U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,769,100 times

Advertisements

I thought my dog was potty trained and his accident days were over....not I just caught him peeing on a small carpet in the bathroom that I usually put his water at night and food sometimes. I shouldn't have, but I screamed at him. I was using puppy pads until this summer. Now and then he would use those pads but not often anymore, so I took them away. Does accidents happen to your dogs still~? Should I put the pads back in use~?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,795,902 times
How old is your pup? Using puppy pads can confuse a dog. Since he has been used to peeing in the house then he thinks it's OK. You need to get rid of the pads all together and start letting him know that you want him to go outside and only outside. Also I would pick up the water at night.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
How old is your pup? Using puppy pads can confuse a dog. Since he has been used to peeing in the house then he thinks it's OK. You need to get rid of the pads all together and start letting him know that you want him to go outside and only outside. Also I would pick up the water at night.
My dog is 3 years old. I took them away this past August cause he was hardly using them anyways, just when the weather was bad outside like rain. He has signs to tell me he has to go outside, but he never did. I use a rug to put his water there at night (sometimes food), but forgot lately. I use a rug incase he spills it. Lately, I have noticed "a smell", but maybe he's gone in this room too where my pc is...well, he did as a puppy, I know.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 PM

18,840 posts, read 35,963,493 times
Yep, when they think it is okay to go in the house, you are back to square one.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:35 PM

My dog is a Yorkshire Terrier, and Terriers like this are difficult to train. Took me a long time to train him. I tried everything and finally he caught on or decided to go outside. It is just when it is raining, he doesn't like to go out in the rain....even with a raincoat and umbrella (me of course).

Old 10-10-2010, 03:23 AM

13,759 posts, read 37,447,697 times
Why not litterbox train him? Most likely the rug smells of pee [to him]....

Old 10-10-2010, 08:40 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,795,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
My dog is a Yorkshire Terrier, and Terriers like this are difficult to train. Took me a long time to train him. I tried everything and finally he caught on or decided to go outside. It is just when it is raining, he doesn't like to go out in the rain....even with a raincoat and umbrella (me of course).
They may be difficult to train but not impossible. I had a Dachshund that took longer then any dog I have owned but I just kept at it and she eventual got it and went outside no matter the weather. You need to go back to basic potty training, sounds like he is going potty inside more then you may know.

When he goes out really praise him and give him a yummy treat. Your also going to need to clean the areas where he has peed with something like natures miracle to get rid of smell. At 3 years old your dog should be fully house trained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs