Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking how a dog I had in the 90's loved his rope toys. He'd spend hours with them and eventually chew them into 2 toys, each with a big knot and a tassle. These knots would last forever. The rope toys I buy today unravel into big messy mops in nothing flat. I try to tie new knots in them but it doesn't last long. OK, in the grand scheme of things this isn't so important but I know my dogs would like some soft toys to chew and they're too big for stuffed toys. Is there a certain place you've found rope toys that last like they did in the good old days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
I recently got one for my dog that when untangled, it turned into a regular bone shaped toy, with 2 knots. It was an organic cotton toy, and not cheap, but I cannot for the life of me remember who makes it. They come in many sizes, some really huge.

But yea, most toys you find at the big box stores are poorly made, not to mention coated with chemicals, which your dog then puts in his mouth!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,274 times
I agree completely! My husky growing up used to have rope toys that lasted forever...we gave Sydney one..and we're done with them unless I find a really good quality one..especially because he swallowed a string or two and let me tell you when it came out..it was NOT pleasant...enough said. MAK- If you think of the maker of these toys, please let me know. I'd love a good quality rope toy because Sydney loves them and I wouldn't mind paying the extra money

Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
My peke has little chainsaw teeth that chew through any dog toys.
He has a few of those rope type toys, or rather, what's left of them.
There are so many cute plush doggie toys but Caesar kills them in minutes.
I have about 5 of what used to be those "Bobo" stuffed toys put away,
All with fatal throat lacerations,
I tried to sew them back up, but he tore them open again in no time.
Being he is 4 years old now I don't think he will change....

Old 01-08-2011, 09:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
A friend made a rope chew for my dog out of 1/2"twisted nylon rope braided together. He dipped the ends in some rubberizing stuff so they would not fray, and strung a tennis ball in the middle. It has lasted much longer than the store bought and he said it was a fraction of the price to make himself too. He makes them for his dogs.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:29 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
The longest lasting rope toy I've bought I got at the dollar store. I got it several years ago and it's still in one piece. The one I bought at Wal-Mart several months ago is already in tatters.

MOgal, I wonder if your friend might have burned the ends of the ropes as opposed to using rubber? I make nylon collars, and I burn the ends to keep them from fraying. When burned, the nylon turns blackish and looks like rubber or tar.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
The longest lasting rope toy I've bought I got at the dollar store. I got it several years ago and it's still in one piece. The one I bought at Wal-Mart several months ago is already in tatters.

MOgal, I wonder if your friend might have burned the ends of the ropes as opposed to using rubber? I make nylon collars, and I burn the ends to keep them from fraying. When burned, the nylon turns blackish and looks like rubber or tar.
Nope this is some kind of red rubberized coating, not burned. I don't see any reason it could not be done burning the ends; though, this does make the toy more coloful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs