Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,081 times

Advertisements

I am a fan of horror films. However, my dog is not! I have a cute little cavalier king charles spaniel. Anytime I am watching one of these films, before the scary part occurs, my dog begins barking frantically at the TV (as if to warn me!)

It isn't the sound that is setting him off... Just tonight I was watching Paranormal Activity 2, and my little boy would bark like crazy before the scary parts-- it's as if he had some sort of sixth sense! This movie doesn't have any sound before these parts.

Does your dog do anything like this when you watch a movie?

Also, my dog loves to watch Pets.TV especially when it is about dogs! Does your dog like watching TV with you and what is his/her favorite channel/show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,683 times
One of mine does not like some of the noises coming from the surround sound so she heads upstairs. The other one is too lazy to move off of the couch, she sticks by us downstairs. Lazy Annie seems to be more interested in animal sounds on TV than the other one, but does not bark - she just turns her head side to side and looks at me to explain what is going on. I try to, but I know all she hears is blah-blah-blah-blah. Seems to satisfy her though and she goes back to sleep.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,273,025 times
My dog will watch TV, espeically if there is another dog. His head will go from side to side, as if he is trying to figure out how that dog got into the box on the wall (the TV).

Oh, and he loved watching the Puppy Bowl!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
My dog will watch TV, espeically if there is another dog. His head will go from side to side, as if he is trying to figure out how that dog got into the box on the wall (the TV).

Oh, and he loved watching the Puppy Bowl!!!
My pup also loved the puppy bowl! Great show!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I am a fan of horror films. However, my dog is not! I have a cute little cavalier king charles spaniel. Anytime I am watching one of these films, before the scary part occurs, my dog begins barking frantically at the TV (as if to warn me!)

It isn't the sound that is setting him off... Just tonight I was watching Paranormal Activity 2, and my little boy would bark like crazy before the scary parts-- it's as if he had some sort of sixth sense! This movie doesn't have any sound before these parts.

Does your dog do anything like this when you watch a movie?

Also, my dog loves to watch Pets.TV especially when it is about dogs! Does your dog like watching TV with you and what is his/her favorite channel/show?
sounds to me like your pup is reacting to your body language and apprehension. As the music builds, YOU know that a scary part is coming up and I'm sure are putting off subtle (or not so subtle...depending on the movie) actions that are warning your pup that you are alarmed. Sounds like your pup is very in tune with you!

My dogs' favorite show is "House Hunters" in HGTV. Whenever they hear that blasted doorbell in the intro, they go crazy!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 PM

7,384 posts, read 12,685,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
My dogs' favorite show is "House Hunters" in HGTV. Whenever they hear that blasted doorbell in the intro, they go crazy!
Our First Dog (who knew 200 words) also went crazy over "House Hunters" and the door bell which sounded just like the door bell in our old house! So we got used to telling her, "It's on TV!" After a while she realized that that expression meant there was nothing to worry about, so whenever she was fussing and worrying about little things, we'd just tell her "It's on TV!" and she'd calm down. Amazing little GSD brain...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,877 times
Rita and my female GSD used to sit in front of the tv and watch Animal Planet whenever it was on.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times
Brutus loves to watch bird hunting shows. He goes absolutely bonkers when they start blowing duck calls and watches the Lab's fetch the dead birds.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,725 times
Sydney likes family guy...for some reason whenever its on, he sits at the edge of the bed tilting his head back and forth studying the tv

Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Ours will get all excited if they hear a dog bark, wimper or cry.
They then run to the TV & stare at it.
The heads turn, back & forth. Then they stare at the TV...then they look at us. They usually cry or "talk" in dog language (of course).
Our female will watch the TV for 15 minutes. Our male watches it maybe 5 minutes & goes & picks up one of his large stuffed animals & he holds it in his mouth the rest of the night, babying it.

They LOVE animal planet. They get all excited watching Pit Boss.
NGC they watch Cesar and the dogs & fanilies he has on.

Dogs really get their attention every time.
If a monkey or ape is on making monkey noises they get excited.
Other animals they don't really pay any attention to.

Our first Rotty... he loved the movie Turner & Hooch and loved to watch football. He loved to see the players run.
Only he would get so excited we would have to put him in another room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs