Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:06 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You guys are pikers. Meet Chaser. (Yes, she's a border collie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6479QAJuz8
Yep. I showed this video to my border collie Izzy. He told me that Chaser isn't even a real dog. She's a a human genius in a dog suit.

Then he ran off to bark at the imaginary squirrel out back. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 02:19 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
My wee shih tzu loves my grandsons Woody from Toy Story, but he has quite a lot of talking toys, chew toys and balls of all sizes..

Old 06-21-2015, 03:10 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Yep. I showed this video to my border collie Izzy. He told me that Chaser isn't even a real dog. She's a a human genius in a dog suit.

Then he ran off to bark at the imaginary squirrel out back. :P
There is a longer video on 60 Minutes that talks about doggy brains and includes Chaser. One of the scientists mentioned that Chaser may not be a canine Einstein, just that her owner's early and persistent training resulted in her maximizing her potential. Also, her owner mentioned that when he was teaching her the names of the toys, there was a sort of point that she made the leap to the generalized concept that each toy has a unique name and started learning names faster.

60 Minutes Video - Anderson Cooper meets Chaser, a dog who can identify over a thousand toys, and the scientists who are studying the brain of man's best friend - CBS.com

Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,660 times
I have an Aussie and they can be hard on toys. I have about 4 or 5 toys that I keep out all the time, they're tougher, harder to kill toys he can play with any time. Then there's the stash of about 10 different toys that I only let him play with when I'm around. These are usually a little less well made and he'd destroy them in no time if I leave him alone.
He's had one day where he destroyed a Kong crate mat ($50) and a Kong stuffed toy ($15), both were brand new.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Wow. When my family had a dog, the dog would have one or two toys, maybe. One of which would be a tennis ball.

I guess we expected our dogs to interact with us, not with toys.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is a longer video on 60 Minutes that talks about doggy brains and includes Chaser. One of the scientists mentioned that Chaser may not be a canine Einstein, just that her owner's early and persistent training resulted in her maximizing her potential. Also, her owner mentioned that when he was teaching her the names of the toys, there was a sort of point that she made the leap to the generalized concept that each toy has a unique name and started learning names faster.

60 Minutes Video - Anderson Cooper meets Chaser, a dog who can identify over a thousand toys, and the scientists who are studying the brain of man's best friend - CBS.com
I saw that video back when it first aired on tv, and (don't tell my dog) was absolutely amazed by both this dog's ability as well as the owner's training and patience. My dog - Izzy - does know the names of his stuffed toys and will identify and get them for me, BUT he only has about 10 of them, and he does sometimes get them mixed up. (Plus, he gives up way too easily if he can't find one, and woofs at me to go and find it for him.) Of course I do know that his limitations are because of my inconsistency in teaching him the "go get XXX" command, but I don't let him know that. Otherwise he just might figure out that he is, after all, smarter than me.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
one and she uses it as a decoy to keep us from seeing that shes actually chewing and biting on herself

Old 07-04-2015, 09:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,133 times
We've had our 2 new puppies for 2 days, and they already have 6 toys, and one kong on the way from Amazon. I think we're going to need a bigger toy basket soon!

Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
NONE! This is the first dog I've had that has NEVER played with a toy! Cocker spaniel. The only 'object' he found remotely interesting was a little 'hidden treat' brain development toy where he had to move a little door (from a variety of little doors that moved up/down/side to side) to find a treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs