Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,296,232 times

Advertisements

I live in Russellville, Arkansas, a wide spot in the road that is growing significantly - and I'm in rescue. Today I was contacted by a shelter out of town about trying to help them with sponsors for a very sick baby APTB with hemolytic anemia. I've already had one dog go through that, I can do this...I did my part financially and told them to send her on when she got better and I would foster her. They already have a wonderful foster, a woman I know - but imagine how shocked I was to find out that a law passed in our city during the brief time I lived in the Caribbean...there are NO MORE anything that looks like at Pittie being allowed!

I am literally sick......this is horrible. It is a rural town with a fair share of idiots.....but there's a whole licensing thing you had to go through before this was enacted, and if your dog is picked up now and isn't in their paperwork from the registration process, you won't be seeing that dog again. Absolutely tragic. I do agree with parts of the initial ruling which insisted on spay/neuter if they were not show dogs, but this is so over the top......and I just bought a new house here, and I know in my heart Rottweilers will be the next to go.

Pit Bull Ownership

The city of Russellville has an ordinance restricting Pitt Bull ownership in the city limits. Only those Pitt Bulls which went through our registering procedures are allowed in the city, but must be confined in accordance with city ordinance #1918. Effective June 18, 2005 , no new Pitt Bulls or Pitt mixed breeds will be allowed in the City of Russellville.

Here's the whole thing - what a supreme case of overkill....

http://animalshelter.russellvillearkansas.org/docs/1918.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM

128 posts, read 272,376 times
what is wrong with these people? this is aweful and sickning... poor puppies

Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,433,025 times
Sorry to hear that SamIAm. It just shows how small minded and ignorant people can be when it comes to dogs. Get yourself a petition together and take it to the City Council. That should make them take not and put the ordinance up again. If that dosent work, round up as many level headed people you can find to go to the City Council and demand the law be changed. They most likely enacted this bill because 10 or so people wanted it, you need to bring alot of people to the City Council to overturn this.

My Council wanted to Spay / Neuter all Pit Bull Types and have no new ones in either. Take all the documentation as to how BSL has failed in other citites, dog attacks / bites havent fallen or may have risen, thats what I did.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,942,917 times
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/punish.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,850,918 times
I hope that people will go to the Major's office or something. That needs to stop. If you need our help to write petitions or something else, just ask.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM

The scary thing is that I was here until shortly before it passed - I have Rottweilers - I would have been all over it, moving or not. Now the law is in place - and what is frightening is that another ban could get slipped in. I think this is how it happens all too often...the city says something, people go up at arms, and after the dust settles - BOOM - they hit ya with it.

I have to be careful what I say and how I word it as well, since I foster (which frequently puts me over the city limit on dogs)....the last thing I want to do is wave a red flag over my house...I'm thinking it through!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 PM

The Mayor has absolutely no power. Go speak to the City Council. The Mayor can only advise, but cannot vote unless its a hung council.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,181,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I live in Russellville, Arkansas, a wide spot in the road that is growing significantly - and I'm in rescue. Today I was contacted by a shelter out of town about trying to help them with sponsors for a very sick baby APTB with hemolytic anemia. I've already had one dog go through that, I can do this...I did my part financially and told them to send her on when she got better and I would foster her. They already have a wonderful foster, a woman I know - but imagine how shocked I was to find out that a law passed in our city during the brief time I lived in the Caribbean...there are NO MORE anything that looks like at Pittie being allowed!

I am literally sick......this is horrible. It is a rural town with a fair share of idiots.....but there's a whole licensing thing you had to go through before this was enacted, and if your dog is picked up now and isn't in their paperwork from the registration process, you won't be seeing that dog again. Absolutely tragic. I do agree with parts of the initial ruling which insisted on spay/neuter if they were not show dogs, but this is so over the top......and I just bought a new house here, and I know in my heart Rottweilers will be the next to go.

Pit Bull Ownership

The city of Russellville has an ordinance restricting Pitt Bull ownership in the city limits. Only those Pitt Bulls which went through our registering procedures are allowed in the city, but must be confined in accordance with city ordinance #1918. Effective June 18, 2005 , no new Pitt Bulls or Pitt mixed breeds will be allowed in the City of Russellville.

Here's the whole thing - what a supreme case of overkill....

http://animalshelter.russellvillearkansas.org/docs/1918.pdf (broken link)
That is horrible! I agree, Rotties will most likely be next and then it will be Dobies, Chows, etc! I just don't understand this crap! It makes no sense! It's not going to help anything, it's just going to hurt so many families and dogs! Next thing you know, they will be banned! This is the first you have heard of this? This crap scares me to death.. who knows what city will be next?!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
That is horrible! I agree, Rotties will most likely be next and then it will be Dobies, Chows, etc! I just don't understand this crap! It makes no sense! It's not going to help anything, it's just going to hurt so many families and dogs! Next thing you know, they will be banned! This is the first you have heard of this? This crap scares me to death.. who knows what city will be next?!
Well, yeah, but I was out of the country....you don't hear anything in the Caribbean, trust me. Of course that wasn't something I ran around asking when I returned. I only caught it when I was told I couldn't foster and went to the Russellville Animal Shelter website - and there it is, bigger than snot...no APBT.....or anything that RESEMBLES one...now how crazy is that? That's a pretty subjective thing there - I may see big black and white dog and you may see the Cujo dog from hell. Can't have them out except on a lead 6 feet long or less - must keep them behind locked fences (I really have no issue with either of those...we don't have a dog park and I generally have issues with dog parks)...but it makes it sound like you need to keep your pit in an iron box suitable for Houdini or something.

I'm so disappointed....I knew some of the larger and smaller towns in Arkansas were considering it, but I didn't know this - and am forever grateful at this point that we didn't just sink our cash into a new house and then get told that Rottweilers weren't allowed. I love my new house - but I will move if this ever gets started, and we all know it's bound to....very, very sad, but more infuriating than anything else.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM

I feel for you, I really do. I know every emotion youre going through. Hold your head up, sometimes common sence does prevail in local politics ....... sometimes. I was discussing the BSL in Denver with a friend (I wasnt in the US I dont think when they did it) and he said it was basically to stop Mexican / American gangbangers having the dog, so everyone got punished. A carpet ban is no solution to any problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs