Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2023, 09:59 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Last week my dog was walking like she was drunk and falling over. I immediately took her to an emergency veterinarian. He took her vitals and they were good. Fortunately I had a appointment within a few hours for a wellness check. I took her there and she was checked and they said she had old dog syndrome which is vestibular disease a balance issue .

My dog had nystagmus which is the eyes jotting to the left or right and coming back. They have vertigo and their head is tilted. It can come from an ear infection or from some unknown reason.

They generally get better within two or three weeks. I wanted to post this because other dogs may get this. It is very scary to watch in the beginning but my dog on the 4th day the nystagmus left. She is still dizzy but is managing to now walk. For 3 days she was so dizzy she did not get up. She is now on day 9 and I see some improvements. My dog Sheena Is 13 just shy by 2 months of 14 and she is a berger Blanc suisse breed.

Dogs generally recover but some may have a head tilt and can be a little wobbly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 10:37 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
My kitten had this and yes an ear infection didn't help that the vet didn't even see. Also he got it from a product on QVC called the don azlett chain link mat. The mat was made from recycled tires and had petroleum in it. My boy kept rubbing his face all over it like it was a drug to him. My furgirl didn't want anything to do with it.

I came home from work to find him hiding under the bed with his head and eyes jerking to his right side and then back a little to facing the front. He scared the hell out of me. Even like this he was strong enough and scared enough to not let me get him out and into his carrier. Finally I got him and rushed him to the vet then they sent me to a 24 hour vet. I got the dirtiest looks from all of them. They seemed to suspect I poisoned him. I told them what happened and reported that mat to the ASPCA. I have a strong suspicion this is why so many children as well as pets (cats) get what laymen call dizzy kitty syndrome and why some children have learning disabilities and no reaction to almost anything. People, self included, do not realize some of the products we bring into our home do have a serious affect on our pets and children's health.

He was so severely harmed by this he couldn't eat with his head so tilted and wobbling when trying to walk. I had to keep him in the hospital on IV fluids and tube feeding. He finally got better but he always did rub the top of his head up against and along the cabinets. He also had a lot of seizures after that for a few weeks. That poor baby went through so much hell and followed me everywhere when I was home. I think at one point he felt it was me making him like that because he got so nervous all the time that he would stiffen and fall sideways and couldn't move right next to me. I was so relieved when he finally got better. I returned that horrible dangerous mat to the QVC. Never again did buy anything like that on TV.

Old 08-18-2023, 04:08 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
My kitten had this and yes an ear infection didn't help that the vet didn't even see. Also he got it from a product on QVC called the don azlett chain link mat. The mat was made from recycled tires and had petroleum in it. My boy kept rubbing his face all over it like it was a drug to him. My furgirl didn't want anything to do with it.

I came home from work to find him hiding under the bed with his head and eyes jerking to his right side and then back a little to facing the front. He scared the hell out of me. Even like this he was strong enough and scared enough to not let me get him out and into his carrier. Finally I got him and rushed him to the vet then they sent me to a 24 hour vet. I got the dirtiest looks from all of them. They seemed to suspect I poisoned him. I told them what happened and reported that mat to the ASPCA. I have a strong suspicion this is why so many children as well as pets (cats) get what laymen call dizzy kitty syndrome and why some children have learning disabilities and no reaction to almost anything. People, self included, do not realize some of the products we bring into our home do have a serious affect on our pets and children's health.

He was so severely harmed by this he couldn't eat with his head so tilted and wobbling when trying to walk. I had to keep him in the hospital on IV fluids and tube feeding. He finally got better but he always did rub the top of his head up against and along the cabinets. He also had a lot of seizures after that for a few weeks. That poor baby went through so much hell and followed me everywhere when I was home. I think at one point he felt it was me making him like that because he got so nervous all the time that he would stiffen and fall sideways and couldn't move right next to me. I was so relieved when he finally got better. I returned that horrible dangerous mat to the QVC. Never again did buy anything like that on TV.
It is very frightening. I thought my dog had a stroke. She is still recovering and still stumbling around but her head tilt is getting a little better. She did eat and did drink but it was so sad because she could barely lick out of the water bowl because her head was so tilted. She had to be hand fed. For two days she did not sleep at all I was up every hour and her head was just spinning around in a circle with her mouth opened. The vet later prescribed some seasick pills. She was already on a nausea pill.

It sounds you had a very tough time as your little furgirl didn't eat or drink. So sorry you went through this.

I posted this because I had no idea about this syndrome and if anybody reads this they will know what is going on with their pet if they start stumbling around and have a head tilt.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Staystill: be sure to leave reviews about that mat all over the web and call QVC as well.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Staystill: be sure to leave reviews about that mat all over the web and call QVC as well.
I absolutely did!! Thank you for the reminder just in case. I have not seen it on QVC again in years so far. It was a little over 16 years ago and I hope to Christ people saw my reviews back then. Maybe for all I know that is why it's not there anymore.

Old 08-19-2023, 06:24 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Last week my dog was walking like she was drunk and falling over. I immediately took her to an emergency veterinarian. He took her vitals and they were good. Fortunately I had a appointment within a few hours for a wellness check. I took her there and she was checked and they said she had old dog syndrome which is vestibular disease a balance issue .

My dog had nystagmus which is the eyes jotting to the left or right and coming back. They have vertigo and their head is tilted. It can come from an ear infection or from some unknown reason.

They generally get better within two or three weeks. I wanted to post this because other dogs may get this. It is very scary to watch in the beginning but my dog on the 4th day the nystagmus left. She is still dizzy but is managing to now walk. For 3 days she was so dizzy she did not get up. She is now on day 9 and I see some improvements. My dog Sheena Is 13 just shy by 2 months of 14 and she is a berger Blanc suisse breed.

Dogs generally recover but some may have a head tilt and can be a little wobbly.
Wow, I can’t imagine what that was like! I would have thought it was a stroke as well (but I am so glad that it is not!)

FWIW, I’ve had vertigo myself and it SUCKS. It is debilitating and incapacitating. It makes you not want to move because one wrong move and bam! the room is spinning. It is the worst feeling.

So glad that she’s ok and that you posted this, as I didn’t even know that dogs could get it, especially older dogs (like they don’t have enough crap to deal with…)

Old 08-22-2023, 03:57 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I had a dog who had this twice. While he was recovering and still wobbly, I used a bath towel to make a sling under his belly to support him.

This was years ago and I don't remember what med the vet gave him...it may have been a steroid injection... but his symptoms resolved fairly quickly except for a head tilt.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:11 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
This is VERY frightening, but our dog had it and lived two more years with NO after-effects until she died at 16.5 years.

All good wishes to you!

Old 09-04-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is very frightening. I thought my dog had a stroke. She is still recovering and still stumbling around but her head tilt is getting a little better. She did eat and did drink but it was so sad because she could barely lick out of the water bowl because her head was so tilted. She had to be hand fed. For two days she did not sleep at all I was up every hour and her head was just spinning around in a circle with her mouth opened. The vet later prescribed some seasick pills. She was already on a nausea pill.

It sounds you had a very tough time as your little furgirl didn't eat or drink. So sorry you went through this.

I posted this because I had no idea about this syndrome and if anybody reads this they will know what is going on with their pet if they start stumbling around and have a head tilt.
I hope your furbaby gets better soon. dizzy kitty syndrome is what I called it but the vet had a more medical term I forget what my furboys vet called it. It was horrible and to this day I am very selective of what I bring into my home not just if I ever get another furbaby but for myself too. I hope that mat didn't do damage to peoples babies crawling on it. I have no doubt it did damage to young children just starting to crawl around on the floor and that awful thing is there by the doorway. To this day anything I cannot have professionally cleaned or put in a washing machine I will not put on my floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs