Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

430 posts, read 1,700,215 times

Advertisements

We adopted a sweeeet older (10) Beagle from the Humane Society this summer. He was relinquished by his owners because they "didn't have enough time for him" so we have a little info on him from the questionnaire paperwork the previous owner provided. They didn't mention he is nearly deaf. Either they didn't know (they said they always left him outside ), or thought it would affect his chances of being adopted.

He can hear a couple of loud sounds (me clapping at him to stop standing at the kitchen counter ) and the microwave beeping (again, he has priorities!)

He doesn't bark, which is kind of nice since Beagles are notorious barkers. I know there isn't a problem with his vocal cords, as he sometimes barks while dreaming, and also yelped when our Chihuahua told him to get the heck away from her food.

I've been told he's probably been deaf since birth and that's why he doesn't bark. What do you think? I also wonder if he hasn't lived with other dogs before (for instance, he pees like a girl and I've read that happens when a young male dog doesn't have another male dog to learn from) and he doesn't understand barking. He has figured out that the dogs run excitedly to the door or front window when someone is approaching and now joins them, but he doesn't take part in the maniacal barking of the other dogs.

Did I mention he is very sweet and we love him to pieces?! He seems to be enjoying his new life as an indoor dog and all the comfy dog beds around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,932,958 times
if he doesnt bark much at all its very likely hes always been hard of hearing/deaf, my experience has been that they never learn to bark if they cant hear.

i used ot do deaf dane rescue and found all of those that had been born deaf never realy learnt to bark. and the very rare occasion they did try to bark they always suprised themselves...like they had no clue what the feeling was. lol.

as for peeing without lifting leg, its very common in males who were neutered before they got into the habit, (generally before 8 months).

im glad you adopted this older boy and have given him the chance to have the best rest of his life ever!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,631,907 times
Phoenix has been deaf since birth and she can bark.She is not a big barker and usually when she barks I have no idea of what she is barking at but she can bark. I know several aussies also deaf since birth that can bark as can the deaf white pitbull that comes to the park. I fostered 5 homozygous aussie pups all deaf and belive me they could make quite a racket and barked and cried when they could not see me or another person as unlike a hearing dog they could not hear people moviing around so if they did not see you you must be gone and they barked to get you back. They do not bark as much as they do not have the sounds that set them off like other dogs but they do bark.

Years ago when I met Phoenix someone said Oh deaf dogs do not bark as they can not hear the mother dog to learn well I think barking is an instinct not something they have to be taught. As I said I think they are just quiter because they do not have the stimulation of sound. My hearing dogs hear something outside and bark, Phoenix does not hear it so does not bark.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 13,245 times
To dashdog
havn't been on reading in awhile ,your kindness and knowledge is outstanding,everyone has gave me my strength going thru this tuff time. Also i am praying for you too,during your tuff times. To all thanks from: Poms love

Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,231,981 times
Whisper (Great Dane) was a rescue that we got when she was 18 months and has apparently been deaf her whole life. Our vet immediately asked if she was deaf when he first saw her (eye-color and lack of pigment). She has never had an issue with barking and while I recall that her bark once seemed a little weird, I have either gotten use to it or it has changed over the years. Her bark is really LOUD and she especially lets loose when we let her outside as if to announce to any Boogey Men out in the yard that she's coming.

BTW, we also have a beagle and he too squats to pee and is pretty quiet and not much of a barker but when encouraged I believe he takes great pleasure in hearing his "baying".

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

430 posts, read 1,700,215 times
Whisper is a beautiful dog, what a pose! I'd love to see a photo of your Beagle too. I would post photos of my little darlings if I could figure out how. We got our Beagle a red and white snowflake fleece dog "hoodie", he thinks we're nuts. He prefers resting his head on it rather than wearing it, and that's okay!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,097,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Whisper (Great Dane) was a rescue that we got when she was 18 months and has apparently been deaf her whole life. Our vet immediately asked if she was deaf when he first saw her (eye-color and lack of pigment). She has never had an issue with barking and while I recall that her bark once seemed a little weird, I have either gotten use to it or it has changed over the years. Her bark is really LOUD and she especially lets loose when we let her outside as if to announce to any Boogey Men out in the yard that she's coming.

BTW, we also have a beagle and he too squats to pee and is pretty quiet and not much of a barker but when encouraged I believe he takes great pleasure in hearing his "baying".

what a GORGEOUS girl.....

and fwiw .... dave's shelter neutered him when he was 8 WEEKS old .... .... a little young, imo, but oh well, i guess they wanted him to be ready to go for adoption.... in any case, he just turned 2 and still squats to pee.... has never lifted his leg or marked ANYTHING..... the only time he pees is when he has a full bladder....

Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,231,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
Whisper is a beautiful dog, what a pose! I'd love to see a photo of your Beagle too. I would post photos of my little darlings if I could figure out how. We got our Beagle a red and white snowflake fleece dog "hoodie", he thinks we're nuts. He prefers resting his head on it rather than wearing it, and that's okay!
This is Otis just after we got him home from the Humane Society...

Later that day when he realized he wasn't going back into his kennel at the HS anymore...

I know of two ways you can post a picture.

You can enroll in a photo sharing site (I use Webshots) in which uou can upload your photos into your "account" and then open them there which will allow you to copy an address that you can paste directly into a reply field here on CD.

Or, when you open a reply dialog box you will see asection below that which says "Additional Options" click that.
Click Manage Attachments, where you will see a "browse" button (your computer's files).
From there, navigate to your image, double click and upload.
Open your image and copy/paste to your poste.

It's easier than it sounds and someone else may be able to explain it better than I can. You could also do a search in the photography (or admin) forum for posting a picture.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,382,837 times
I have a beagle. He's not much of a barker. He barks, everyday, but I wouldnt classify it as "notorious" type barking.

One thing I have noticed about beagles is that they are very good learners about behavior that doesn't involve food or smells. (Food and smells override all training for beagles!)

If your beagle was ever punished for barking, I would think that would be a better explanation for his not barking---especially since he has barked to protect his food and does bark in his sleep.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,382,837 times
How males pee has nothing to do with having a male role model or living with other dogs.

Most litters are born without having a father figure. (Mom gets knocked up and dad is long gone by the time the litter is born.)

And most dogs don't live with other dogs. Many households are one dog households.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs