U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:52 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,087,351 times

Advertisements

Mine is not particularly empathetic -- no more so than on "normal" occasions -- but his sister (who belongs to my parents) is EXTREMELY empathetic and intuitive. Her name is Zoey, and we call her Zoey Nightingale because she's so attuned to everyone's moods and physical conditions. If you're sick, she plasters herself against you and absolutely will not leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,044,269 times
Yes ours do.
One of our Rotts can sense me having a low blood sugar coming on. Sounds odd but true. She doesn't do it all the time, only when I'm really low. She's my hero.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
Our dog Cloe (who weighs 50 lbs.), gets excited and jumps on us first thing in the morning and when it's time for her walk.

My husband had surgery on his shoulder last week and he was a little nervous about Cloe jumping and maybe hurting his shoulder. When we came home from the hospital, she watched me help him into the house and she must have sensed that something was wrong. She has not jumped once and acts very calm around my husband.

Does your dog act differently when you are sick?
Of course they do. It's reciprocal.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 AM

426 posts, read 1,520,606 times
This is a timely thread I've been sick all week, and Sienna totally knows it. She's been laying by my bed more than usual, and she doesn't want to leave me to go for a walk with my roommate. She's just reluctant, but will go eventually, except for once the other day. My roommate called her to come outside, and Sienna, who was laying at the foot of my bed, didn't move. So my roommate called her again, and she jumped up on the bed and lay down, staring at my roommate. She was totally saying, nope, not going, I'm gonna stay here with my mom who needs me! It was so cute and sweet. She only did this on the day I felt the worst too. It is amazing how they know.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,364,307 times
Oh yes my dogs do. Sometimes my back kind of gives out and my big guy jumps on the bed and gets as close as he can to my back kind of like a living heating pad.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,031,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
Our dog Cloe (who weighs 50 lbs.), gets excited and jumps on us first thing in the morning and when it's time for her walk.

My husband had surgery on his shoulder last week and he was a little nervous about Cloe jumping and maybe hurting his shoulder. When we came home from the hospital, she watched me help him into the house and she must have sensed that something was wrong. She has not jumped once and acts very calm around my husband.

Does your dog act differently when you are sick?
Of course they do, cats as well.

When any of our family members get sick, our pets seem to want to be in close proximity to whomever is ill. It's almost like they're 'human-sitting'.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM

511 posts, read 2,147,353 times
My grams had several rescue dogs over the years. The first was Festus, a black lab mix who had been shot. When Fessy passed away of old age, my grams adopted Brewster, a shepherd/cattle dog mix who was found wandering around with a huge nail driven completely through his paw.

Last spring, grams was diagnosed with a very advanced cancer. She and Brewster had to leave their home in MI to stay with my aunt in MN, so that she could go to the Mayo Clinic for treatment. Brewster was her ever present shadow, from morning till night. On the days she was at the clinic, he would pace, or lay in her room waiting for her to return.

When all tests and treatments had been exahusted at Mayo, my grams & Brewy went back to MI. Brewster became even more protective and hardly left her side. He stayed near her every moment that he could. The day she passed, he seemed to know what was comming and would not leave her side for anything. After she was gone, he still kept gaurd over her room.

There's no words to express... Dogs are such wonderful companions. I know Brewster was a wonderful comfort and friend to my grams. She loved him very much and he loved her back completely. He knew something was wrong and did all he could in his own way to try to help.

It gave grams peace of mind to know he was going to be taken care of after she passed... Brewster now lives with my sisters in the mountains here in WY... his backyard is a pine forest with a stream and a big back porch to nap on.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM

10,452 posts, read 12,021,482 times
My dog is gentler with me when he knows I'm not feeling well, and he will lie on the painful part to act as a heat pad. It's the sweetest thing. I should add he naturally alerts me to sounds I don't hear and things I can't see without having had any formal training as a service animal, too. Animals are very in tune.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM

414 posts, read 972,336 times
Default I Think So.

Bear always has an idea when we aren't feeling well or if we are upset about something too. My husband was home sick the other day and Bear layed in bed with him all morning, just cuddling. If something is bothering one of us he has a sense of it.

Actually, I think he knew when I was pregnant. Usually he jumps on me (he's a pomeranian, so just a little guy!) but while I was pregnant he was more cautious as to how he jumped on me and always layed his head on my belly. (It was kind of funny when he got kicked one night by the baby! He wasn't expecting that!) He just seemed to sense that something was different. Someone said that he could possibly hear the heartbeat (though I don't know about that) or feel very slight movement our daughter was making. Whatever it was, we are pretty sure he knew.

It's kind of funny but he and our daughter have a pretty special bond. Even though she's only 9 1/2 months old, he loves playing with her, he lets her pull at his fur, she likes coming home to Bear greeting her with kisses...it's just too cute! Bear sleeps in our bed, but we are pretty sure that when he can cuddle up to our daughter that he will. He's gonna be her buddy.

So, I think they can definitely tell if you are sick and possibly more. They are very intuitive to our emotions and what is going on.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 PM

18,840 posts, read 35,967,666 times
Yes, my dog Sam, he was normally quite entitled, and would bark at me to tell me it was time to feed him, time to take him out, time to play ball...and when I was sick, he just came over, nuzzled my hand, and licked me. No barking, nothing annoying, and he brought me all the toys from the entire house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs