Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times

Advertisements

A little bit of back history: At the end of my short street and around the corner lives a Husky. She's a rambunctious girl who was often tied up out front so that she can watch the goings-on of the 'hood. Every time we walked by, Artie would bark like a madman, and the Husky would pull at her tie out, jumping and curving her back, also barking. Whatever. We'd pass her and that was that. I knew that they'd never get along -- Artie has few friends.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the owner outside and asked where the Husky was because I hadn't seen her in almost a month. "Oh, we tie her out back now, when she's outside." I asked why, and she told me that "the little dog barks a lot so it's easier to have them both out back together." I didn't know that there was a little dog. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

So, it was pretty scary last night. Artie and I went for our usual 8.30pm walk, the last one of the evening, which ends at about 9.00pm. There are three "blocks" in our cul-de-sac. If he poops within the first two blocks, then I take him home. If he doesn't poop, I'll take him around the third block (the Husky's block) to see if maybe he'll do his thing.

We're approaching the end of the block where the Husky's street intersects with mine, but I have no worries. If the Husky is outside, she's out back. There will be no barking. Right? WRONG!

There's the husky. CRAP! And, oh look! She's further than her tie out usually lets her go. Oh look! She's at the street already. CRAP! Oh look! She's IN the street.

And then she's at Artie, on the opposite side of the street. She outweighs him by a lot -- he's 35 pounds; she must be at least 80. And she's tall. She's ON him. Her mouth is around Artie's neck. There's barking and there's growling.

And there's screaming -- that's me. I'm screaming at the top of my lungs, like I'm being murdered. High-pitched primal screams.

Out come the couple who own the Husky. They come running over. They yell for her to come as they're approaching. She stops what she's doing ("attacking" Artie). And we walk away. I'm shaking like a leaf. The pepper spray was in my pocket. Honestly, I didn't even think about it -- I was intent on just SCREAMING.

In truth, had I thought of the pepper spray, I wouldn't have been able to use it lest I also risk spraying Artie, which was not an option. Had I been carrying a stick, it would not have been an option either -- it took all my strength to hold onto Artie, trying to get him out from under her.

My husband was surprised that the couple didn't say anything to me -- like apologize -- but I know what was going on... they were terrified. I'm sure if they had had their wits about them, they would have said that they were sorry. But I think that they were so shocked and scared, they just wanted to get their Husky inside. And, truthfully, as soon as the Husky was off Artie, I just walked away with him.

The whole thing, by the way -- although it felt like forever -- could not have spanned more than a minute.

Sooooo... any suggestions about how to handle a situation like this, assuming that pepper spray cannot be sprayed? Also assume that I will not have a stick. Is there a better option that SCREAMING my guts out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
What is with the huskies these days? We don't go to dog parks for this very reason, huskies! PC was attacked by huskies so many times, I've lost count! And MB? He was mauled a couple of weeks ago, I thought that husky was going to kill him the way it was biting him! Luckily for him, he's very submissive and just cried while being mauled! I hate to be one of *those* people, but my dogs have been attacked by huskies specifically one too many times, it's never any other breed! 100% of the huskies we have met so far have been extremely aggressive, so I won't let them anywhere near them after what I've been through, especially with MB a few weeks back. I'm just glad he's still alive! That was by far the worst thing I have ever witnessed and I couldn't even do anything to help my poor dog that was being mauled as the husky's owner just stands and watches!

Honestly D, I have no idea what to do in situations like that. MB was attacked on leash, just like Artie. The dog was ripping him apart, MB was screaming like I never heard, then the husky went after every single dog that he came across! We called animal control/cops, but other than reporting, not sure what else we can do. I don't want to carry pepper spray because I don't want my innocent dog getting sprayed in the face, but I'm out of ideas. Ours happen outside of dog parks, which is very scary since those dogs should be leashed. Maybe carry something that makes a ton of noise to distract? I hate people that own aggressive dogs and refuse to put up with it any longer. Socialize your damn dog or don't go out in public unmuzzled. I did my part in socializing mine, they could at least return the favor if they plan on going to places with other dogs around.

Sorry you went through that, I know exactly what it feels like!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 AM

I'm sure I was more traumatized than Artie was -- I checked every inch of his body when we got home, and I *forced* him to sleep with me -- and I'm still feeling shaken up.

I'm not calling AC on them -- they're my neighbors, and it wasn't like they purposely let their dog loose -- but it was CRAZY last night. Seriously, it didn't last more than a minute -- if even that -- but it felt like I was screaming for weeks on end. My throat is still raw.

Artie isn't well-socialized -- except with his friends -- so I know my limitations. The only thing that I can suggest to these neighbors is that although it may be easier to just let the dog be outside on a tie-out, maybe they should opt for the less easy way and be out there WITH her so that they can nip this in the bud should it ever happen again.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,008,863 times
I hope Artie's ok.

Your options are pretty limited in CT. It seems most non-lethal self defense weapons are either restricted from civilian ownership or illegal outside of your home.

I'd suggest rethinking carrying a walking stick as it seems to be one of your few legal options that would allow you to specifically target an attacking animal. Alternately use the pepper spray. The temporary discomfort to Artie from getting hit with pepper spray would be much easier to deal with than serious injuries from an attacking dog.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Cattle prod.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I hope Artie's ok.

Your options are pretty limited in CT. It seems most non-lethal self defense weapons are either restricted from civilian ownership or illegal outside of your home.

I'd suggest rethinking carrying a walking stick as it seems to be one of your few legal options that would allow you to specifically target an attacking animal. Alternately use the pepper spray. The temporary discomfort to Artie from getting hit with pepper spray would be much easier to deal with than serious injuries from an attacking dog.
Thanks, outback.

The stick would be difficult for me. I'm short, Artie's a handful, and -- honestly -- I'd be hard-pressed to use my own physical force (limited as that may be) on a dog.

Good point, though, about the pepper spray. It could hurt Artie in the short-term, possibly, but easily prevent any serious injuries.

Now, if I could just remember to stop screaming and use it.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Cattle prod.
You mean with voltage?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Yep.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yep.
This terrifies me. Although some people say that the dog will be surprised at the first "shock" and then give you a wide berth after the second, I just read this on Leerburg | How to Break up a Dog Fight without getting hurt :

Quote:
People talk about using cattle prods or shock collars to break up 2 pets that fight. I can tell you that many times this is not going to work. The electric cattle prod or electric collar will only put the dogs into higher fight drive. When they are shocked they will turn and bite the prod, or when they are shocked they will think the other dog is causing the pain and they will fight harder. An electric collar is best used in conditioning training, but not during an actual dogfight.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,010 times
Oh my gosh! How scary!! I can't give much advice because I would probably be screaming as well. Poor Artie..but if anything, I would at least try to mention to your neighbors that they should be out with the husky if its not fenced in. I'm sure they were just as shaken up but a friendly suggestion would do no harm. Maybe try kneeing the dog if (and I truly hope nothing like this happens again to you) this should occur again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
What is with the huskies these days? We don't go to dog parks for this very reason, huskies! PC was attacked by huskies so many times, I've lost count! And MB? He was mauled a couple of weeks ago, I thought that husky was going to kill him the way it was biting him! Luckily for him, he's very submissive and just cried while being mauled! I hate to be one of *those* people, but my dogs have been attacked by huskies specifically one too many times, it's never any other breed! 100% of the huskies we have met so far have been extremely aggressive, so I won't let them anywhere near them after what I've been through, especially with MB a few weeks back. I'm just glad he's still alive! That was by far the worst thing I have ever witnessed and I couldn't even do anything to help my poor dog that was being mauled as the husky's owner just stands and watches!
I have seen this trend as well but I think a lot of it relates back to people who get huskies that don't really understand the breed. They can be a really tough breed if not trained properly with a lot of exercise, training, and socialization. They're gorgeous dogs and so many people just get one for the looks, knowing nothing about the work they take. I had a husky when I was young and she was by far the best dog my parents ever had..my mom called her the best babysitter in town because she was so good with making sure I didn't get too close to the street or if I fell she'd run inside and get my mom but that was because they spent a lot of time training her..but anyway, many of the ill behaved dogs I've seen in dog parks are due to irresponsible owners..research the breed before getting a pretty dog ...sorry for the rant but we saw two beautiful australian shepherds with a very irresponsible owner this past weekend and it drove me nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs