Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times

Advertisements

Just switched to the Costco version of TOTW and I want to minimize trips to Costco by buying a few bags at a time. I can't find any attractive containers to store 80 lbs of food...but am thinking of getting this Vittles Vault Gamma Vittles Vault Pet Food Container at PETCO

Does anyone have this? If so, is it wide enough to put bags of food (still in the bag) inside, or do you have to dump the food in? If you have to dump it in, is it hard to reach the food in the bottom of the container?

I was also thinking about buying two of these, as they might be easier to access Vittles Vault: Vittles Vault Stackable Storage Container at PETCO

Anyone have these products, or a better storage solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
I have the Gamma Vittle Vault Plus for my small dogs and I like it a lot, I buy small bags (8-10 lbs) and they fit fine in it in the orig. bag, not sure about the larger sizes though, it would prob. be a tight squeeze. I also have one I got at Target that's on wheels (which tend to fall off if I lift it up), otherwise it works well but I like the VV better. I like the idea of keeping the food in the bag and then in the container, just in case there's another recall, you'd know what the serial #'s are of the food you're feeding.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
I mix a few types of kibble together so I always have more than one bag of food in the house.

What I do is make my mixture and put it in this, which I keep in the kitchen pantry:

Iris Air-Tight Pet Food Storage Container - Cat - Free Ship - PetSmart

As for the open bags of food, from which I'll make my next mixture, I keep them in the basement in one of these:

Ultra Latch Storage Boxes - 4 Piece Set (116-qt.) : Target

Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 AM

96 posts, read 125,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Just switched to the Costco version of TOTW and I want to minimize trips to Costco by buying a few bags at a time. I can't find any attractive containers to store 80 lbs of food...but am thinking of getting this Vittles Vault Gamma Vittles Vault Pet Food Container at PETCO

Does anyone have this? If so, is it wide enough to put bags of food (still in the bag) inside, or do you have to dump the food in? If you have to dump it in, is it hard to reach the food in the bottom of the container?

I was also thinking about buying two of these, as they might be easier to access Vittles Vault: Vittles Vault Stackable Storage Container at PETCO

Anyone have these products, or a better storage solution?
I got the 50lbs version of Gamma Vittles Vault Pet Food Container. It's not wide enough to put a large bag (30lbs+) inside of it; so you will have to dump the food into the container. No, it's not hard to reach the food in the bottom and you can also turn it over and dump out the left-over content if needed to.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
We use the stackable model.
We also use a SimpleHuman garbage container to store food.
(We use two different types of dog food.)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 AM

889 posts, read 2,714,229 times
I went to the link you provided and read the reviews. Now I'm interested, too! One of the reviewers said petco.com has free shipping and something about a $10.00 off coupon. May want to check that out. Best wishes!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,692,605 times
I got two commerical garbage cans from Tractor Supply a few years ago. They cost only a fraction of what those special pet food containers cost and come in so many types and shapes, it would drive you nuts trying to decide. You can get a sample of whats out there by looking at Material Handling Equipment & Industrial Supplies: C&H Distributors. dont look at their prices since most are available locally or locally on similar type items for much less.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
i got 2 of these: Bergan Stackable Pet Food Storage Bins - Food Storage & Scoops - Bowls & Feeders - PetSmart

from petsmart about 5 years ago when we brought bailey home .... one for cat kibble and one for dog kibble.... the medium sized bin holds about 50 lbs of kibble.... they hold a LOT more than they look like they would.....

great purchase, as far as i am concerned......

Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,815 times
I have the stackable version, suitable for 40 pounds of food. I definitely have to pour the food in, rather than manipulate the bag into the opening.

I know a few people who use stainless steel step trashcans for their petfood storage.

My brother and his wife use a large plastic storage container...like the kind you'd store your seasonal decorations in.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times
Thanks for the replies. A few years ago I used a large Rubbermaid container but ants invaded and I had to toss the food!

The other options posted are intriguing, but I need something my dogs can't open...because mine are very motivated by food and will find a way to get into things

I wish a local store carried these options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs