Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,266 times

Advertisements

I bought some "iced" cut-out cookies that were so beautiful my husband almost ate one. I yelled "noooo" just as he touched the plate

Now I want to make homemade cookies. One of my dogs only has six teeth so I would like something softer, although I can always break it up or make it soggy if necessary. Anyone have a good recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
We make these all the time and it's always a hit. My dogs have no issues with milk, so that part of it is not a problem. I use organic milk, flour and pb, so they are basically organic cookies. They are soft, but if you want them harder then put them into an airtight container.

Birthday Bones Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,566 times
Donut with a big bones . say: hey,boy,your food!!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
This is what my dogs munch on.

Oatmeal Dog Cookies yield 100 or so little dog bones

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup black strap molasses

1 tsp cinnamon, they like ginger too

2 mashed bananas (if you have them, no complaints from the fur kids without them)

2 cups whole oats (not instant)

1/2 cup ground flax seed (I use Bob's Mill)

2 eggs

1-2 cups whole wheat flour

Water as needed, you could use milk also

1-Put the honey and molasses in a large microwave safe mixing bowl and heat them for 30-45 seconds until warm.

2-Add mashed bananas, oats, flax, cinnamon, mix until combined

3-Add eggs, mix

4-Add flour and water little by little until you have cookie dough consistency and a nice ratio of dough to oats

5-I roll mine out to about 1/4 of an inch and use a 2 inch dog bone cookie cutter, or I just cut them in squares with a pizza cutter. They don't spread, I just put them on a cookie sheet, they don't stick.

6-I cook them at 375 or so for 20 - 30 minutes to get them crispy, if you have a dog that would like them softer cook them for less time. I put some in the cookie jar, and they are good for 2-3 weeks if crispy, 1-2 weeks if soft, the rest go in the freezer.

I'm not the type of cook who measures, but this should be pretty close. I tend to make a mess whenever I use the Kitchen aide, so I mix by hand. For dogs with wheat allergies, you could use rice flour or any other substitution that you like. Applesauce, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Stock, whatever I have around the house is fair game, as long as it's dog healthy they get it.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 AM

106 posts, read 440,494 times
Dogmama50, thanks for the recipe-sounds like I'll be busy today...

Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
ill have to get out some of my recipeis...
as a side note dog cookies are perfectly safe (and some very yummy) for human consumption.
my sister (whos 18) steals the carob chip and bannana cookies i make for my dogs!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
You're welcome dogmomof11, hope you pup enjoys them.

Foxywench, Carob and banana sound good, my dogs would love them. These dog cookies evolved from the granola that I make for me and my dogs beg for. I have had people eat them too, personally I can find better things to waste calories on. I did make carob truffles for friend's pups one Christmas and one friend had to be forced to share with her dog.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks for all the good recipes. I'm going to bake dog cookies tomorrow night. The tough part will be choosing just one recipe.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
ill have to get out some of my recipeis...
as a side note dog cookies are perfectly safe (and some very yummy) for human consumption.
my sister (whos 18) steals the carob chip and bannana cookies i make for my dogs!
How funny that your sister eats the cookies. Carob is "nature's chocolate."

I *may* have taken a teensy bite of one of the dog cookies I bought. Everyone working at the bakery had eaten them. It wasn't bad, but I didn't want to eat the whole cookie.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I *may* have taken a teensy bite of one of the dog cookies I bought. Everyone working at the bakery had eaten them. It wasn't bad, but I didn't want to eat the whole cookie.
My husband eats the ones I posted! PC gets very confused when papa reaches into his cookie jar and eats the cookie himself! It's all ingredients I would use in human cookies, so I don't see an issue with it. I don't like them because I need 3 lbs. of sugar to enjoy cookies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs