Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times

Advertisements

We're really happy so far with ours. (I hope I don't jinx it!)

Our dog has a high prey drive, yet stays in the area with the second to lowest setting. We got an indoor unit, too, to give the cats and the litter box a dog free zone.

I really like the safe zone in the front. Our dog joins us when we do yard work. And, I am not AS paranoid about her getting out if a kid leave the front door open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I loved mine and I have a high prey drive JRT but I also live very rural on 10 acres. I set mine up so it covered about 2 acres around the house and barn. My JRT respected it and I'd set it to the warning first and then the zap, it only took one zap and anytime he'd hear the warning no matter what he'd back up.

But I only used it when I was out with him, he knew when the collar went on what his boundary's were. When the leash came out he knew we were going for a walk. The fence made for a happy me and a happy dog, I could go to the barn and have my dog with me and do chores knowing he wouldn't wander if I turned my back and I didn't have to tie him up. It also gave him enough room to tree and dig for critters, but not too far away from me if there were issues.

Even the deer knew where the fence line was...LOL they'd graze just out of reach and my JRT would go to the line and bark bark bark, then look back at me like "I hope no one's watching" since the deer didn't budge, it was so funny.

BUT and the BIG BUT is this fencing is not for everyone so do lots of research. In the burbs I'd only use it as a secondary barrier, out here in the country it's a very different thing, like one poster stated it's not feasable for us to fence in many acres. The big things are installing it correctly, training your dog to it correctly, knowing your dogs personality and lastly it won't keep other dogs out so you must be out with them anyway and for me it worked for others it might not.

Another thing is be sure to POST clearly that you have invisible fencing, recently two dogs have been shot and killed by the police in GA while they were in their own yards because the dogs (both large breeds) were barking at them and they felt threatened Both were beloved family pets one was a Golden (the ultimate attack dog - NOT). Even though the dogs stayed in their yards and didn't cross the barrier they were killed by ignorance. In both instances the dogs were out by themselves and the owners were in the house and both of these took place in the 'burbs.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 AM

265 posts, read 952,726 times
We have the Wireless fence which has been great until recently. Lately our GSD has been bolting through it to play with our neighbors dog. Its alot less expensive ($279) and can be disconnected and moved if needed, The radius can also be changed if needed.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
We have the Wireless fence which has been great until recently. Lately our GSD has been bolting through it to play with our neighbors dog. Its alot less expensive ($279) and can be disconnected and moved if needed, The radius can also be changed if needed.
Check the battery on the collar, they usually have to be replaced more often than advertised, there also might be a break in the line. I would just re-lay the line about every other year instead of looking for breaks...much less hassle.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 AM

265 posts, read 952,726 times
In the wireless system there is no line. It emits a wireless signal for the area.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
This is what I have: PetSafe PRF-275-19 Stubborn Dog Fence Collar

The link is just for the collar but you should find a link for the whole system via the page.

Mister is a master at the get-away and a visible dog fence would interfere with farming and tractors access and such. Keeping him on a chain when he was outside, or an under ground fence were my only options. I knew from a hand held shock collar that he could withstand the initial shock and go through it.

So I went straight to the stubborn dog collar after researching on the internet. I installed it myself. You can rent a lawn edger to make the slit into which you put the wire.

I walked Mister around the parameters. Then, I pretended to work in the garden, keeping an eye on him. As soon as he thought my attention wasn't on him, he made a break for it. He went about halfway through the shock area - which I had set at 10 feet and then stopped.

This particular collar has a series of escalating warning beeps and shocks and if a dog tries to fly through it, it delivers the most powerful shock immediately. Setting the parameter at 10 feet gives a dog plenty of warning and doesn't allow him to skid through as he is trying to stop. The fence will shut off automatically if a dog gets stuck in the shock zone.

We are rural, we have wildlife which interests Mister enormously and he has never, ever gone through in the 6 years we have had the fence when he has had his collar on. I even got someone with a dog in heat to stand with their dog on the other side of the fence - not too close, not too far, to see just what it would take to get him over there. This was before Mister was neutered.

We have more than an acre fenced in - I'm not sure exactly how much. I think some of the problems people experience with their fences are due to improper installation. and forgetting to replace the batteries.

WRT taking the dog on walks, the training booklet that comes with the fence mentions using the same place as an imaginary gate and taking the dog through on a leash. The dog will realize that when you are leading him through the imaginary gate, that that area is safe. The dog will also realize eventually if you let him out without the collar, that there is nothing to stop him from running away, although it may make him a little more hesitant as he 'tries' out the idea.

One thing that you might want to do is to try the fence (mine was around $400 for the whole system, and I got extra wire from a neighbour for free). If it works, you've saved yourself money and if it doesn't work for you then you've lost only the $400.

I must stress that we are rural and have no neighbours. I don't know how it would work in an area where houses are side by side, and strange dogs are wandering around all the time. All I know is what I've experienced with foxes, rabbits, coyotes and deer here.

The foxes have grown so smart that they will go up to the area where the invisible fence is with Mister bristling ten feet away on the other side, knowing that for some reason he won't chase them beyond that point.

And my dogs are all in at night. I don't leave them outside. And I don't leave them outside when we are not home. But when they are outside when I am home, I don't check on them even if they are outside for several hours at a time without asking to come in.

Mister is my problem child. The beagle is too old and in her younger days only hunted on our land, and my female German shepherd is far too concerned with what I am doing to wander off the yard.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Thanks for all the info everybody!! I think it sounds like a good secondary containment system -- for when we are working out in the yard beyond the physical fence line. I don't know if we'll have the time/money to put it on this year's project list --- but it will definitely make the long term project list!!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM

75 posts, read 221,493 times
Default 6lbs chiwawa - wired or wireless?

Any opinions on these fences for our small 1 year old chiwawa?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
ive seen toomany dogs big an small botl through them, and then refuseto come home, or bolt thoguh them and get hit.
chis dont need a bigarea, buy a 100ft roll of cheap feild fence from somewhere like tractor upply, some t-posts and taa, a simple easy to move fence (and itll cost ya less than an "invisable fence")

plus those invisable fences do NOHTING to stoop other aniamls comming in...stray dogs cats, wildlife, kids ect can all just wander right though it leaving your dog with NO protection from the outside world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs