Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,575,114 times

Advertisements

It took a while for me to get over the loss of our beloved Golden Retriever. We are contemplating adopting again from a rescue organization. I originally thought about getting another Golden because they really are good family dogs and for the most part are good with children. (Sam was EXCELLENT with children. He was probably the most gentle soul I knew). I've also traditionally shied away from the small breeds due to their compatibility issues with small children (I know, case by case basis, but from personal observation and anecdotal stories, toy breeds aren't the best with small children, just like dwarf rabbits aren't either). My kids are older now and definitely respectful of animals. At the same time, a large jumpy dog can startle my six year old and knock her over. So, we are considering a pug. I've read that they tolerate kids pretty well and like to be involved with the family, a quintessential family dog. We have done research, so we know about their myriad health issues due to their face. My questions are:

1. Are pugs indeed good with children?
2. Can pugs tolerate being alone for 8-10 hours on weekdays (we work, kids go to school)?
3. I've heard housetraining can be a challenge? Is this true with older rescue dogs?
4. Any other helpful information pug owners would like to share?

We are also still considering adopting a middle aged/senior Golden. Also I've heard Basset Hounds are good with kids. Is that true?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,797,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It took a while for me to get over the loss of our beloved Golden Retriever. We are contemplating adopting again from a rescue organization. I originally thought about getting another Golden because they really are good family dogs and for the most part are good with children. (Sam was EXCELLENT with children. He was probably the most gentle soul I knew). I've also traditionally shied away from the small breeds due to their compatibility issues with small children (I know, case by case basis, but from personal observation and anecdotal stories, toy breeds aren't the best with small children, just like dwarf rabbits aren't either). My kids are older now and definitely respectful of animals. At the same time, a large jumpy dog can startle my six year old and knock her over. So, we are considering a pug. I've read that they tolerate kids pretty well and like to be involved with the family, a quintessential family dog. We have done research, so we know about their myriad health issues due to their face. My questions are:

1. Are pugs indeed good with children?
2. Can pugs tolerate being alone for 8-10 hours on weekdays (we work, kids go to school)?
3. I've heard housetraining can be a challenge? Is this true with older rescue dogs?
4. Any other helpful information pug owners would like to share?

We are also still considering adopting a middle aged/senior Golden. Also I've heard Basset Hounds are good with kids. Is that true?

Thanks!!

1. Generally, yes.

2. With appropriate potty breaks they should be fine BUT they're not outside dogs. They overheat pretty easily.

3. Small dogs are generally harder to train then bigger dogs. Any rescue dog may have a period of adjustment and have some housebreaking issues when you first get it home. The rescue should be able to tell you if the dog is housebroken.

4. See 2 above about overheating. Generally, they're not active dogs so if you want a dog to go on long walks or play ball for hours, this isn't the breed for you. An older pug may be too sedentary for an active family.

Bassets are usually people friendly but hounds are very independent and much less concerned about pleasing their people than a golden.

It sounds to me like a calm middle-aged golden would be your best bet.

Good luck with whatever you decide and thank you for rescuing.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 AM

25,705 posts, read 17,477,129 times
Pugs shed terribly. So make friends with your Hoover. Or whatever.

I've been around Goldens who are wonderful dogs. Somehow, I never met a Pug I was really fond of.

Our Great Pyranees mix also sheds, and while it is a pain, the temperament of this gentle giant makes up for it. We just vacuum..... And vacuum. 100 pounds for the females. Verrrrrrry tolerant and patient and obedient.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM

965 posts, read 945,034 times
Maybe look to adopt a pug x beagle (or almost any pug mix depending on the mix). I have the feeling there are plenty in rescue, since they have become a designer breed.
The breathing problems shouldn't be as bad in the heat. They should be better for an active family than a pug.

I have just loved almost every pug I have met, I just couldn't live with the breathing issues, and the fact they can't exercise. And a few I know have been intolerant of other dogs (because they weren't socialized). I have found them to be very happy creatures.

I have had all types and size of dogs, and I think the smaller dogs end up being referred to as harder to housebreak because people aren't paying attention.
They are exactly the. Same as larger dogs to housebreak imo. With smaller dogs I think people tolerate a dime size pee, where a big dog lake gets noticed. I agree with the above about the time needed to settle first, but rescue should know if it is a housebroken dog.
Ymmv, everyone's might!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM

2,506 posts, read 2,517,208 times
10 hours a day alone?

Unless are you going to hire a dog walker, get a cat.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks guys for all the info.

Unfortunately the golden rescue rejected our application due to having a child under age 8, even though we were previous adopters. Pretty bummed out about that. So unless we are going the puppy route from a breeder, goldens aren't an option until she turns 8 in two years.

So we are now considering pugs and other kid friendly breeds. To also throw something into the mix, someone "liberated" their rabbit and he nearly got hit by a car. We volunteered to keep him since no one claimed him and the family that was keeping him already had a house full of animals. So, we will need a dog that can get along with a rabbit as well..though the rabbit will be in an enclosure and the dog will not be around when he's out of it.

Cat isn't an option. I'm afraid that I'm not a cat person. We've kept dogs before despite working average hours.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM

32,759 posts, read 48,460,461 times
Pugs tend to be calm and lazy. Some are good with children, some don't have enough patience.

Their eyes are easily injured, so they are OK for calm considerate children, but not OK for wild children who want to play rough. Because they are small, people allow them to jump up on people and they could claw and scratch a child. Often, they are encouraged to jump up on people.

A mature adult pug might be OK when left alone all day, if he had a dog door and a secure place to go outside for a few minutes.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pugs tend to be calm and lazy. Some are good with children, some don't have enough patience.

Their eyes are easily injured, so they are OK for calm considerate children, but not OK for wild children who want to play rough. Because they are small, people allow them to jump up on people and they could claw and scratch a child. Often, they are encouraged to jump up on people.

A mature adult pug might be OK when left alone all day, if he had a dog door and a secure place to go outside for a few minutes.
Thank you for sharing. Our children are, thankfully, calm and considerate and definitely are aware of dog etiquette. My eldest had been with our Golden for five years of her life and is innately calm. My youngest is a bit more rowdy but is totally calm with animals. She pets them, that's about it.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,448,825 times
With kids involved, I would go with a puggle rather than a full pug. I almost never recommend designer "breeds" but in the case of pugs, the puggle seems to me to be a definite improvement. I've known several, and they are a blast. But they don't have all the potential health problems - the buggy eyes, the squashed face - and tend to just be a little sturdier in terms of build. Pugs are great little dogs, but a puggle might be better for your purposes.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,529,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
...Unfortunately the golden rescue rejected our application due to having a child under age 8, even though we were previous adopters. Pretty bummed out about that. So unless we are going the puppy route from a breeder, goldens aren't an option until she turns 8 in two years...

There are always dog breeders who are looking for good homes for their female dogs that are past their breeding days. Many of these females are Champions. They've been socialized and, although they may be a little older than what you might want (5-6 years old), they make wonderful pets.

You can find the breeders by going to dog shows in your area and visiting at ringside. Dont try to strike up a conversation with someone who's getting ready to take a dog into the ring -- but let people know that you're interested in buying a retired male or female.

There are also very good dogs who are 2-3 years old who may be lovely dogs but, for one reason or anther, just didnt have what it takes to become a Champion. The breeders/owners of those dogs often will sell them to good pet homes. I got some of my most beloved dogs that way over the years.

In addition to going to dog shows, you can contact the local Golden Retriever dog club and let its members know that you're looking for a nice adult dog. Here's the link to the Austin Golen Retriever Club:
http://www.austingoldenretrieverclub.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs