Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM

924 posts, read 2,236,370 times

Advertisements

Not a dog owner but I used to pet sit and walk pooches for a few years and am a GSD fanatic. To get my dog "fix", my mom suggested that I either volunteer at a shelter, a kennel or visit dog runs closer to home. It would be entertaining, a potential to expand my social network and of course play with the pooches.
But I'm wondering if there's a certain expected etiquette with dog runs. For example I can't just go up to someone's dog if I don't have one myself and pet it...or can I?
Any suggestions on how to break the ice with dog owners? Eventually I hope to befriend one or two of them and offer to take their dogs for a walk now and then. But in the meantime just chatting with them and being around the dogs is enough.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,489,544 times
Great question!

To get your "fix" and to perform a community service, I would suggest volunteering at a shelter. Dogs there are starving for affection and the love you can shower on them will help them psychologically and, consequently, boost their chances for getting adopted sooner rather than later.

If a city-run shelter would be too much of a downer for you, most cities have private no-kill rescue groups who would love to have your help. I did it for a few years a long time ago. It was very rewarding and somewhat addictive! I walked dogs, played with them and just gave them some quality time. Some dogs spent months there but when they were adopted, it was such a high---for staff and volunteers.

Of course, you could also just pop into a dog park and start chatting with people. Most dog owners love to talk about their pets.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Not a dog owner but I used to pet sit and walk pooches for a few years and am a GSD fanatic. To get my dog "fix", my mom suggested that I either volunteer at a shelter, a kennel or visit dog runs closer to home. It would be entertaining, a potential to expand my social network and of course play with the pooches.
But I'm wondering if there's a certain expected etiquette with dog runs. For example I can't just go up to someone's dog if I don't have one myself and pet it...or can I?
Any suggestions on how to break the ice with dog owners? Eventually I hope to befriend one or two of them and offer to take their dogs for a walk now and then. But in the meantime just chatting with them and being around the dogs is enough.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,325,405 times
Volunteer at your local shelter, that's your best bet. I'll be honest, if someone showed up without a dog at the dog park and paid attention to my dog, I'd be very suspicious. Last year, two guys came to the dog park with nothing but a leash looking for an unaltered Bulldog to steal and beelined for my boy so I'm kind of sensitive to things like that. I'm sure other dog owners are just as protective and would find it odd.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,727,685 times
Quote:

I'm more than willing to have dogless people come up to my dog and in fact I love it! I think it is a good idea to ask if you may pet the dog though and see if the owners wish to chat though. I have a GSD and I love love meeting other dog owners and just people that love dogs when I walk my dog

Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,914,090 times
Quote:
To get my dog "fix", my mom suggested that I either volunteer at a shelter, a kennel or visit dog runs closer to home. It would be entertaining, a potential to expand my social network and of course play with the pooches.
So did you follow your mom's advice and make new friends? I'm guessing not if you're asking now.

I wouldn't go up to someone's dog and pet it unless you want to take the risk of having your arm removed.

Unless you're a licensed dog walker I doubt that anyone would entrust their animal to you to take it for a walk now and then.

Go to the local shelter as suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Volunteer at your local shelter, that's your best bet. I'll be honest, if someone showed up without a dog at the dog park and paid attention to my dog, I'd be very suspicious. Last year, two guys came to the dog park with nothing but a leash looking for an unaltered Bulldog to steal and beelined for my boy so I'm kind of sensitive to things like that. I'm sure other dog owners are just as protective and would find it odd.
I agree. The poster has contributed several threads and posts related to befriending people through their animals, going so far as to ask if he should package up dog treats, cat treats, bird treats for their pets. I have several good friends who "treat" my animals with goodies which they give to me and not directly to the furries themselves but no way would I trust a virtual stranger to directly treat them. There are a lot of creepy people around. The OP can get his "animal fix" at a shelter, as you suggested, where he'll have to abide by their rules and prove himself responsible.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,478,946 times
Years ago, before I got my dog, Sam, I used to "borrow" the nieghbor's dogs. I would go over and compliment her on her dogs, and we would chat, then I would play with her dogs...and that was pretty much it.

To be honest with you, I would not take the responsibility of taking someones's dog on a run, away from the owner, because, first of all...I, as a dog owner, would have never trusted anyone with my baby dog. I just would not have ever felt compfortable handing Sam over to a stranger to go for a walk. Another thing, what if the dog did get away from you?

I think the best idea is to volunteer with the shelter, and help those dogs out.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 AM

9,347 posts, read 20,092,636 times
gotta agree with going the shelter route...... while i don't mind in the least someone petting my dogs, and in fact, encourage it when we are out and about, if someone showed up at the dog park withOUT a dog and was attempting to befriend dogs, even I would be suspicious......

there are people who come to the dog park and watch the dogs play from outside the fence, which i totally get, because it IS fun seeing the puppers having fun, i would still be leery of a dogless person coming in and trying to play with other people's dogs.....

Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,629,020 times
I agree that volunteering at a shelter is a fantastic way to get your dog fix and to even meet other dog lovers. I spent a week volunteering at Best friends and it was one of the best times I had as the dogs loved all the attention. I have quite a few friends that volunteer with the rescue group at our shelter and they all love it and some even foster dogs that need some time out of the shelter.

As to going to a dog park without a dog, it would not creep me out but it sound s like others nay be crreped out by that. I do not like strangers giving my dogs things to eat but if they want to pet them or throw a ball I do not mind. We have a woman that comes with no dog almost everyday, she is a regular and the dogs love her and she loves them and knows all their names. She sits on the ground and Dazzle loves to go get in her lap. If you have any friends that work that own dogs maybe they would let you come walk them or play with them while they are gone? But I still think the shelter is the best Idea as you will fill a void that will make you feel good!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
If you have any friends that work that own dogs maybe they would let you come walk them or play with them while they are gone?
This!
A lot of dog owners work full time and being a pet sitter of sorts for them while the owners work can be a good arrangement. The dog gets companionship, exercise and the owner gets a mellow dog at the end of the day.
I drop off my dog at my parents house before I go to work and pick him up on the way back. They liked it so much they ended up getting their own dog!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,000,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
.................... The poster has contributed several threads and posts related to befriending people through their animals, going so far as to ask if he should package up dog treats, cat treats, bird treats for their pets. ................. The OP can get his "animal fix" at a shelter, as you suggested, where he'll have to abide by their rules and prove himself responsible.
Op has some good advice. Thread closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.