Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Well its good to know who's butt to kiss You may want to see if you can find someone that has dealings with the Mayor and have your resume slipped under his nose. I'd definately start with the store manager & see where you can go from there. It always helps if they have a face to go with the name and the more the name is brought to him the better!

Thats horrible about your HR friend. In this economy - nothing surprises me anymore
True. I'll have to nose around and see how many people I can find that can chat me up!

This is the same company that came in and told us they wouldn't be firing anyone and all would be fine and then little by little they started saying they'd have to let some people go but wouldn't tell any of us until the day we were terminated. Then we were told sorry, no severance. The old company did step up with a package for us though based on how long you'd been with them. The whole situation was just crummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Well hopefully it means you are suppose to have the Animal control job. I don't see why the HR person couldn't still write you a letter, especially if she knows you.

We are all keeping our fingers,eyes and toes crossed for ya

Old 12-30-2010, 07:31 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times
I hope you get it. No one would do a better job than you. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 PM

So here's an interesting little twist.

Tammy just called. She subscribes to the local corrupt little newspaper. When the whole story about our animal control came out earlier this year they totally supported the county officials. It couldn't have been more obvious. No matter what we did, they refused to post anything that showed they were guilty of what they'd done. Anything we said they twisted and made to seem like a totally different quote. It was horrible. I called the girl that wrote it and she had I had a major blow up. I was ready to sue her but found out that apparently it's nearly impossible to sue a newspaper for lying about. That in itself really ticks me off. Print anything that's true, but to totally twist my words and end your article saying I'm a liar that's trying to cause problems and I owe the community an apology?? Gah!! And then to tell me I can't do anything because the press is protected by the laws for things like that. They can do anything.

Anyway, apparently their top ten stories of the year came out and Tammy said that's in there and it's even worse this time. She said they've said horrible things about me. So that means it's now out right as I'm sending in my application to take over another shelter. That's just wonderful. If they see it, it's going to make me look really bad because they've lied and won't post the letters I've written to them correcting their errors and they won't post the proof of the abuse and killing that's gone on there. They'd rather we look like liar so they can continue to protect the politicians and the local shelter Director. Have a bad feeling this isn't going to go well. I'm really tempted to consult an attorney and see what they say. If their lies keep me from getting this job doesn't it stand to reason they should be held liable for that??

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm really tempted to consult an attorney and see what they say. If their lies keep me from getting this job doesn't it stand to reason they should be held liable for that??
There's a positive and negative with this one. Yes, it does stand to reason, and it does *in theory* jive with the law, that if someone defames you, that you are entitled to be compensated for it. However, proving it is another story.

I do not know about defamation law in your area, but what I do know, generally, is that it's a tough issue. If you don't get this job (which would be a travesty, IMHO), they could make up any reason in the world for why they rejected you. Regardless then, of whether they have the burden of proof on this or not, in practice it does come down to you proving that THIS was why they didn't hire you.

If I were in your position, I would do some research into people who deal with this type of law (i.e. defamation law or "animal rights" law). Even if they're not in your area, they may be able to give you some valuable advice about how to proceed. Heck, you may even find a lawyer in your area who wants to "make their name", and will take your case pro bono. You never know.

What a shame. I certainly wish you the best on this one.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks. I had someone PM me a place to start. Someone had sent us a list of animal rights attorneys a while back. We thought of contacting them but decided to just let the investigation move forward and keep things quiet so they'd not know what's going on. Now.........damn. Just torn. Will see what we find out. Guess I'll be on the phone a lot tomorrow.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 PM

I certainly wish you the best of luck. I'm not a "crazy animal rights" person, by any means, but this, IMO, is just wrong.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Thanks. I'm just so mad I don't know what to do. Isn't the job of the media to report an unbiased report and let the people decide how they feel? When did that stop? And it must have been a while ago because we had the newpaper in Florida pulling this crap all the time. And why is it so impossible to sue them when they ruin your reputation? So people can go into the media career field so they can legally destroy a person's reputation?? It's just wrong. What happen to fairness and justice? It's getting old. I got so sick of the crap after the last round with these inbred backwoods morons that we decided to move to Maine. I know the animals need our help, but we've got our hands tied and can't do a thing. The politicians are corrupt and the public is too stupid to realize it and not vote them back in. Or they they just plain dont give a crap about the animals that are being so unfairly treated there. It's just sickening and I don't know how much more I can take.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 PM

Well, speaking of "the public is too stupid to realize" and still vote someone in... in the county where I work, there was a district court judge who is...to put it diplomatically...a MORON. She kept getting voted in, year after year, until someone who actually *knew* and had a voice, set the voting populace straight. After 16 or so years on the bench, tomorrow is her last day.

I honestly don't know what caused this shift, but I would surmise that it was a small group of people who chose to speak up and let the general voting population KNOW who they were voting for.

I think, when it comes to local elections, that people simply don't educate themselves, or simply do not know, about what they're voting for.

It's a tough fight that you have, for sure. But, you have at least one cheerleader here in the PNW. For whatever that's worth...

Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
and you have 5 more cheerleaders here in st. louis..... 2 canine, 2 feline and 1 human......

all paws and fingers and toes are tightly crossed that they make the RIGHT decision and hire you for this job.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs