U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM

651 posts, read 1,370,928 times

Advertisements

Recently, Hermes, a 5 year old male Labrador Retriever, has started chattering his teeth. He has never shown this behavior before. The first incident occurred about a week ago when I was playing with him. Although the behavior was odd for him, I reasoned that he was just excited. Tonight, I saw the behavior again right before I fed him. I'm still thinking this is just due to excitement but I'm a bit concerned as this is new for him. I've researched this online and found that this could be seizure related which concerns me as he has epilepsy. A bit of health history:

Three years ago he had his first seizure. A few months later he had another seizure and the vet confirmed the diagnosis of epilepsy. He has been on phenobarbital since then and did not have another seizure until two months ago. The vet re-checked his phenobarbital levels and found that they were low. Later, I found a stash of his pills hidden under the couch. Apparently, he figured out how to chew around the pill pocket where the meds were hidden and spit them out while my back was turned to get his food out of the pantry. He is now watched much more closely at med time. At any rate, his phenobarbital levels were re-checked a month later and found to be back to normal. I also had a complete panel of tests run and all came back normal.

So, would you be worried about this new behavior given his health history? I have an appointment in 3 weeks for some dental work but I'm not sure if I should wait to have this checked out. Regardless, I'll call my vet tomorrow but I just need some reassurance tonight. I'm a worry wart when it comes to my doggies and seem to be constantly running to the vet.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,026,235 times
I had a black lab/great dane mix who's teeth chattered when I was fixing food for the dogs. I'd had him for a while before it started and at first I couldn't figure out what was going on but finally realized that he was simply excited about breakfast or dinner.

I hope that's all it is for your guy too.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,529,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Recently, Hermes, a 5 year old male Labrador Retriever, has started chattering his teeth. He has never shown this behavior before. The first incident occurred about a week ago when I was playing with him. Although the behavior was odd for him, I reasoned that he was just excited. Tonight, I saw the behavior again right before I fed him. I'm still thinking this is just due to excitement but I'm a bit concerned as this is new for him. I've researched this online and found that this could be seizure related which concerns me as he has epilepsy. A bit of health history:

Three years ago he had his first seizure. A few months later he had another seizure and the vet confirmed the diagnosis of epilepsy. He has been on phenobarbital since then and did not have another seizure until two months ago. The vet re-checked his phenobarbital levels and found that they were low. Later, I found a stash of his pills hidden under the couch. Apparently, he figured out how to chew around the pill pocket where the meds were hidden and spit them out while my back was turned to get his food out of the pantry. He is now watched much more closely at med time. At any rate, his phenobarbital levels were re-checked a month later and found to be back to normal. I also had a complete panel of tests run and all came back normal.

So, would you be worried about this new behavior given his health history? I have an appointment in 3 weeks for some dental work but I'm not sure if I should wait to have this checked out. Regardless, I'll call my vet tomorrow but I just need some reassurance tonight. I'm a worry wart when it comes to my doggies and seem to be constantly running to the vet.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. Many, if not most, labs will have intermittent seizures, its just uncommon for the owner to (i) witness them and (ii) identify them as seizures.

Something else that can cause teeth chattering: A female in heat in your neighborhood. Even if he's been neutered that smell can have a powerful effect on him. I can always tell when the yellow lab down the street is in estrus because my dog starts chattering his teeth and will occasionally get a bit frothy on the chin. And I will find spots he has dug up trying to get out of the backyard.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM

3,647 posts, read 11,871,585 times
All of our retrievers (Chessies & Labs) will teeth chatter when they are excited. Especially if they are waiting for me to throw a ball, give them a treat or be released them from a sit so they can go into the pool. Unless you see other symptoms, I wouldn't worry.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks all! I feel better. I just wish that my big buddies could talk and tell me if anything is wrong! That would save a lot of vet trips; but, my two are weird and love going to the vet.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 27,266,597 times
We had a Lab that did it all the time. It was his was of showing excitement, often doing it if I was getting his leash for a walk.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We had a Lab that did it all the time. It was his was of showing excitement, often doing it if I was getting his leash for a walk.
I wonder if he'll start chattering before he goes to the vet as he loves it so much! I swear, sometimes I think they do things just to go. Last week, I had to make a trip to the emergency vet as I found remnants of tea light candles that one or both of the dogs had enjoyed as a tasty snack. The candles were 100% beeswax with no fragrances but I was worried as the container is made of soft aluminum. So, off to the vet I went for x-rays with two very happy doggies in the back seat.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 39,770 times
My lab just started having a very similar occurrence. She had recently started limping and it appears that she has a toenail that is off the nail bed. She's been bleeding a bit since yesterday and her teeth are starting to chatter when cleaning her wound.
The bleeding has stopped and we have yet to take her to the vet since this just occurred yesterday, but should I be concerned about seizures also??
I notice that she does have very vivid dreams when she sleeps as she tends to whimper and twitch her paws, which come to think of it, looks a bit like a seizure.
Please let me know your thoughts if you have any insight regarding what I had mentioned. Could there be a correlation?
Thank you.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,529,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcor71 View Post
My lab just started having a very similar occurrence. She had recently started limping and it appears that she has a toenail that is off the nail bed. She's been bleeding a bit since yesterday and her teeth are starting to chatter when cleaning her wound.
The bleeding has stopped and we have yet to take her to the vet since this just occurred yesterday, but should I be concerned about seizures also??
I notice that she does have very vivid dreams when she sleeps as she tends to whimper and twitch her paws, which come to think of it, looks a bit like a seizure.
Please let me know your thoughts if you have any insight regarding what I had mentioned. Could there be a correlation?
Thank you.
I doubt it. I think that toenail hurts when she's tending to it and she's chattering her teeth as a stress response.

Vivid dreams about chasing something replete with lots of twitching, yipping and "air running" are totally standard issue.

I seriously doubt you have any reason for concern.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 21,061 times
This behavior may be due to excitement since you mention that it happened during play and when you were preparing his meals. Always best to see the vet as it can also sometimes be caused by dental problems, but then you would see it happen more and not only in certain contexts. Here's some interesting facts about this behavior.
The Mystery Behind Teeth Chattering in Dogs - Dog Discoveries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs