Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,964,363 times

Advertisements

Our dog is a fearless bug hunter and hasn't quite figured out that wasps are bad news. Normally this isn't too much of a problem, but this is the season where the wasps are looking for a place to nest for the winter, so they are all over around our place. There aren't any nests, and we keep an eye out to make sure they aren't starting any; but pup takes a chomp on one flying around at least once a day. Poor baby ends up with a swollen lip that doesn't seem to be that painful, just a little bothersome for her. I was wondering if anyone had any home-remedies that would help alleviate some the swelling and discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,103,053 times
I was told to have children's Benadryl on hand just in case. I have a bottle of it but, luckily, Artie's too spastic to catch the bees and wasps that he tries to catch, so I haven't had to use it.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
Benedryl given at 1mg per lb of dog......

bailey got stung on her snout a couple of years ago and it really seemed to bother her.... the benedryl helped......

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM

511 posts, read 2,202,460 times
Glad to hear the benedryl tip... Riley got stung on her paw last week and it swelled up horribly!! We have tons of wasps and yellowjackets in our yard but surprisingly this was the first time she's ever gotten stung. I had her lay for a while with ice packs wrapped around her paw b/c I wasn't sure what else to do for it. The ice seemed to help a bit (she dozed off) but if it happens again I'll try the benedryl.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,006,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Our dog is a fearless bug hunter and hasn't quite figured out that wasps are bad news. Normally this isn't too much of a problem, but this is the season where the wasps are looking for a place to nest for the winter, so they are all over around our place. There aren't any nests, and we keep an eye out to make sure they aren't starting any; but pup takes a chomp on one flying around at least once a day. Poor baby ends up with a swollen lip that doesn't seem to be that painful, just a little bothersome for her. I was wondering if anyone had any home-remedies that would help alleviate some the swelling and discomfort.
I use wet cigarette tobacco on myself for bee and wasp stings. It takes both the poison and the pain out pretty quickly. You'd have to hold it in place for about 10-15 min. I suspect it would work the same on a dog.

I'm not a smoker but I try to keep some on hand in a 1st aid kit for when I do get stung. I'm slightly allergic.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Good to know that Benedryl will work and the dosing. We have a huge stash of antihistamines, but I wasn't sure if any were ok for dogs and how much. She's as big as me, so I think a conservative 25mg (1/2 adult dose) of diphenhydromine should help for the swelling. It doesn't seem to be stopping her from eating or drink although she is drooling a bit more than normal with her puffy lip.

I don't think I could get her to it still long enough for an ice pack on the muzzle, but if she gets nabbed on the paw or something we can try ice or the tobacco.

Luckily she doesn't seem to be allergic because I don't think an epi-pen would be appropriate for a dog, no matter how big, at an adult dose. Since we're 4 hours from the nearet vet, pharmacy or grocery store I don't want to risk it... don't think life-flight would appreciate me calling them for my dog Next time I'm in town, I'll check with the vet and see if he's got anything we can keep here at the house for stings since he was awesome enough to hook us up with quill extractors and lidocaine syringes for her.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 AM

just make ABSOLUTELY sure it is NOTHING but benedryl (can NEVER spell the dyphen-whatever) ..... NOTHING for coughing, NOTHING for headache, NOTHING ELSE but benedryl.......

and yeah, bailey does pretty well with 1/2 the typical adult dose.... 25 mg for her 60 lbs ..... she gets the benefits without the side effects.....

as for other antihistamines, bailey and dave both are on 1 adult strength claritin per day..... again, can not remember the generic name for the medication.... has helped dave's goopy eyes tremendously.... he apparently has year round allergies.... and our (now previous) vet has had him on antibiotics 3 or 4 times so far in the year he has been in our family..... took him to another vet for a different issue a couple of months ago and she told me i could give them the claritin...... bailey gets allergy eyes at different times of the year, depending on what she finds to run through in the woods......

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Ripley is about 120 lbs, and she did respond well to the generic benadryl. She got two wasps yesterday and ended up with a fat lip on both the upper and lower which made it hard for her to drink, so I gave her the meds before dinner and the swelling went down fairly quick. Silly girl just tried to go after another one... guess she's a slow learner or the temptation is just too great.Good to know about the Claritan, we have that as well. So far she hasn't shown any allergies, but she's still a pup and some of our plants don't pollinate every year.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM

bailey is about 60 lbs and dave is about 55 lbs .... you may want to check with the vet and see what the dose of claritin for your girl would be.....

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM

I've got an email in to our vet confirming the doses for both, and whether the epi-pen could be used in an emergency if she started to go into anaphylaxis from the stings. He's pretty awesome dealing with us remote folks, he may even know some of the local medicinal plants that would help.

I just wish she'd learn not to chomp the wasps. A fat lip is one thing, but I'd hate to have her stung in the throat where the swelling could compromise her airway. I really don't want to do an emergency tracheotomy on her

Hopefully she'll figure out that wasps are the only bug our cat doesn't go after for a reason Charlie literally goes bug nuts, but if there's a wasp in the house she just watches it and never chases or tries to swat or eat one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs