Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times

Advertisements

my yellow lab gets yeast in her ears and the vet is recommending a hypo allergenic food from Science Diet that cost $50 a bag! (z/d I think it is called) ANyone know anything else we can use? That is just nuts. We have toddlers and just can't pay that much. I love her dearly and if we HAVE to pay that, we will but there has got the be something else, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:39 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,921 times
First of all, did your vet do a thyroid test (T-3 and T-4) to rule out a thyroid problem that could be contributing to the yeast problem?

Second, you do need to feed a quality food--not a grocery store brand and not Science Diet--that has human grade ingredients. You want a high protein food with no corn, wheat, soy, gluten or yeast. Canidae, Wellness and EVO are all good.

Yes, these foods are a bit more expensive, but yeast infections are painful, and your dog is probably miserable. If allowed to progress, the infection will cause serious ear damage that may require surgical removal of the ear canal--a very expensive procedure.

For the ear infection itself, try Zymox ear drops. You can get Zymox online from many retailers much cheaper than you can buy it at a vet. It will clear up most yeast problems within two weeks and for stubborn infections you can use it on an ongoing basis to prevent the infection from recurring.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
First of all, did your vet do a thyroid test (T-3 and T-4) to rule out a thyroid problem that could be contributing to the yeast problem?

Second, you do need to feed a quality food--not a grocery store brand and not Science Diet--that has human grade ingredients. You want a high protein food with no corn, wheat, soy, gluten or yeast. Canidae, Wellness and EVO are all good.

Yes, these foods are a bit more expensive, but yeast infections are painful, and your dog is probably miserable. If allowed to progress, the infection will cause serious ear damage that may require surgical removal of the ear canal--a very expensive procedure.

For the ear infection itself, try Zymox ear drops. You can get Zymox online from many retailers much cheaper than you can buy it at a vet. It will clear up most yeast problems within two weeks and for stubborn infections you can use it on an ongoing basis to prevent the infection from recurring.
No...she did not check her thyroid...we have paid $600 to the vet in the last 3 weeks for a check-up and this ear issue. I didn't know what was going on for some months...just that Bella was getting "ear wax" that had a nasty smell. I cleaned it out every other day with QTips, but it wasn't until I took her to the vet and asked about it did I know it was yeast. (I had no idea dogs could get that and I have had dogs all of my life!)

I just bought Natures Recipe. Is this okay? It says it is natural and doesn't have wheat, corn or beef...
As for cleaning...We were given a flush from the vet along with some sort of drops...well, that gave her ear blisters. So we went back to the vet and they changed the flush to Vet Solutions (whatever that is) and they gave me a cream for the blisters and some anti-itch pills.
We love her dearly and just want her to be okay. She doesn't act like the ears hurt or anything...I wouldn't have known there wasn't an issue if I hadn't taken her to the vet and if the smell weren't so bad.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,921 times
Nature's Recipe is better than most. Here's a link to a website that has analyses of most dog foods. Dog Food Reviews - All Products - Powered by ReviewPost

If her ears continue to ooze brown smelly gunk, please do try Zymox. I've had several dogs with intractable ear problems that wouldn't clear up with anything the vets prescribed. Then I found a holistic vet who recommended Zymox. I paid $10 for one bottle and within three weeks the dogs' ears were clear of inflammation. I get mine at VetAmerica: VetAmerica - Product Search - Criteria: Zymox

Good luck with your girl, and keep us posted on her progress.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,238 times
I pray you find another vet, and fast.

Our Sheltie had ear/yeast/skin infections for years and when we wised up regarding dog food ingredients and upgraded last year, wow! No more ear issues, shampoos and ear drops His skin cleared up as well! (Of course we never went back to those "vets" again, either; they pushed that food on our dogs, too.)

I hope you get a refund from that "vet". Show her Internet research and ingredients in that food as well (talk about a conflict of interest for them to be pushing that food on unsuspecting clients and patients they're supposed to be HEALING). That's just wrong to push it on you. These "vets" should actually be liable for all the health issues these bad diets cause.

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-04-2008 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 92,385 times
My own experience with dog health issues and changing my dog's diet has made me a passionate convert to homemade food (real food) for my dog. Much of what Vets are taught about nutrition at Vet school is taught by representatives of the large pet food manufacturing companies.
By feeding better quality food, you will save on veterinary expenses. If you don't want to try homemade, look for a commercial food that uses human grade ingredients, and lists a named meat for the first two ingredients. No corn, wheat or soy products. Grain ingredients should be whole grains. (I think homemade is easier, and generally cheaper).
Best of luck

Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 PM

155 posts, read 941,780 times
My Golden (Rip) had cronic problems with yeast. My vet suggested Purina one for sensitive dogs. It is based on Salom. Purina may not be the best food in the world, but it did help my Chloe. THe Zymox is a good sugestion as is frequent washing with vinager and water. Yogert helps, And you might try Tyleson,(Spelling) it's the active ingrediant in " Angel Eyes" for tear staining in Poodles and the like. It is an antibiotic that is effective on yeast which is what most of the eye staning is from. Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I hope you get a refund from that "vet". Show her Internet research and ingredients in that food as well (talk about a conflict of interest for them to be pushing that food on unsuspecting clients and patients they're supposed to be HEALING). That's just wrong to push it on you. These "vets" should actually be liable for all the health issues these bad diets cause.
Refund from a vet? Vet accepting liability? Hah!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Invest in good food. Fish oils and Primrose oil. Save money on vet fees.

Clean ears regularly.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
I second the motion on the Zymox and the link listed is about the best buy you'll find on the stuff!

I think your vet is trying to rope yet another person into buying his Science Diet crap! JMO
In saying that, any decent food will most likely run to close the cost of the SD. But in the long run, it will mean less vet bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs