Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

Munchie doesn't let John hug me. I'm guessing it's because he's was being funny one day and grabbed me and we were wrestling. I'm vocal, laugh a lot - and yes I literally mean JUST wrestling so behave ya'll!!! - and she thought he was hurting me. Since then if he even hugs me she goes bonkers barking at him. She doesn't come near us though and if I tell her to be quiet she just sits and cries. LOL

I don't see it as her thinking she's the alpha at all. Even within a pack, there is an alpha, but if the alpha is in a fight, the others jump in. The pack survives by sticking together, even in a fight with another pack or even a single dog from another pack. Although, she does honestly get away with way too much. The others are pretty good. She's a snotty brat......... Totally my fault and I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
The other personal thing that my female GSD always really took notice of was when I had my period. She shove her nose into my crotch, and give me a knowing woman-to-woman look, and a smile that said, "Oh, so you're in heat!"

It could have been worse. My male GSD could have thought I was in heat.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM

754 posts, read 1,739,337 times
LOL Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. My fiance has been working on being more assertive with the Poms. He has a long way to go, but he's making progress.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
If my wife and I just start kissing for more than 5 seconds, the dog will start humping his bed. I would have to say yes.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yep, that little Pom is the Alpha dog. Time for both of you to step up and reclaim it for yourselves.

Some things I do to establish and maintain the Alpha role:

• I never move out of the way for her, she has to move for me or she gets stepped on or slammed by my shinbones.
• She sits in front of the door until I exit, and doesn't exit until commanded to do so.
• She sits in front of her food bowl until given permission to eat.
• I never give her food from my hand, I toss it away from me as if I don't want it anymore. That way she's reinforced as being "below the salt". She's not allowed to go after it until I say so.
• I always eat first.
this is what we do with our GSD. works great. he knows who's in charge- and its NOT him! im a little more lenient now that hes almost 13 and getting older and slower, but definitely in his younger years used most of those methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
Ok but seriously, aside from the food suggestion, I don't have a problem with the other issues mentioned (I always exit before him and my other Pom does, etc). My Pom will NOT listen to my fiance, even when he calls him he responds when he feels like it, but he always listens to me. So should I have my fiance do some these drills with him? I think he sees himself as superior over him?
BOTH of you need to establish dominance over her. There is nothing cute about a dog who doesn't know his place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs