Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:49 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,665,009 times

Advertisements

I don't want her to but the kids do and she has friends who have promised to buy one. The dog is an 8 lb Shih Tzu/Yorkie mix. The father would be their other dog who is poodle Shih Tzu mix. The problem is the male is larger. She is full grown and he will be about 16 to 18 lbs full grown. One vet said it is fine and the other vet said not to. Her friend has has done it with her small poodle and larger dog, she said it was fine. I don't like it. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,266,850 times
There are enough mutts around...we don't need people breeding more mutts because the "kids want them to", etc. I'm with you, I don't like it either.

Something I've found as a general rule...people are less likely to care for an animal properly if there was very little cost or effort put into obtaining that animal. This isn't always the case but I've seen it a lot.

Now, someone that researches breeders, is screened by the breeder, waits for months for a litter, invests thousands of dollars in purchasing the dog, etc. is more likely to take care of the dog properly and show it a good home. Most mutt litters do nothing to screen who is receiving the dog and those that get these "free to good home" dogs have very little reason to care for the dog properly.

We take care of our two pups because we love them and are part of our family, however, the investment we made of time, money ($1600 each), and effort is another reason they need to be cared for properly.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 PM

350 posts, read 479,594 times
Small dogs often have delivery problems. Find out how much a canine caesarean will cost if she is unable to naturally deliver the pups. If she can't feed them, they will have to be hand fed every two hours for the first couple weeks. She should be totally prepared for all the potentials of such a breeding.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:36 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,432,926 times
You might mention to your daughter that a C-section costs over $2,000 and any pooch that small might possibly have difficulty in giving birth. Lots of expense or else let the kids enjoy the miracle of watching their small pet suffer for hours and die.

Make sure the daughter pays for CERF for both dogs before she breeds them to make sure the pups won't have genetic blindness.

If the kids need to see the miracle of birth, I suggest that they take up raising meat rabbits. The kids can enjoy all the babies and then the family can eat them, so finding good homes will not be an issue.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM

48,641 posts, read 35,125,318 times
Kids are kids, what they want isn't high on my list when it comes to making decisions.

On vet told you not to, and I would think that should be enough. Why would you risk a pet unnecessarily?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 PM

122 posts, read 125,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the kids need to see the miracle of birth, I suggest that they take up raising meat rabbits. The kids can enjoy all the babies and then the family can eat them, so finding good homes will not be an issue.
Good idea!

I know a Standard Poodle breeder who did this when her kids were young and were in 4H.

The culls can also be used as dog food. I buy them from a local guy for my dogs.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 PM

246 posts, read 279,778 times
Recommend against this. There are enough unwanted dogs in our world. All of our pets have come from rescues or animal control. The expense is not worth it not to mention the health of the pet if anything goes wrong.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:24 PM

5,657 posts, read 6,257,002 times
I agree with the above posters. There are to many unwanted dogs already and the risk is not worth it. I would spay her rather than breed her.

If you want the experience of birth another option would be to contact a local shelter and serve as a foster for a mom and her pups.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,803,699 times
Spay!!! My dog is PERFECT and never had a litter.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,652,479 times
Another "no" vote.

Always use the larger female when breeding. Otherwise, as mentioned, you might end up with a huge vet bill and/or a dead mother dog.

Have the little female spayed ASAP. Leave breeding to breeders who have a sound plan and plenty of buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs