Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,326,695 times

Advertisements

Two weeks prior to moving day:
"Dispose of plants and pets that you are not taking with you."

Relocation Checklist (http://www.usarec.army.mil/1stbde/1obn/admin/relocate.html - broken link)

And they wonder why rescues are leery of military families! Pets are not disposable and should not be in the same class as plants!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,169,690 times

Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,929,912 times
That is why I recently told my kids we would not get rodents this year. We're planning a move probably next summer or soon after, and while we can take our dog and cat with us (and deal with all of the paperwork if we go overseas), its a little hard to "dispose" of a rodent. Can't set it free, might not be able even to pay someone to take it from us.

I'm surprised they did not list stuff about pets further up the list. Getting the correct microchip and vaccinations and health certificate at the correct time in the correct order is really important. It could be a deal breaker for taking your pet with you if you don't do it exactly right.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM

452 posts, read 1,728,781 times
That's just not a good word to use in conjunction with "pets"!!
There are organizations that take in military pets; we have Guardian Angels for Soliders' Pets here in Hot Springs. It looks like the word hasn't spread to the US govahment!! Idiotic

Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM

426 posts, read 1,575,520 times
That doesn't surprise me, given how until recently all retired military working dogs were euthanized. If the government can't be bothered about soldier dogs that have given years of their lives, saved thousands of human lives, and gone through extensive training, how can one expect them to care about pets?

Just sad.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,144,740 times
I did not read the article.

My H was active duty for 9 years, and it was a giant PIA to keep our dogs (which we did). They do NOT make it easy, or even a consideration.

They DO actively discourage people from moving with their pets.

We had a street rescue dog (and our 2 pets) that we were re-habilitating when we came up for base housing. We could not bring her with us. As the time approached, and we were no closer to finding her a family, my H approached his Master Chief for advise on what to do. "Dump it".

When you are a military family, you uproot your kids every few years. Every few years they lose their friends, homes, schools, ect, and their pets??

I highly recommend to any military family to foster pets.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 AM

444 posts, read 1,620,292 times
Come on. They can't even treat vets properly. They use you up and throw you away. Vets/Pets, no diff to them.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,609,029 times
That SUCKS. Having said that, I have an aunt & uncle who were both in the military for many years, and their beloved dog Pippin was with them every step of the way. The LOVED that dog until the day he died...and still have not been able to wrap their minds aroung getting another dog because he was so special to them...(he was quite a character and looked eactly like Spuds Mackenzie, would insist on sitting in the front seat of the car no matter what, and if you tried to sit there he would simply sit ON you...lol!) I wonder if this is a new thing, as they are now both retired from the military for quite some time...I think they would have ranted and raved had any of their superiors suggested dumping Pippin like that!

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,546,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
Come on. They can't even treat vets properly. They use you up and throw you away. Vets/Pets, no diff to them.
Actually, I have heard this echoed by military and recently medical d/c military folks. So sad. I'm surprised no one has forced the issue for a rewording change...but then again it's the government and I suppose if we start now it will get (+) changed in about 5 years.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,234,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Two weeks prior to moving day:
"Dispose of plants and pets that you are not taking with you."

Relocation Checklist (http://www.usarec.army.mil/1stbde/1obn/admin/relocate.html - broken link)

And they wonder why rescues are leery of military families! Pets are not disposable and should not be in the same class as plants!!
That is very distressing. I can't believe they say that. I hope that the military folk do not follow these guidelines? Yikes.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs