Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:07 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My husband and I were looking for a new dog from a rescue outfit. We didn't see any dogs that fit what we were looking for here in Salt Lake City where we live, but we did see a picture of a darling Keeshond-mix in the Los Angeles area. We contacted the woman who was fostering him and filled out an application to adopt him. She approved it immediately, but refused to fly him out to Salt Lake (she said it would be "too traumatic" for him). So, we left early Friday morning and made the 10 1/2 hour drive to L.A., where we spent the night.

She was supposed to meet us the next morning at 10:00, but called us at about 9:50 to let us know she was running a bit late. She finally showed up at about 11:15. The dog was absolutely adorable. It was love at first sight. Then she said, "Oh, there is one little thing... He was attacked by a Doberman last night." She went into this whole song and dance about how it really was her girlfriend's fault, not hers, because she told her not to let them get together. She didn't really trust the Doberman since he belonged to some homeless guy who was staying with them. She then showed us the wound, which was kind of on his chest by his shoulder. It looked horrible. She said, "It doesn't look too bad. I cleaned it up and there's no infection. He should be fine." My husband said, "No way. This dog needs a vet and he needs one today." I said to her, "I don't suppose you'd be willing to split the cost with us, would you?" She answered, "I'm sorry. My fostering budget just wouldn't allow it. If it weren't a Saturday, we could take him to my vet and I'm sure he'd stitch him up for free."

Well, it was a Saturday, so her "does-stitches-for-free vet" wasn't available. We payed her the $300 we'd agreed on, signed her papers, and she gave us the dog's veterinary records, showing that he was current on all his shots. If it wasn't "in her budget" to care for him, I didn't know what else to do.

To make a long story short, we found a 24-hour VCN vet. It was about 12:30 PM by then. The vet was great. He examined the dog and said it would require surgery because there was a pocket inside the flesh that was filling up with fluid. He also found a bad tick infestation on him and removed more than ten ticks. We didn't end up leaving LA until just before midnight. The vet bill was $971.

When I got home, I looked up the name of the rescue outfit. Apparently, she was the founder of it and is the owner. So I obviously can't file a complaint with her about her. I could seriously use some suggestions as to what I should do at this point.

On a positive note... The dog is a doll and is he ever a happy, loving little guy!

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-29-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
It's lucky you found him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 AM

723 posts, read 571,317 times
I'm sorry this happened to you, truly I am. But in my experience, owning dogs and caring for them properly is always an unpredictable and expensive proposition.

I too would have been very concerned about the injury, as well as pissed about the unexpected bill, but consider that this lucky dog is better off with you in his life now. He's rid of his tick infestation, and his wound will heal quicker than you can imagine.

Hopefully, you will have many healthy and happy years together! Enjoy each other's company and move on. :-)

Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 AM

723 posts, read 571,317 times
I will also say that if this rescue woman did one thing right, it was refusing to put that dog on an airplane. In retrospect, she probably made the decision based on cost, but it was still the right thing to do.

My ex was a commercial airline pilot, and he often said that, no matter what the airlines tell you, it is never a good idea to crate and ship a dog like cargo. A responsible breeder won't ever do it, and neither should any rescue organization. The smells and sounds alone are terrifying to a dog, and too many things can go wrong. They often do.

So glad you made that road trip to pick up your new friend!

Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you, truly I am. But in my experience, owning dogs and caring for them properly is always an unpredictable and expensive proposition.

I too would have been very concerned about the injury, as well as pissed about the unexpected bill, but consider that this lucky dog is better off with you in his life now. He's rid of his tick infestation, and his wound will heal quicker than you can imagine.
I realize that, as I've had numerous dogs and cats over the years, and willingly paid tons of vet bills.

Quote:
Hopefully, you will have many healthy and happy years together! Enjoy each other's company and move on. :-)
That's probably good advice. Right now I'm just feeling like I want to get back at this woman, though. I wonder if I should contact the California (or just LA, if there is such a thing) Humane Society and report her. I'm pretty sure rescuing dogs is her primary source of income, and I am trying not to have these vindictive feelings, but it's hard.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:39 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Congrats on the new addition. I think you just ran into one of those god-awful amateur rescues. I can't imagine trying to hand a dog off with an open wound. That's crazy.

I think you and the dog got very lucky

Old 08-29-2017, 12:41 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Some rescues are good and some are pretty awful. Some of them are badly underfunded. Some of them aren't much better than animal collectors. Some are actually puppy mills. Some are people who take free pets off of Craigslist and re-sell them.

As far as I know, rescues don't have to be licensed, so there is no one to complain to. Perhaps call animal control in her area and ask if there is one place you can file a compliant?

Ar least you got a nice dog for all of your trouble and expense

Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Did this rescuer have any associations with breed rescues or some sort of rescue network? How did you find out about her? There may be a way to leave a "review" about the dog's condition with a referral group like that. I think you are right to be concerned. OK, injuries happen unexpectedly, but not being able to insure that another dog on her foster situation property isn't out of control speaks to a less informed/less experienced dog handler. And then, blaming everyone else for the situation....she wasn't able to protect one of her dogs from another. The tick infestation is a red flag....she shouldn't have let it get to that point no matter what. You don't have to rant, just explain the condition of the dog you adopted.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Nothing you can do. It happens. An open wound is especially bad though.

I adopted a dog once from a rescue who did rescues out of Animal Control for NYC. When I took her to the vet, it took quite a bit of time and money to clear up some issues she had (ear mites, rotten teeth, infection at the spay area). I definitely spent well over a thousand dollars and I think the vet felt sorry for me and was giving me breaks on some stuff.

I really do believe most rescues are doing their best with limited resources including time and money.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I would just suck it up and never look back. But don't deal with this rescue again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs