Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,061,870 times

Advertisements

Lately, my dog is nipping me on my ankles and is upset whenever I leave. I can't take him a lot of places, but when I can I do. I don't know what is going on and don't know if any of ya'll have had these issues~? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,132,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Lately, my dog is nipping me on my ankles and is upset whenever I leave. I can't take him a lot of places, but when I can I do. I don't know what is going on and don't know if any of ya'll have had these issues~? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Is your dog by chance a herding breed or mix?

The first thing to do is make all leavings and arrivings low key. No effusive goodbyes or greetings. Ignore the dog before leaving and just go. Same when you come home. Ignore the dog for a time while you change your clothes, or just put down your keys.

Teach your dog a behavior you want him to do when you leave using marker training to do so. this might be to go into his crate or to his bed.

Once you teach him what you do want and he shows he understands the command (from different locations in your house), then and only then, if he blows you off, he gets a firm voice correction. If he needs a stronger correction you'll need to set him up so that you can give a leash correction but a training collar (of any type) should never be left on the dog when unsupervised.

While working on this problem, just use the "Ouch" method where you "yelp" ouch! similar to what another dog would do if he played too rough. Corrections come after he has an alternative behavior. But, if he's biting hard, it's ok to let him know this is unacceptable behavior.

Before going take him through some obedience exercises and/or for a power walk (no sniffing, etc) to tire him out. Yes, this might mean getting up or getting ready earlier. But a tired dog is a good dog.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have a Yorkshire Terrier. When he sees my purse and hears my keys ding when I pick it up, he watches me carefully to see what I am doing. I mostly keep him on a porch/sunroom where there are jalousie windows as well as heat/a-c vent. At times I don't, and I gate him off of the kitchen, so he can have the place to himself. He's 3 years old and done with the damaging of chewing, tho he really didn't mess too much up when he was a pup.

I have said "ouch" really loud or even and bent down on the floor crying when I hit my toe, etc and he came to me. That is an idea to "yelp" to get him to calm down.

He didn't want to go for a walk this morning, but I played with him and got him to eat (which is another issue) and now he's lying on the porch/sunroom in the sun relaxing. Hopefully when I leave here in a few hours he will be calm. Also, at times when Ido leave he howls like a hound dog and I do let him out to go potty and he runs in circles. When I try to approach him he has nothing to do with me. I think he's upset he can't go with me. Is that possible~?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 PM

745 posts, read 1,651,527 times
I really have to wonder why people put up with nasty behavior from dogs.
Nipping ankles...that is not good.
Hope you don't have children visiting you.
Some breeds seem more prone to this behavior than others.
You should report this to the breeder.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I really have to wonder why people put up with nasty behavior from dogs.
Nipping ankles...that is not good.
Hope you don't have children visiting you.
Some breeds seem more prone to this behavior than others.
You should report this to the breeder.

I don't have any kids. My neighbors do and he really get along with them without the nipping. I don't think I can report this to the breeder since he's 3.5 years old and that man passed away a while back.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,381,588 times
Does Not sound to me like she Putting up with it! Sounds like shes Looking for Training Advice!! When did he start this nipping when you leave home??

Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Does Not sound to me like she Putting up with it! Sounds like shes Looking for Training Advice!! When did he start this nipping when you leave home??

Thanks Katie1 It has recently started, I'd say it started sometime this past month of Feb. Someone told me recently if I have taken him in the car for a ride frequently and when I don't, I have messed his routine up. Also, she told me that he wants to go with me and when I don't take him is when he gets upset.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,679,158 times
Sounds like it is his way of expressing he wants to go bye bye in the car with you! My Dads Yorkie does the same thing. I kinda think it is cute. He does not draw blood, just a play thing. I would not worry as long as it is a non aggressive action.
Your dog wants to be with you! This is the way he speaks to you!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,381,588 times
I agree with Blondie!! Your Fault you Spoilt him hehehe Now that he Knows hes allowed in the car & Not just for vet visits he wants to go go go lol I would try distracting him with toy like a Knog you can fill with Peanut butter or his fav treats. Then To Him staying home will be More fun tha Car Rides LOL Of course I not saying he has to stay home all the time. But when he does go... No treats Nothing extra but being with you! That makes staying home With treats equal fun are riding with you LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs