U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,345,950 times

Advertisements

what breed of dog was the smartest or most well trained dog you have ever seen.

for me it would be a tie between a a friend of mines Minnie Australian Shepard that despite not really being trained much is crazy smart and a jack Russell I saw at a dog park that literally knew more dog tricks than I knew existed

I've also seen some really smart mutts
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:15 PM

6,307 posts, read 8,510,718 times
At the risk of being labelled biased...

I'll vote for Kizzy. Last week, I poured some chips into a bowl on the coffee table. Even though he really digs chips, he knows (apparently) not to go for the chips in the bowl. But, the ones that had missed the bowl, he figured were fair game. He never touched the ones in the bowl, but tried his hardest to get the ones that had fallen onto the table. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't really be mad at him for knowing what the rules are.

I've honestly never met a dog who knew how to skirt the rules as much as Kizzy does.

And, he's a mutt, for those keeping track.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,038,353 times
My father had a Sheltie who was quite smart. It wasn't just that Rocky was very obedient and knew lots of commands, but he also could identify his toys. My father could say "Frog" (for instance) and Rocky would run and find his frog. There were about 20 toys he could identify in this way. And at the end of the night, when they were ready to turn in, my father could say, "Clean up, Rocky," and Rocky would run around collecting all his toys and dumping them in his toy box.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,992,022 times
the smartest dogs ive ever met were sight hounds...

NOT because they knew 50million tricks, or could dance on command or anything like that...
but instead because they SERIOUSLY think for themselves...
unlike the typically "smart" breeds (which is more based on trainability rather than actual inteligence)
afghans (and other sighthounds) dont just say "ok' instead they look at you, ask "why" then make you make it worth their while to listen :P

in terms fo trainability...a standard poodle x border collie, he looked like a curly coated giant border collie, worked sheep like a demon, incredibly trainable, very high energy, and just all around an amazing dog from an accidental farm litter.

poodles and many hearding breeds are considered the "smartest" dogs in the "dog inteligence tests" because they are incredibly trainable (often with little effort)

Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 PM

3,649 posts, read 11,883,564 times
My preference is showing here but I'll say as a whole based on the breed definately the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I've never met a dumb one and know quite a few that can outsmart a lot of humans

Hmmmmm......I've also heard somewhere that Border Collies are pretty smart too

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM

288 posts, read 667,937 times
smartest dog I ever had the honour of knowing was my late Jack Russel. He was the most amazing fella, so intelligent, he was like a little human trapped in a little dog's body!

This is an interesting link and as I had recalled, the most intelligent breed of dog is the Border Collie, followed by GSD

The Top 10 Smartest Dog Breeds In The World

Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,183,690 times
Dogs were bred to perform certain tasks, imo they are all intelligent.

My parents prefer BC's and won't have any other breed. However Leiba was extremely head strong and defiant. He was the first dog I had to take to dog training school. We did manage our grades but it was flaming hardwork.

If he had been my only experience of the breed I would have disputed the fact that they are the most intelligent dogs.

If you have a good bond with your dog, there isn't anything that can't be achieved.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM

4,401 posts, read 6,504,288 times
My dogs aren't the smartest in the world, but they are the best.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 11,995,436 times
I would have to vote for my late Jazz. Cattle dog X border collie which made her a mutt. She was not just smart but had a very cunning cleverness about her. I have lots of friends with aussies and border collies and most agreed that Jazz was smarter then their dogs even a lady that taught an agility seminar commented on not just how smart she was but how she was clever more like a wolf or coyote. I myself have never met a other dog quite like her.

As for sight hounds yes after I got Dazzle I realized how very smart they are too. I laugh when I am doing training after he does something 3 times and I ask for a 4th he just looks at me with this look that says Hey I did it 3 times you saw me do it, you know I can do it so I am not doing it again

Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,341,558 times
Chinese Tibetan Mastiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs