Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
nice save.... .... i'll show this to dave when i get home and he will feel all better.....

malt o meal and green tripe?? what kind of diet is the lovely phoenix ON??

I hope Dave was happy with that as I would not want Dazzle's twin brother upset!

Miss Phoenix is now on a kidney diet and I am trying some of the home made ones as she is fussy about dog food and the KD is dog food and to be honest I do not care for the perscription diets much as they are all chemicals.. where's the nutrition? I am trying to get her to eat the KD as sometimes I just do not have alot of time to cook for her and when I leave her with the dog sitter it would make it easier if she would eat the KD. so I do have some cans of it and try mixing it in with the homemade. Fussy dog. my dad spoiled her too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Doesn't this mean you are not feeding your dog properly?

In our case Dazzle has a great diet and it shows in his glowing silkey coat.

While we humans find poop eating digusting it is actually a rather common thing with dogs and other animals. Mothers will eat the stool of the puppies to keep the den clean. Rabbits have to reeat their pellets ( poop). Alot of undigested material can pass and make the poop very attractive too and it can be a learned habit too. Having been bred by a breeder that treats all the dogs as family so they all live inside and can go outside as they wish and having a about 7 adults and the nine puppies from his litter. I am sure there was plenty of poop in the yard at times to munch on as he has been doing it since I got him at 8 months. ( does not eat his own though) I hate the fact he does it as he could get worms or pick up a disease from it so I discourage it but with him he is so very fast that it is hard and a " leave it" he grabs one last mouth full to munch as he then leaves it and takes off running. Sighthounds tend to not listen quite as well as many breeds.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I hope Dave was happy with that as I would not want Dazzle's twin brother upset!

Miss Phoenix is now on a kidney diet and I am trying some of the home made ones as she is fussy about dog food and the KD is dog food and to be honest I do not care for the perscription diets much as they are all chemicals.. where's the nutrition? I am trying to get her to eat the KD as sometimes I just do not have alot of time to cook for her and when I leave her with the dog sitter it would make it easier if she would eat the KD. so I do have some cans of it and try mixing it in with the homemade. Fussy dog. my dad spoiled her too much.

he feels much better.... he gets his feelings hurt SO easily.....

good luck with phoenix......

Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 AM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times
Quote:
While we humans find poop eating digusting it is actually a rather common thing with dogs and other animals. Mothers will eat the stool of the puppies to keep the den clean. Rabbits have to reeat their pellets ( poop). Alot of undigested material can pass and make the poop very attractive too and it can be a learned habit too. Having been bred by a breeder that treats all the dogs as family so they all live inside and can go outside as they wish and having a about 7 adults and the nine puppies from his litter. I am sure there was plenty of poop in the yard at times to munch on as he has been doing it since I got him at 8 months. ( does not eat his own though) I hate the fact he does it as he could get worms or pick up a disease from it so I discourage it but with him he is so very fast that it is hard and a " leave it" he grabs one last mouth full to munch as he then leaves it and takes off running. Sighthounds tend to not listen quite as well as many breeds.
In Lanie's case, she lived in a kennel for at least a year, and probably much longer. It's likely she got into the habit of cleaning up after herself. We've taken her to two vet practices, have had all kinds of tests done, and it's been determined to be behavioral.

I still have trouble reconciling my image of the beautiful Mr. Dazzle eating poop, but I know exactly what you mean when you mention telling him to "leave it" and seeing him grab another mouthful, because Lanie does the same thing!

Phoenix's special diet sound um, yummy. They're so worth it though

Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,978,156 times
Quote:
In our case Dazzle has a great diet and it shows in his glowing silkey coat.

None of the 6 dogs I've ever owned did that.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
None of the 6 dogs I've ever owned did that.
Count your blessings. It's a foul habit.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,978,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Count your blessings. It's a foul habit.
I could imagine.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 254 times
I am going thru the same thing with bassett and have tried every avenue to get him to stop. Have you found anything that helped ? Mine acts like he is eating the best steak when he gets a pile,

Old 01-19-2021, 04:42 AM

7,394 posts, read 3,550,268 times
I have the same issue, my dog is an eater and will eat anything that could kill her but has a special love of eating any kind of poop. She even has eaten poop on a leash and it is impossible to watch her every second because I have to look where I am walking as well.

Anyway, I tried a basket muzzle and she got really angry at me. She is a docile dog, but when I took it off she was sending me a message about her not wanting to wear it again by jumping on me and trying to nip (gently) at me. I had to apologize to her and give her a treat to make amends.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:03 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
The plastic muzzles made for racing greyhounds are the most comfortable and the best fitting ones. That's genuine sports equipment for a competitive sport, and equipment is the best you can get.

You need to get the stool guard for the muzzle.

However, dogs in muzzles should not be allowed to wander around unsupervised. If you can not step outside and watch the dog, the dog should not be outside alone with a muzzle on, especially if the dog has access to forested area while she is outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs