Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:57 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with this cross. I've just been browsing some different newspaper ads, not even looking really, just glancing like I do from time to time to see whats in there. I saw an add for this and wondered what anyone's opinion on how a pup from this might turn out. I'm sure its impossible to know without specific parent information. I'm more worried about Hip Dysplaysia then temperament. I think this was just a accidental pet breeding so I'm sure no certs. Both parents were AKC reg, which doesn't mean top quality but the lineage could be looked at. With the traits of the breeds it might be hard to predict at all personality. I'm just wondering what an opinion would be on them. The pups are cute, sable type coloring. They are 10wks. I've known a couple people with Bullmastiff x Rottweiler that were great pets. They are just really big..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Does anyone have experience with this cross. I've just been browsing some different newspaper ads, not even looking really, just glancing like I do from time to time to see whats in there. I saw an add for this and wondered what anyone's opinion on how a pup from this might turn out. I'm sure its impossible to know without specific parent information. I'm more worried about Hip Dysplaysia then temperament. I think this was just a accidental pet breeding so I'm sure no certs. Both parents were AKC reg, which doesn't mean top quality but the lineage could be looked at. With the traits of the breeds it might be hard to predict at all personality. I'm just wondering what an opinion would be on them. The pups are cute, sable type coloring. They are 10wks. I've known a couple people with Bullmastiff x Rottweiler that were great pets. They are just really big..lol
can I see a pic? ...sounds cute!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Here is a link to the photo in the ad if it works.

http://is.realcities.com/is/catalyst/I601d0d5/f6tao8r3/i-0.jpg?t=tr/w:500/h:500/m:FitPad (broken link)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
I would be worried about Hip Problems .. thats one mix to have lol..

cute Pups.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 15,190 times
They are great dogs, very loving and loyal. They are very protective and are great for a family. I had mine for 7 years, she died earlier due to complications of being antifreeze poisoned as a pup. I'm currently looking for another masiff-rot mix.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Any time you have a mix like this, the outcome is not very predictable. You could get a great one or a dud.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Like any breed, they'll be what you make of them. I too would be really worried about the hips though. I had a mastiff that had horrible hips and had to have her put to sleep at only five years old. It's heartbreaking to lose them so young.

That said, I saw an adult male in a rescue in NY a while back that I really thought about driving up to adopt...... He was just a big old teddy bear. And then I remembered how hard it was to lose Cleo at such a young age.

Anytime anyone breeds different breeds of dogs intentionally it ticks me off. I hate that. They're just mutts and we've got plenty of them being killed in shelters all over this country every day.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Default Rottweiler lover...

We have 3 Rotts and I've know a couple bullmastiffs. Love them both.
We will ALWAYS have Rotts...just our choice. Wonderful dogs.
Bull mastiffs can be slobbery, that's a given.
You never know what will happen down the road with the hips.
Our guys are 90#...105# & 120#...no hip problems, just some arthritis as age creeps in.We take care of that with suplmnts.

Good Luck & show us a photo if you get one.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 PM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
I have a St BernardXRott, she's a great dog. She has more of a Rott temperament and build. No joint problems at age 4 years, but does have very sensitive skin. Outstanding watchdog and great with my kids.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,387 times
Hello,

I have a female rott x bull mastiff and she is very very pretty, as well as being a huge sooky 50kg lap dog!
Gorgeous temperament and fantastic guard dog - as long as she doesn't meet them (she would lick them to death once she stops barking!)
She is 10 now and can no longer go on long walks because of the hip problems which started in adulthood but glucosamine supps and river swimming have helped.
I would never want another breed, beautiful cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs