Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 03:13 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I don't see anything recent on it! So the "rainy season" has officially started here (raining right now), and I'm wondering what you all do to exercise your dogs in bad weather. San Francisco doesn't get anything more than a little rain & fog, but I remember this being an issue last year, when we had a particularly rainy winter. I don't mind walking in rain for a while, but my dog is actually the one who hates it - he'll go, but usually looks miserable after a couple of blocks. Any brilliant/innovative ideas?? Rudy doesn't require a whole lot of exercise, but I can only imagine if I had a Border Collie, Aussie, or other high-energy dog! Plus he tends to burn extra energy by harassing (chasing, playing with) the kitties, and I know they don't appreciate that - LOL.

P.S. Rudy is also not a "fetcher," so throwing a ball up and down the hallway doesn't do a whole lot.

P.P.S. This is why I'm considering a second dog, since at least they'd have each other to run/play with... but right now it's just not feasible, financially & home-wise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
My dog can spend a good half hour playing/chasing little wind-up cars! I use the kind that charge instantly - I think the brand is ZipZaps. My son invented this game and the dog is fascinated! I think he is half afraid of the cars because he'll chase but not go in for the kill. Another silly indoor game involves watching him try to catch the light from a laser pointer!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Wonder what he'd do with a toy car? Probably destroy it, LOL - but that would keep him busy for a while! As for the laser pointer, that is no longer allowed due to Rudy's severe addiction. Seriously, if I remind him of its existence, he won't shut up for a month!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Rainy days here normally go something like this:

Get the coffee on-- toss a toy down the hall
start a load of laundry -- toss a toy down the hall

Well you get the picture, I try and get my two playing and entertaining one another so I can get things done

Uh, thanks for sending the rain. We need it but it certainly puts a damper on housework since I'm constantly wiping feet

Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
I don't know if you have one. But my sister is training her Lab on the treadmill. She is young and they live in NYC and she needs to burn off her energy or she's trouble. So for days where the weather is too bad for a long walk (she always gets her short walks for potty) for exercise she goes on the treadmill. She seems to like it.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't know if you have one. But my sister is training her Lab on the treadmill. She is young and they live in NYC and she needs to burn off her energy or she's trouble. So for days where the weather is too bad for a long walk (she always gets her short walks for potty) for exercise she goes on the treadmill. She seems to like it.
I have seen the dog whisperer do this when in therapy for his dogs. Treadmill I like that idea if I had one.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 AM

768 posts, read 2,100,881 times
Do you have stairs? In a pinch I'll chase mine up and down the stairs.

Even if the idea of chasing a ball doesn't entice yours, a good game of "chase" might. One of my boys doesn't chase balls, but he'll play chase--with us switching back and forth who is doing the chasing and who is being chased--for a LONG time, lol. He'll play it indoors, outdoors, it doesn't matter.

(Due to her hip/leg issues, my Aussie isn't allowed to run up and down the stairs for exercise, though. You have to factor in your individual dog's needs.)

Okay, I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I have noticed that my dogs like it when I dance around the house being silly. (I'm a bit of a clown-- shhhh, I try to hide it.) So I have also put on some music and danced around the house with them. Incorporate a little chase into it, get them moving around. It's kind of like aerobics for dogs, lol.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Shadow's favorite indoor activity is laser tag. I used to be able to play laser with my cat, but no more. Shadow will do this for hours on end. Here is the laser we use. It has a very bright light. Critter Bug Laser Cat Toy - Cat Toys at Arcata Pet Supplies

I have to keep it hidden or my OCD prone dog will just stand in front of it and whine.

Sometimes we will go to petsmart when it is raining. Lots of space to walk in there. One rainy day we bought Shadow a raincoat. She will now walk in the rain unless it is coming down hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Rainy day activities??-2007-07-06-1401-05_edited.jpg  

Last edited by Racelady88; 11-13-2007 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
How do you get a rain phobic dog out of the house to at least go potty? I have one beagle (who may actually really be a cat) that won't go out on her own, we have to literally slide her out the door. Once out there she pastes herself up against the house and waits for us to let her back in, never doing her business. I tried over and over again to train her to at least go out potty in the rain by brining her out on lead, and once the other dogs do their business they get praised and let back in...she just stands there crying and not doing anything no matter how long I stay out with her. Luckily it's not like I live in a really rainy area so it's only an issue once in a while...but when we get a few days in a row it's a pain to deal with going in the house. She never goes in the house except for this, even on the rare occaision that we are out all day, no accidents..so it's definitely the rain. Any tips?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
How do you get a rain phobic dog out of the house to at least go potty? I have one beagle (who may actually really be a cat) that won't go out on her own, we have to literally slide her out the door. Once out there she pastes herself up against the house and waits for us to let her back in, never doing her business. I tried over and over again to train her to at least go out potty in the rain by brining her out on lead, and once the other dogs do their business they get praised and let back in...she just stands there crying and not doing anything no matter how long I stay out with her. Luckily it's not like I live in a really rainy area so it's only an issue once in a while...but when we get a few days in a row it's a pain to deal with going in the house. She never goes in the house except for this, even on the rare occaision that we are out all day, no accidents..so it's definitely the rain. Any tips?
My last dog was like that. If it had been raining for more than 18 hours I would get out a golf umbrella & hold it over her & we would go out together & I would get wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs