Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:01 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,451,654 times

Advertisements

I've had my dog for about 1.5 years. Actually, she was my daughter's dog, but became our dog when dd moved out. Things went well for awhile, but then, DD moved back with us. Now dog is confused. She sleeps with daughter, but is with me most of the day while DD is busy with work and school.

The dog seems ok when DD is gone, but lately if I'm gone she seems to have problems. She chews up things in MY office and MY closet. She's chewed through several thick wood coat hangers and plastic hangers. She destroyed a couple of wicker baskets. Today I came home and found she chewed through a new Dooney purse Homeowner's insurance might cover that, but the value is less than the insurance deductible.

I don't know what to do about her. I need to remember to keep my closet and office doors closed, but she then finds other things to tear up. She seems to really focus on my things. Could it be some sort of separation anxiety? She's never alone for more than a few hours, today I was just gone a few hours. Is she confused now that DD is back--her first Mommy? Is she expressing anger at me? She's no longer a puppy, so she should be past the puppy chewing phase.

Any suggestions? Its too hot to leave her outside here, today it was 100+. Perhaps an indoor cage/kennel? Perhaps speak with the vet?

I've never had a dog before, just cats. They could care less if you're gone, as long as the food bowl is full and the litter clean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,339,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've had my dog for about 1.5 years. Actually, she was my daughter's dog, but became our dog when dd moved out. Things went well for awhile, but then, DD moved back with us. Now dog is confused. She sleeps with daughter, but is with me most of the day while DD is busy with work and school.

The dog seems ok when DD is gone, but lately if I'm gone she seems to have problems. She chews up things in MY office and MY closet. She's chewed through several thick wood coat hangers and plastic hangers. She destroyed a couple of wicker baskets. Today I came home and found she chewed through a new Dooney purse Homeowner's insurance might cover that, but the value is less than the insurance deductible.

I don't know what to do about her. I need to remember to keep my closet and office doors closed, but she then finds other things to tear up. She seems to really focus on my things. Could it be some sort of separation anxiety? She's never alone for more than a few hours, today I was just gone a few hours. Is she confused now that DD is back--her first Mommy? Is she expressing anger at me? She's no longer a puppy, so she should be past the puppy chewing phase.

Any suggestions? Its too hot to leave her outside here, today it was 100+. Perhaps an indoor cage/kennel? Perhaps speak with the vet?

I've never had a dog before, just cats. They could care less if you're gone, as long as the food bowl is full and the litter clean!
yes, sep anxiety. See my Aussie Mix thread. Same thing going on here, except the dog was owned by someone else until 2.5 months ago. She's 15 months.

Things I've learned from reading and experience:
Don't make it obvious when you are leaving (she'll know anyway, but do the best you can), and don't make a big deal when you get back even if she's been good. Especially if she's been good. Just be nonchalant about leaving and returning.

Remove everything from reach. if she can reach it, she can chew it. Make it easier for her to succeed. Keep cords bundled and behind furniture so she cant chew them.

Leave chew toys and/or treats (Kong type toys with treats inside work for mine) when you leave.

You can try confining them to one room too, so at least damage is limited. I am afraid my dog will dig her way out if I do that so I give her free run of the first floor and just close bathroom/bedroom/closets and I block the stairs.

Yes you can get anxiety meds but I would use that only as a last resort. There are also non-prescription "calming" treats, if you like to spend money on things that probably won't work and probably haven't been extensively tested. I won't waste my money.

Is the dog getting enough exercise? if not, walk her more and play with her more. (this doesn't help with mine but may help you).

Crating is frequently used for separation anxiety. I wouldn't use it as my first line of defense but some people do. Some dogs also destroy crates and can injure themselves escaping. I have never crated a dog in 40 years of dog ownership but I'm considering an indestructible crate if she continues to have issues. Most days, like today, she is perfect though. So I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

What kind of dog?

Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM

I don't know the breed. I just say she's a "mutt". My daughter found her through Craig's List. She's a small dog -- about 25 pounds, short haired, black, while and some brown. I will try to post pictures.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,079,144 times
A tired dog is a good dog. Maybe she isn't getting enough exercise/mental stimulation. You can give her a kong with frozen yogurt or peanut butter to help redirect her chewing issues.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,339,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
A tired dog is a good dog. Maybe she isn't getting enough exercise/mental stimulation. You can give her a kong with frozen yogurt or peanut butter to help redirect her chewing issues.

I've heard of that but it sounds messy.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:51 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,423,587 times
Crate her until you figure it out. Get a solid sided airline-style crate, stick her favorite toys in it and a stuffed kong with goodies. See how she handles it. I think it will calm her down.

My kelpie goes bonkers when I travel. He freaked out at my friend's house and chewed up all kinds of stuff after hulking out of a wire crate. So I had a solid sided crate overnight shipped to her house and he settled right down in it.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions

I will crate her when we leave. I'm going to start this weekend. I will start by letting her
get familiar with the crate while its open and we are home, put her favorite toys, blanket, etc inside, with it open at first, then close it while were home, then leave her in the cage while we go out. I also might try to use her anxiety blanket that we got for Fourth of July fireworks. It seemed to help them. I will start by just using the coat when we are home and nothing anxiety-producing at the time, then wear the coat inside the cage regardless if the café I open or shut. don't want her to associate the cage or the coat with us leaving.

Also I'm keeping stuff she could chew on put up!

Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,409,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I've heard of that but it sounds messy.
Pets ,aka animals are messy so just put
dog on old towel while chewing.
It's really not that
hard to keep a dog happy and if it is maybe don't
have a dog but a cat instead?

Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,409,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Thanks for the suggestions

I will crate her when we leave. I'm going to start this weekend. I will start by letting her
get familiar with the crate while its open and we are home, put her favorite toys, blanket, etc inside, with it open at first, then close it while were home, then leave her in the cage while we go out. I also might try to use her anxiety blanket that we got for Fourth of July fireworks. It seemed to help them. I will start by just using the coat when we are home and nothing anxiety-producing at the time, then wear the coat inside the cage regardless if the café I open or shut. don't want her to associate the cage or the coat with us leaving.

Also I'm keeping stuff she could chew on put up!
While crating has a use I feel sad that so many
adult dogs sit in crates all day waiting for owner to come home.

All dogs should know how to be in a crate but really should
not be kept in them all day and night when adults.

Good luck and maybe after a while your dog will
be able to be left free while you are gone

Old 07-20-2019, 01:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,440,625 times
My dog does that. Just ignored it, they recover fast when i get back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs