Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times

Advertisements

Opinions needed!!!

For pitbulls that show no signs of dog aggression...do you think it would be a bad idea to bring one into a home with multiple dogs?Like 5+ dogs...Or do you think thats too much and its better with maybe one other dog of opposite sex?Alot of books i've read and information from breed rescues say never trust a pitbull not to fight with another dog.Is that really true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times
Very interested in this thread! I don't recall ever seeing a pitbull in the off leash parks I've been to. If you are thinking of adopting a pitbull, be sure you know it's background or better yet, get a young puppy from a reputable breeder.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,677 times
There are always pits in our dog park. I haven't seen any of them cause issues. They usually are real sweet and seem to just "go with the flow". They probably have good owners that have socialized them. The few minor incidents that I've seen haven't involved any pits. I have a lab/pit mix and he is the most docile little wuss you've ever met and does wonderful at the dog park and with our other dog, a golden/gsd mix. They are both boys. Of course, anecdotal evidence is only worth so much.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times
I work at a shelter and theres a pitbull im very attachted to.He shows no dog or cat aggression.I have a LOT of pets of my own.I wanted to get opinions from other dog experts and people involved with rescue.Because if push came to shove with him and he ran out of time i would consider fostering him.But ive been doing a lot of reading and everything ive read is basically making me change my mind.I dont think i could properly manage another pit.I have one pit mix that ive had since 9 weeks and shes 10 months now.I read that their opinions on other dogs can change when they fully mature.I am pretty confidant he could do fine with the right person who understands this breed and maybe one doggie companion!I just love this breed to pieces but i know i cannot change whats in their history!!!Same thing with border collies(i have one) their herding instinct!When mine gets excited he will nip my hand.When i take him to the dog park if kids ride by on their bike he will lunge.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
It is not so much a pitbull thing as it is a sex thing. My 3 of 6 are pit/mixes but I can speak from having 5 of one sex.....females. I had many a dog fight and many vet visits with stitches. When two start a fight they go into a frenzy and all the other dogs jump in. There were times when I did not think I could break up a 4 dog fight but I did! Boy does that take a toll on your nerves!
Unfortunately I had to have one of my dogs put down that was starting all the fights. She had a huge definative personality change at 4 years old. She had started fights from 4 until she was 9. She had gotten to the point where she would growl at me, and I had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was a lab/pit mix. My other dogs always feared her and the household was always tense. The last fight she almost killed another. My pack is now at peace and no more fights.
Multiple females will always fight to be the alpha, I do not care what the breed is. I have my American Staffordshire seperated from the other females except for my lab/mix and chihuahua. I never leave my lab/mix or Chi alone with my Amstaff when I am not around.
Dogs will fight for many reasons, toys, bones, food etc. and a fight can break out in a second over something. Again, there is no breed specific when it comes to a fight. I have seen two poodles in a ferrocious fight over food. My aunt had a male mini poodle that would tear you up if you came near the vacuum cleaner he always guarded! He hated other dogs and would always go after them, especially another male!

You should not only know the history of the dog, but you need to be a perfect pack leader. If it were me I would be a little leary.
If I were you I would probalby foster the dog but just keep them separate unless you are always there around them.

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-05-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I adopted a yr old pit when I already had a 5 y/o GSP male and a 4 y/o GSD female. They are both bigger than him, both weight and height. The famle is alpha but she puts up with a lot from him. When he seriously gets on her nerves, she puts him in his place. At first, I saw some scabs on his face and neck, never on theirs; not for 5 or 6 months now. He would like to be alpha but he isn't! They play very roughly but it is always play, I watch them very carefully. When I am not home, they all sleep on their Kuranda beds (only thing the pit doesn't destroy b/c he can't!).

Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Very interested in this thread! I don't recall ever seeing a pitbull in the off leash parks I've been to. If you are thinking of adopting a pitbull, be sure you know it's background or better yet, get a young puppy from a reputable breeder.

I see Pitbulls all the time in our off leash parks and they are all sweet dogs that play well with others or some just stay near their owners after greeting the other dogs. One of the flyball teams that use to come to our clubs tournaments also had a pitbull on it and she did fine. If you don't know flyball most dogs get very worked up and even emotional about the game, lots of excited hyper barking dogs so a dog has be able to behave in this environment.

I know at Best Friends where they house 5-6 dogs in groups that some of the groups had Pitbulls in them as we took a couple of them and two others from their groups on outings when I was there.
It was mixed groups not a group of pits though in some of the areas there would be two pits housed together.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
i love pits but i wouldn't leave one alone with other dogs uncrated. i don't have one because my dog can be intolerant of rude dog behavior and will not back down from a fight. i doubt i will get a second dog, period.

i think they'd be fine in a multi-dog household as long as you know what you're doing and take precautions.

just make sure you get an adult (over 3 years), because juvenile pit bulls who are dog friendly can become dog aggressive as they mature.

or you could go to a reputable breeder who breeds for dog-friendly pits, but with so many pits in shelters i can't heartily endorse doing that.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,834 times
I have a lab/pit mix and she is in love with other dogs ^^ especially little dogs. I think that a really sweet pit would do nicely with other dogs. I would just introduce them together before you take it home. (one of your dogs at a time would be best, in case one of your dogs doesnt get along with it.)

Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times
If I were you, I would not bring a pitbull into a household with other dogs. Just a note: I'm learning that pitbulls are in the class with rottweilers and dobermans--they require lots of structure and rules plus a job to do. And you must have pack order firmly established in the household so your pittie knows who's boss. Lots of work with pitbulls, lots of work....I know because I have one and absolutely would not introduce a second dog into my home. But we love this dog despite his issues and we're working on them with the help of a canine behaviorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs