U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 30,901,327 times

Advertisements

I had tried two or three different brushes. Artie hated them all. Of course he did. He's finicky about EVERYTHING.

A couple of years ago, I got a Furminator. Problem solved. He's always LOVED getting brushed with the Furminator. He lays on his belly, legs all splayed, and lets me do my thing... and enjoys it.

Today, we were lying down on the guest room bed and I figured I'd take the opportunity to give him a good brushing. I went to get the Furminator while Artie was lying on his side -- not on his belly -- and he didn't change positions when he saw the brush.

Anyway, I started brushing his left side and he was enjoying it so much that... he fell asleep! Complete with SNORING!

I had to wake him up to flip him onto his other side so that I could brush some more. And then he fell asleep on THAT side! Crazy kid.

Once I was done, he rolled onto his back, legs all splayed, like he wanted me to brush his belly! I gave him some rubs instead (I don't brush his belly -- it's very fine hair there).

Does your dog enjoy getting brushed as much as Artie does? To the point of falling asleep while you're doing it? If that's not total relaxation, I don't know WHAT is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,760,688 times
I've been lucky that all of my dogs enjoyed getting brushed. I use the Zoom Groom on Rita and she loves it, I use the Furminator on Finn which he enjoys also.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM

417 posts, read 1,029,184 times
I use the zoom groom on Sydney.. he hated the first two brushes I got, so eventually I tried the Zoom Groom, and he is the same way Artie is..he'll lie on his side with tongue hanging out..smiling up at me..whenever I finish he jumps up and gives me this look, like "Come on...done already? Just five more minutes". He also loves being wiped down..in between his baths, I bought puppy wipes and every few days I'll wipe him down to keep him smelling fresh and looking good..his coat is so soft now..and as soon as the wipes come out, he's a ball of wiggles...wagging his tail, then lays down with his legs splayed out waiting for his "sponge bath". He also likes getting his eyes wiped when he gets eye boogers..I guess its their version of a day at the spa?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
I guess its their version of a day at the spa?
EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,313,247 times
OH that Artie does he have the life or what? My big guy just loves to be brushed if it was up to him I would have to spend the entire day brushing him. The pug is getting used to it after 8yrs you would think he would be used to it. Now the westie is a totally differant story she does not like being brushed she will tolerate it on her back for about 2 minutes and that's it, forget about the sides and stomach. I think though that because
westies are so sensitive to any kind of discomfort or pain if i get the rush or comb tangled it hurts and she jumps up as if to say "that's it sister you've had your fun I'm outta here.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
OH that Artie does he have the life or what? My big guy just loves to be brushed if it was up to him I would have to spend the entire day brushing him. The pug is getting used to it after 8yrs you would think he would be used to it. Now the westie is a totally differant story she does not like being brushed she will tolerate it on her back for about 2 minutes and that's it, forget about the sides and stomach. I think though that because
westies are so sensitive to any kind of discomfort or pain if i get the rush or comb tangled it hurts and she jumps up as if to say "that's it sister you've had your fun I'm outta here.
Awww, the poor Westie-kins! Have you tried the Furminator? It's made a world of difference for Artie -- it went from HATE to LOOOOOOVE.

Yeah, Artie has it pretty darn good. It helps that I'm a big sap.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,313,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Awww, the poor Westie-kins! Have you tried the Furminator? It's made a world of difference for Artie -- it went from HATE to LOOOOOOVE.

Yeah, Artie has it pretty darn good. It helps that I'm a big sap.
No I haven't I will have to look into it, sounds like it might work for the Diva. Aren't we all big saps though it's their world we just live in it

Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,374,561 times
Buster hates it Bella loves it. Simple as that. Doesn't matter what brush I buy Buster hates it all the time. That's why I used to take him to the groomers so often. Haven't taken him in a while, but hopefully once winter is over he'll start going again.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,023,823 times
i use a curry combon on bailey and she likes it when she is blowing her winter coat.... getting rid of ALL THAT FUR has got to feel good .... or when i am brushing burrs out..... but she's never fallen asleep..... and does NOT like having her tail brushed.....

i use a zoom gromm on dave, but he doesn't care for being brushed ONE LITTLE BIT..... thank goodness he's got his momma's lab coat that repels almost EVERYTHING.....

Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM

8,189 posts, read 30,127,657 times
Shadow HATES being brushed. The brush is scary. One day she noticed that my horse was loving being brushed. Sibling rivalry is a powerful tool. I can brush her, but it has to be with Google Image Result for http://img.smartpak.com/product/curry_soft_rubber_blk.jpg and it has to be the one from the barn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs