Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,065,244 times

Advertisements

Which do you consider when purchasing a puppy~? Would you consider AKC or CKC, and why~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:23 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,408,078 times
CKC is a MUTT reg! Simple as that! While AKC dont guarentee the qulity of your puppy they do say Parents Must be purebred of the Same Breed!!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:26 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,035,729 times
Unless you know that the lineage is quality, either is BS.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,408,078 times
When CKC started they Took Any dog! They actuall Advertised themselves as a place to reg Mutts/Mix & Cross Breeds!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Well, I did find an online site for CKC. They have events and all sort of things for CKC. They even have a notice about scams of dogs on there. It seems like there are real honest in that sense.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:35 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,452,243 times
Canadian Kennel Club is very reputable, however I think the OP is referring to the Continental KC which is iffy at best. AKC is good but there's scammers in every registry, keep in mind nothing is foolproof. If you're going to a breeder, get ref's and find out (and read) the health guarantee so there's no surprises down the road. Would also want to know (and get in writing) what genetic testing the parents have had so as not to perpetuate health problems that can pop up in various breeds, it's really not enough for them to say that the vet said their dog is the picture of health, some breeds have eye problems, others hip and knees and so on.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:16 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,315,586 times
CKC is the Canadian version of the AKC. That said, anyone can get papers for their puppies, you can buy them off the internet. If you're looking for a specific breed breeder, contact their club to get a list of reputable breeders in your area. So if you're looking for say a Pug, contact the Pug Club of America, they'll point you in the right direction. Don't go by the certification, make sure your breeder does extensive health testing, has few litters, waiting lists for future litters, is actively showing the dogs and conforms to breed standards.

And, to weed out byb, check out this list.

BYB vs. Reputable breeder

Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,315,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
CKC is a MUTT reg!
The Canadian Kennel Club is a very reputable club and exactly like its American counterpart, the AKC. Its focus is on purebred dogs. They have shows and trials, just like the AKC. CKC can stand for 2 things, the Canadian Kennel Club (reputable) and Continental Kennel Club (not reputable). It's important to find out which it is.

Canadian Kennel Club

If you're going to avoid any kennel club, it's the UKC you should avoid. The AKC is getting stricter lately and unless the papers are fake, the breeder has to conform to their standards.

About Dog Registries and Kennel Clubs

Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM

I've always heard that CKC are people that are "backyard breeders" or breed mix breeds. I have no plans in getting another dog. I have a AKC Yorkshire Terrier and I don't think he would want another dog around, tho I have thought about it. He ignores me and the dog when we met some dogs in the past. He's even picky of who he chooses to associate in the neighborhood of dogs here. He's fine with the Lab/Husky mix, his buddy as the neighbor refers to. But he tries to tear up the **** Tsu dog and some other dog. Tonight walking, he wasn't fond of a girl Pug dog trying to play, and tried to bite her. The joy of dog ownership.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
CKC is the Canadian version of the AKC. That said, anyone can get papers for their puppies, you can buy them off the internet. If you're looking for a specific breed breeder, contact their club to get a list of reputable breeders in your area. So if you're looking for say a Pug, contact the Pug Club of America, they'll point you in the right direction. Don't go by the certification, make sure your breeder does extensive health testing, has few litters, waiting lists for future litters, is actively showing the dogs and conforms to breed standards.

And, to weed out byb, check out this list.

BYB vs. Reputable breeder

Interesting website Thanks for posting. I knew some about that, but more info helps for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs