U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM

16,462 posts, read 29,413,316 times

Advertisements

So much for my plan to get my group down to four dogs through attrition. I am currently considering younger dogs (on the Best Friends website, ages 5-9) as one of my recent senior adoptions seems to be losing ground and the losses are starting to get too much for me.
I feel guilty for not considering the really old dogs! Maybe I'll assuage this by getting a 5-9 dog who is less adoptable. Some of the dogs that age in BF aren't getting adopted because they are shy and are less enticing to adopters. I think a shy dog might make a poor only dog, if they don't warm up to you, but in a group, they're fine. I've adopted two shysters. One did warm up and became a great pet, and the other one, here almost three years, has warmed up in her own way. (She sleeps on my bed, follows me around, stares at me every minute she's awake, but does not want to be petted).
If anyone is interested, on the Best Friends "Adorable Adoptables," I'm looking hard at Enzo or maybe Aleah. (Enter their names on "keyword").

Also, my youngest, Dodger, is very lively at nine, and the other seniors are not playful with him. He'd really like a buddy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,500,875 times
OMG, Enzo is such a cutie, although I am not buying his designation as 'Australian Cattledog'; he looks all Corgi, especially in the face. I think he'd be great for Dodger, who would help bring Enzo out of his shell. Same for Aleah (can't you adopt them both? ) I used to have a dog that looked like her who was the sweetest ever! Both would be lovely additions to your home and great for Dodger to brighten up and romp with.

I especially feel for Aleah being a survivor of Katrina and not being adopted b/c she isn't 'showing well.' No matter how many hours I volunteer at the shelter, it always amazes me that people are less compassionate and caring towards such [traumatized] animals; those are always the ones that I want to adopt first, so I can't imagine that being a deterrent. Good luck with whatever you decide and ((HUGS)) for saving another life

Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM

16,462 posts, read 29,413,316 times
Well, if I took both, that would give me seven dogs, and my mental limit seems to be six. We shall see. My major priority, given recent events, is that the dogs be able to live with each other to the best of everyone's knowledge. I've had better luck with boy dogs. Maybe Miss Eloise would like to continue to be the queen of the pack.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM

4,971 posts, read 11,645,684 times
I have been in Redwood City all weekend so am seeing your post for the first time. While both dogs are cute I love Enzo! You did watch his video didn't you?He seems to do very well once he knows the person and looks like a sweet guy. Something tells me he would warm up to you fast and then be a very loyal dog as heelers can be like that. If I was in the market for another dog I might just be racing you there for him!

If you have the female Queen , Miss Eloise she would probably do better with a boy like him as when I have had issues it has always been the girls and never the boys I have had.

Phoenix is a shy dog and terrified of Kids which is why she sat at the humane society for months, But once she gets to know a person she greets them tail wagging as she loves seeing people she knows and it really has never taken her long to warm up to people. I just have a feeling Enzo may be alot like her as in his video he seemed to enjoy the people that were with him and looks so happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs