Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,012,850 times

Advertisements

So after reading up on the puppy food my breeder if recommending I am not too thrilled with the reviews I have read. Thanks to all who pointed out the negatives of the food.

Adult dog food recommendation by our breeder is for "TASTE OF THE WILD" Dog Food. I could not find it rated on the sites I was researching on. Could not find any rating for it at all. I did find out they sell it about 3 miles away from me which is nice. However since I know absolutely nothing about pet foods at this time I am baffled by simply reading the labels. Gee it sounds great all the meat and low water content etc. Has anyone ever heard of this food? ANy feedback? I can list the ingredients:

Important Information:
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison benefits:

Grain-Free
Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison
Optimal Amino Acids
Antioxidants
Omega Fatty Acid Blend
Digestive Support System
Sweet Potatoes
Berry Blend
Tomatoes & Tomato Pomace
No Corn, No Soy, No By-Products
Chelated Minerals.

Ingredients:
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweat potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein Minimum 32
Crude Fat Minimum 18
Moisture Maximum 10
Crude Fiber Maximum 3
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * Minimum 2.8
Sodium Maximum 0.3
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * Minimum 0.3

Other Product Benefits:
No Grain, No By-Products - Natural grain-free formula with vitamins and minerals offers your pet nutrition for health and vitality.

Roasted Bison & Venison - Found in our High Prairie Canine Formula. Lean meat, roasted for great flavor. These ingredients offer highly digestible protein to help your dog maintain the sleek condition of good health.

Digestive Support System - Dried chicory root, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, fermentation solubles and extracts all work together to help support a healthy digestive system.

Extra Information:
AAFCO Statement:
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Other ingredients in Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison:
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,981 times
TASTE OF THE WILD is rated six star on that pet food website that everyone recommends. It is at the same level as Innova Evo and Canidae. My neighbor who takes care of my dog gives "Taste of The Wild, Roasted Fowl" to my GSD while I was away for two weeks. My dog has very sensitive stomach and she responds well so I am adding the food into her diet and keeping my eye on her.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
TASTE OF THE WILD is rated six star on that pet food website that everyone recommends. It is at the same level as Innova Evo and Canidae. My neighbor who takes care of my dog gives "Taste of The Wild, Roasted Fowl" to my GSD while I was away for two weeks. My dog has very sensitive stomach and she responds well so I am adding the food into her diet and keeping my eye on her.
Where did you find the review? I checked on the link I was given and could not find it. Is it under a different brand name? I would love to read the review. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Go to the website. Click on six star food list and make sure you check out page 2 (it is not on page one).

Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
There's nothing wrong with that food, it's actually something I'd like to get. However, bison and my girl is well nothing to talk about at the family table

Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,634 times
My dogs get some Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison added to their food and they love it. I mix it w/ Embark, a holistic raw diet.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 AM

161 posts, read 384,611 times
From what I hear it's a great food, I have a friend who feeds it to his hybrids and they do great on it. Trust me when I say that finding the right food for your dog is a process and you can't rely on reviews alone! I tried a lot including EVO red meat bites, Innova puppy and Canidae. They are all great food but not great for my little GSDs tummy!!! I would guess the only concern you might run into is the red meat issue. My GSD did NOT do well with read meat, it's much harder for dogs to digest. (especially for sensitive GSDs) Every breed will be different and I went through many different bags before settling on Premium Edge. Try using this website, it's where I got most of my information. Oh and keep in mind if you have a large breed puppy or any puppy for that matter, high protein food is NOT good for them. (red meat) I hope this helps!!!
Dog Food Reviews - Premium Edge Adult Chicken, Rice & Vegetables - Powered by ReviewPost

Old 06-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Thank you all! I am happy to hear that this food is a winner !

Old 06-12-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
There's nothing wrong with that food, it's actually something I'd like to get. However, bison and my girl is well nothing to talk about at the family table
My hubby had a buffalo burger once when we went out to eat. He was never so sick in his life!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
From what I hear it's a great food, I have a friend who feeds it to his hybrids and they do great on it. Trust me when I say that finding the right food for your dog is a process and you can't rely on reviews alone! I tried a lot including EVO red meat bites, Innova puppy and Canidae. They are all great food but not great for my little GSDs tummy!!! I would guess the only concern you might run into is the red meat issue. My GSD did NOT do well with read meat, it's much harder for dogs to digest. (especially for sensitive GSDs) Every breed will be different and I went through many different bags before settling on Premium Edge. Try using this website, it's where I got most of my information. Oh and keep in mind if you have a large breed puppy or any puppy for that matter, high protein food is NOT good for them. (red meat) I hope this helps!!!
Dog Food Reviews - Premium Edge Adult Chicken, Rice & Vegetables - Powered by ReviewPost

Well, my GSD didn't do well with the red meat rich diet too (Canidae and EVo). We just got our blood analysis result back yesterday. My GSD's blood Urea Nitrogen is a bit high and we are wating on her urine analysis. My vet is a bit mad that I added "Taste of wild" into her diet without asking him. So we are back to Eukanuba Low Residue until all the tests are done. I am stressed out and wish everything will be okay with her! Headache!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs