Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times

Advertisements

How would one go about reporting abandonded dogs?

I'm not even sure if they're abandonded. Our neighbor who lives down the corner seems to have disappeared. My kids mentioned tonight it was funny they weren't out TOT for halloween. Then they said their car hasn't been there for awhile, perhaps 2 weeks? And their kids aren't in school.

Well, they apparently left two dogs behind. I can hear them barking at night, we live kitty corner from them, but I assumed they were ok. Now my kids tell me they looked through the fence and the dogs are there, but their food and water bowls are empty and overturned.

Perhaps they went away and simply left their dogs? Who should I report it to? Is that anonymous? I'd hate to have the neighbors p'od at me for a simple misunderstanding, perhaps they did leave but have a pet sitter? Well, then, the pet sitter isn't doing a very good job if their food and water is empty. Who do you call, humane society, police? I can't just ignore the situation if those poor animals are indeed abandonded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Yes, for God's sake help those poor dogs! Call Animal Control right away.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
I would call the police, if it isn't something they handle they can direct you to someone who can help. Personally I would rather have my neighbors p'od at me than think that there are two dogs starving next door. Maybe they did go on vacation and hire a dog sitter, maybe something happened to that person and the dogs haven't been cared for. If the dogs have access to the outside I would go over and toss some food over the fence, water would be great too, but I'm not sure how you could get that to them.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 PM

Animal control won't respond after business hours, unless its an animal bite. I called, just got a recording.

I don't hear them barking now, so I don't know what happened. I would like to shove some food under their fence, but not at midnight on halloween, could get mistaken for a prankster.

First thing tomorrow I will call animal control, they should investigate, if what my kids say is true, they said two dogs, no food, and doog poop all over the yard!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 PM

I think they just left, the house appears abandonded, no car in front, kids not in school, no lights, but the weird thing---the AC still runs! I heard it running and running when I walked by, thought it strange for an AC to run and run when its 60 degrees! apparently the electric is still on, but no lights and an Ac that runs and runs? Unless when they lived there they hooked their AC up to some other power source and didn't bother to disconnect it................ Very strange!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
At the very least, go there and give the poor dogs some food and water until ac can deal with the situation. I couldn't go to bed knowing they are thirsty and starving.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yes, for God's sake help those poor dogs! Call Animal Control right away.
^^^^This is common sense. I cannot believe the OP does not know this.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM

First thing this morning we looked in their yard---the dogs are gone!We thought they might be inside, so rang the bell, no one answered. It appears abandonded, we didn't hear the bell ring, so knocked loudly several times.

No lighs, , no car, grass overgrown, apparently the left and came back for the dogs. Well, I will continue to keep an eye on the place in case they dump the dogs off again, sad to think where they may have dumped the dogs, they may have been better off going to the shelter.

I just became aware of the situation last night, too bad I didn't know sooner. In this tight economy many people abandon their pets, and many more don't take them to shelters. shelters charge stiff fees, and have waiting lists. Also, they tend to be over-zelaous. If an animal appears slightly malnourished, has skin problems, they jump all over the owner and charge him with animal abuse. Sometimes abandonding an animal is the owners only real choice, sad as it is. I hope the dogs are being cared for now, at least someone got them.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
^^^^This is common sense. I cannot believe the OP does not know this.

Like I said in a previous post, I DID call animal control last night, just got a recording, they only respond during normal business hours, except for an animal bite, in which case we were instructed to call police. I called animal control first thing this morning when they opened.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Now thew dogs are back tonight, no sign of the owners. Lights are off, but ac runs constantly. The dogs are outside, so it doesn't help them. They look ok, but we fed them anyways, lowered some cat food and bowls of water on a rake, they were interested, didnt act starved, but happy for the food.
I figure perhaps the owners are out of town and come back every once in awhile to feed and water the dogs. They appear ok, I will keep a watch on them and continue with food and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs