U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM

20,298 posts, read 21,259,453 times

Advertisements

Well I thought that Labs were hyper. That is until I saw this GSHP yesterday. My god that dog had a stash of energy. It never stopped running around for over an hour. Jumping onto the deck running around it then jumping off. I was laughing at her antics but can't help but wonder if all GSHP's are like this. LOL
My brother is getting one. He has never owned a dog before but knows what good training can produce. I am thinking maybe he bit off more than he can chew for a first dog. If so this means that I will most likely end up with a pure breed pointer. LOL
Either way anyone know anything about the breed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,103,694 times
the ones i have seen at the dog parks can JUMP like they have springs instead of bones in their legs......

and yes..... VERY high energy......

Old 12-26-2010, 05:44 PM

6,307 posts, read 8,500,758 times
Kizzy is part (majority?) pointer. Yes, he's high energy, but I don't think that that alone should dissuade someone from getting one as their first dog. If they are willing to give the dog the exercise and stimulation that they need, I think that it would make quite a nice first dog. And, if the general temperament of the GHSP is anything like Kizzy, they don't have a mean bone in their body.

Kizzy is crated when I'm at work during the week, and gets the majority of his exercise on the weekends, and doesn't seem any the worse for wear.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,974,197 times
GSHP's are natrually VERY high energy dogs, (and can be prone to seperation anxiety like many gun breeds)

they are incredibly inteligent...and typically incredibly sweet, but they are bred and built to work (and most being there not yet that popular in the general pet community, come closely from working lines if not direct from working gun dog lines)

he will need to excersize and socilize like crazy...
if hes prepare for lots of daily excersize an plenty of puppy classes and obeience...and more excersize...
hell do just fine with a GSHP.

oh and yes they are related to tiggers...in that they are made of rubber and springs. they bounce...and run...an bounce...ALOT

Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,047,996 times
I have one that was a rescue - I think he failed gun-dog school. He is VERY skittish and very hyper all the time. He kind of dances on his hind legs when he gets excited. I saw the female who won the Westminster Kennel Club Show after winning Best in Show and she danced just like mine does, as soon as she was "released" by her owner.

Mine is very sweet, very eager to please, very smart, and runs like the wind. He and my pittie wretle all the time to burn off energy.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 AM

288 posts, read 667,402 times
I love GSP's, lovely dogs, but as previous posters have said, they are extremely intelligent and very high energy. Remember they are a working breed.

Funny enough my brother bought his first dog (well first pet ever!), this year and fell in love with the breed Hungarian Vizsla. Again, another very intelligent, high energy breed.

I did warn him & his wife (who had also never owned a dog), before they got her, that they would need to make sure they had the time to give to her to meet her needs both physically and mentally as exercise isn't all about physical exercise with these types of breeds, it's about stimulating them mentally too.

She is now 10 months, gorgeous dog, but SO full on. We stayed with them recently, and they were definately struggling to control her, she is very boisterous and was too much for our boy Marley who couldn't wait to leave!

I also think they need consistent training, my brother's dog jumps up like crazy which I think is very undesirable especially as she gets bigger as she could easily knock someone over

My advice would be, by all means adopt this breed, but make sure your brother is prepared to give this breed a lot of time. If you don't and they get bored, they will channel their energy into doing something else, i.e. chewing, which is what my brother and his wife have discovered!

I asked my brother's wife, if you had known just how much energy this breed had and how much of your time you needed to give to her would you have still chosen this breed, she honestly said that she would have chosen a different lower energy breed.

I did suggest to them enrolling her in agility, but they haven't, shame as I think she would have excelled in this.

Anyway, enjoy the pics of her, don't want to put you off, but just make sure your brother knows what he is getting himself in to before he adopts a GSP.

Hope this helps

This is my brother's Vizsla at about 3 months.

Learning leash manners from our beloved, late wolfie, Paddy:

Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,974,197 times
gah, paddy, i <3, i love wolfies! that little visla is stunnign too!

gshp, wimers and vislas are very similar in personality

Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM

20,298 posts, read 21,259,453 times
Great pics...
And thank you all for the replies. As I said I am a lab man but can't help but admire the GSHP. I have a feeling because I live on some acres in the country that I will be getting a cool dog LOL.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,075,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleys Mum View Post
I love GSP's, lovely dogs, but as previous posters have said, they are extremely intelligent and very high energy. Remember they are a working breed.

Funny enough my brother bought his first dog (well first pet ever!), this year and fell in love with the breed Hungarian Vizsla. Again, another very intelligent, high energy breed.

I did warn him & his wife (who had also never owned a dog), before they got her, that they would need to make sure they had the time to give to her to meet her needs both physically and mentally as exercise isn't all about physical exercise with these types of breeds, it's about stimulating them mentally too.

She is now 10 months, gorgeous dog, but SO full on. We stayed with them recently, and they were definately struggling to control her, she is very boisterous and was too much for our boy Marley who couldn't wait to leave!

I also think they need consistent training, my brother's dog jumps up like crazy which I think is very undesirable especially as she gets bigger as she could easily knock someone over

My advice would be, by all means adopt this breed, but make sure your brother is prepared to give this breed a lot of time. If you don't and they get bored, they will channel their energy into doing something else, i.e. chewing, which is what my brother and his wife have discovered!

I asked my brother's wife, if you had known just how much energy this breed had and how much of your time you needed to give to her would you have still chosen this breed, she honestly said that she would have chosen a different lower energy breed.

I did suggest to them enrolling her in agility, but they haven't, shame as I think she would have excelled in this.

Anyway, enjoy the pics of her, don't want to put you off, but just make sure your brother knows what he is getting himself in to before he adopts a GSP.

Hope this helps

This is my brother's Vizsla at about 3 months.

Learning leash manners from our beloved, late wolfie, Paddy:

Those pictures -- especially of the two of them leashed to each other -- just about killed me. I thought my face would break from smiling so big.

100% adorable.

Paddy looks like he was an absolute angel.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM

3,648 posts, read 11,874,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Those pictures -- especially of the two of them leashed to each other -- just about killed me. I thought my face would break from smiling so big.

100% adorable.

Paddy looks like he was an absolute angel.
Could agree more! Paddy certainly looks to be a sweet gentle giant. I've always believed that dogs learn best from other dogs. What a great teacher you have there. And the Vizsla - I love those big floppy hound ears! What a cutie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs