Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

22 posts, read 111,868 times

Advertisements

My vet had prescribed tramadol to my Rhodie and he has been on it for a good 2 months. He has exhibited some of the adverse side effects that can be found on the "Net". At one point my vet recommend me to skip a does because he had gotten really weak. Anybody else that would like to share their experiences using this medication might help me deal with Codys pain management. He had been diagnosed with cancer in his elbow and I elected not to put him through surgery at his age, he turned 13 last month and he is a big Ridgeback...

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
I never used it, but several of my friends have. Their dogs did not handle it well either. The major complaints were that their dogs couldn't hold food down, and would vomit almost every meal. Also, they would go days without pooping. All of them used this drug for pain management after surgery and vets advised them to not use it long-term. I'm sure the side effects of long-term use are far more severe.

Sorry to hear about Cody's cancer. He's very lucky to have you as his human!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I never used it, but several of my friends have. Their dogs did not handle it well either. The major complaints were that their dogs couldn't hold food down, and would vomit almost every meal. Also, they would go days without pooping. All of them used this drug for pain management after surgery and vets advised them to not use it long-term. I'm sure the side effects of long-term use are far more severe.

Sorry to hear about Cody's cancer. He's very lucky to have you as his human!
Thank you for your reply and kind words...

Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting.illini View Post
My vet had prescribed tramadol to my Rhodie and he has been on it for a good 2 months. He has exhibited some of the adverse side effects that can be found on the "Net". At one point my vet recommend me to skip a does because he had gotten really weak. Anybody else that would like to share their experiences using this medication might help me deal with Codys pain management. He had been diagnosed with cancer in his elbow and I elected not to put him through surgery at his age, he turned 13 last month and he is a big Ridgeback...

Thanks in advance!
I'm also sorry to hear about Cody's cancer. We use Tramadol for pain management with our black Lab, Gator for severe arthritis. Gator can't use Rimadyl or any other NSAID due to a daily maintenance dose of Prednisone. We also used Tramadol at the end of our Choco Lab's days with excellent results for pain management.

I have only good things to say about Tramadol. We haven't experienced any side effects except for a bit of sleepiness after dosing. You may want to also ask your vet about adding Amantadine to Cody's pain management regimen. When added during Bandits final months, it did a lot to ease his pain. If you look it up, be sure to add the words "pain management" to the search. If not, you will get only results for its human use for Parkinson Disease.

Again - I'm so sorry about Cody. I know you will cherish this time you have with him.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,174 times
I'm sorry to hear about Cody's diagnosis....

We used Tramadol for our 10 year old Rottweiler when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in February. He took Tramadol and Piroxicam. Thankfully he tolerated both really well. No side effects at all. He took a pretty high dose per day for the final 7 weeks he was with us....and we were grateful it worked so well for him.

Good thoughts to you and your family and Cody. I hope you find a pain med that Cody can tolerate, that helps manage his pain effectively too.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
fighting -- so sorry to hear about cody's diagnosis!

i tried my 14-year old shih tzu, barnaby, on tramadol last year. only once, though, because he did not tolerate it at all. it made him a little nuts. he took it, if i remember correctly, because he had a tumble down the stairs. his reaction was to immediately start pacing and panting with a glazed look in his eyes. he coudln't get comfortable, and he wouldn't stop. the medication was worse than the discomfort from his fall. it was really, really weird.

however, he does successfully take neurontin to manage the pain of arthritis and invertebral disc disease, and i've just recently had to increase the doseage to help deal with a herniated disc. he tolerates this medication very, very well (although i am finding the increased doseage will make him gassy until he adjusts completely). perhaps something like this would help cody?

best of luck to you and your dear puppy!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post

I have only good things to say about Tramadol.
As do I - we used it post-op without issue or side-effect and it was incredibly effective for our dog's pain relief.

However, if your dog isn't tolerating it, your dog isn't tolerating it and that's all that matters.

Has your vet suggested any type of alternative? I had occasion to use Torbutrol recently (same type of drug, but not as long lasting apparently). While the animal (a cat) that took it had a totally opposite reaction to what she should have had - instead of having anything like a sedative effect, she pinged off the walls all night - it did was it was supposed to do for pain.

I am sorry for your troubles. I hope you find a solution.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I'm sorry to hear that your baby is not doing well with the Tramadol since it brought great relief to my Nikki dog for 18 months. I was also giving him Duramaxx which is for osteoarthiritis pain but ask your vet about it. Is there a vet in your area who does acupuncture? It's a bit expensive but I could see real change in Nikki after each treatment, about once a month.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM

Cody was put down this morning. My Vet felt the time had come. The cancer had begun its dirty deeds and began metastasizing. She felt the spleen and could feel knots in the organ and she showed my a bulge on the underside of his belly begin to appear. It will be a long day for me!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
I am so very sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs