finn, my Corgi, loved it. He loves running after the big dogs. I was very lucky that the people that brought their dogs there were very good about keeping an eye on their dog and stopping any problems right away. I was very nervous at first but had been assured that it was a very good dog park with hardly any issues.

You could always go without your dog a few times and see how it is, talk to people and just get a feel of what goes on and weather you want to take him or not. I think if you find a good park then they are great, for socializing and exercising your dog. Great way to meet other dog lovers also.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the responses!!

I have no issues with "play" or if another dog knocks mine over...as long as it's all in fun.

Apparently, I have to monitor, but not "hover". I think I can handle that.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,347,618 times
There is a dog park near my house. I went a few times with my dog, but she got hurt, not by being attacked, but by running too hard (we found out she had dysplasia and it severely aggravated it).

Anyway, I don't take my current dog to the dogpark. Many people do, though.

My dog park is managed by the city. There is no official staff on duty, but they have people who volunteer as "bark rangers" to monitor activity. But it's not guaranteed that they will be there.

My dog park is split into 2 sections: one for small and the other for all other dogs.

Etiquette:
- ALWAYS watch your dog and keep it under control. If it starts to go over the top, give it a time out or leave. (This translates into: don't yap on your cell phone and let your dog run rampant.) Most people are very conscientious about this, but there are always "some people".....
- ALWAYS pick up poop. And since you are always WATCHING your dog, you will see when it poops.
- Don't take a wild, wound up dog to the park to let it wreak havoc. It will be excited but you should be able to control the dog.
- LEASH THE DOG ON THE WAY IN AND OUT. Don't let your dog off-leash in the parking lot.
- Be mindful of other dogs gathering when you leave and ensure you secure the gates.
- When newcomers enter the park, the other dogs get excited and can all run to the incoming gate to check out the newbie. This can get overwhelming, so watch your dog when a newcomer arrives and make sure it remains under control when greeting the newcomer.
- Make sure your dog is fully immunized and vaccinated AND HEALTHY when you take it to the park.
- Leave if things aren't working out. Don't push it if your dog isn't getting along with another dog. Come back another time.
- Do not take small children. A responsible teenager, sure, but no kids. Your focus needs to be on the dog and the dog only.

For me, it's difficult to tell what is play and what is a potential fight. Some playing is really noisy and rough and mouthy. The behaviorists I have asked about this have said if you have any doubt, tap the dog or get its attention, remove it from the situation and do a time out to stop the escalating behavior. Sometimes things get too exciting and it can escalate, so better safe than sorry.

I personally don't know how to break up a dog fight. I know that getting in the middle is dangerous. Therefore, I don't go to dogparks, because I don't know and can't control the other dogs. Also, I don't like the thought of parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc. I started going to doggie daycare, which my puppy LOVES, and they have a trained person there ALWAYS monitoring the dogs. BUT, she got oral canine warts there, and now she can't go, and I'm not sure I will take her back when they go away.

Five months old (even six) is a little young, so I would suggest you check to see if your vet feels your dog has a well developed immune system to be ready for a dog park.

Also, and this is important, this will be a socialization opportunity for your puppy. Make sure the park is not too crowded and prevent your dog from being overwhelmed by all the dogs. They WILL rush to greet your dog, and if there are too many and your dog gets scared, it can cause fear of other dogs and behavior issues. So your first time, go on an off day during off hours, when there are very few dogs there. Ease the dog into it.

My dog park has rules and you can't get in without a membership. Check to see if yours does as well. The rules are pretty comprehensive and will help you.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,347,618 times
Quote:
You could always go without your dog a few times and see how it is, talk to people and just get a feel of what goes on and weather you want to take him or not.
Excellent advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs