Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times

Advertisements

My family adopted a rescue dog in January. He’s settled in nicely and we’ve done a basic dog training class. He loves us and we spoil him rotten lol.

But I think because he loves us so much, he’s become very protective of us - especially my kids (9&7). He’s been mostly ok with new adults (my parents, aunt, brother, in-laws), but if my kids have friends over, he barks and growls and turns into a totally different pup. I ultimately wind up putting him in his crate. How do I introduce new kids to the dog more effectively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 02:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I ultimately wind up putting him in his crate.
How do I introduce new kids to the dog more effectively?
Start by putting him in the crate and after a bit open the gate.
Tell everyone to just ignore him until/unless he wants to join the group.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
What are the kids doing? Are they playing quietly or running around and yelling? It might not be the kids, it may be the activity and noise that are bothering him and making him anxious.

How do the kids interact with him? How old are they? Have they been taught to be respectful to dogs? Do they like dogs or are they afraid of them?

Do you know anything about his background? Did he have a bad experience with kids in the past? Does he have herding breeds in him? Do you think he's herding them?

It may not be the introduction. Without more information it's hard to tell if his reaction is because he's being protective or it's because he's anxious/afraid and warning the kids to stay away.

For now, I'd keep him crated while the kids are around. I think it's worth getting the help of a behaviorist to see what's really going on and how to deal with it since the stakes are so high.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
I would take my dogs to the Mall & sit at door. I made a sign that read... Want to help me train my dog? Just Shake my hand. When shaking I pass them my dogs Favorite Treat.... then introduce them to the dog they pass the treat to....

Once the kids are settled & the dog is calm in his crate pass out dog treats ..... For awhile weeks even do this every visit. DO NOT let him out of the crate!!! After he seems to be looking forward to their visit. Let him out ON LEASH! Keep him close to You! & your kids. Let the other kids approach & give him a treat IF all seems ok. After a long while as you can Trust the dog let him inter act on leash with them.

Some dog just Never Trust kids outside of their pack so be watchful. Best to NOT have the dog with other kids than one get Bit & you get sued. Only you can judge your dog.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
What are the kids doing? Are they playing quietly or running around and yelling? It might not be the kids, it may be the activity and noise that are bothering him and making him anxious.

How do the kids interact with him? How old are they? Have they been taught to be respectful to dogs? Do they like dogs or are they afraid of them?

Do you know anything about his background? Did he have a bad experience with kids in the past? Does he have herding breeds in him? Do you think he's herding them?

It may not be the introduction. Without more information it's hard to tell if his reaction is because he's being protective or it's because he's anxious/afraid and warning the kids to stay away.

For now, I'd keep him crated while the kids are around. I think it's worth getting the help of a behaviorist to see what's really going on and how to deal with it since the stakes are so high.
My children are absolutely respectful of dogs. They love animals and we volunteer in a local rescue. Most of their friends have pets and know how to behave. My children and my dog are currently cuddled together in my bed. There’s a thunderstorm going on, but they are ok because they’re together.

It’s possible he’s afraid, and I know next to nothing about his background. He was dumped in a high kill shelter around his first birthday and was on a euthanasia list before being pulled by a rescue.

How do I find a dog behaviorist?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:15 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
My high strung and nippy girl is on a leash whenever someone comes in the house. Once the excitement dies down she is perfectly calm. She gets lots of cookies for relaxing and being calm. And when she’s totally relaxed, I drop the leash.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:54 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
My children are absolutely respectful of dogs. They love animals and we volunteer in a local rescue. Most of their friends have pets and know how to behave. My children and my dog are currently cuddled together in my bed. There’s a thunderstorm going on, but they are ok because they’re together.

It’s possible he’s afraid, and I know next to nothing about his background. He was dumped in a high kill shelter around his first birthday and was on a euthanasia list before being pulled by a rescue.

How do I find a dog behaviorist?
A couple of my recent adoptees went through a period when they went kind of overboard "protecting" me or their new home. They now have something that's theirs, so they take that seriously. Consider that they just got used to you, accepted you, then new people got added to the mix which was probably unsettling. They don't yet know what role these other people will play in their new lives. Crating or leashing a new dog when introducing it to new people is not only cautious, but reassuring for the dog (YOU, their trusted person is asking them to go somewhere they know is safe, or staying physically connected by the leash).

Do you have a vet yet? Maybe ask them for behaviorist/trainer recommendations.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:08 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Asking your vet is a good place to start for a recommendation. You could also google but I'd definitely start with the vet.

Does he seem to be agitated when the kids are playing and making noise (normal kid stuff but could be stressful to a dog) or is it right when they first come in?

If it's right when they first come in, then maybe have him on a leash sitting quietly and tell the visiting kids to ignore him at first. If he seems calm (maybe after 5 -10 minutes) have the visiting kids toss him a high-value treat. I'd then crate him for the rest of the visit. Once he isn't acting protective around the visiting kids it may be OK to leave him loose in the house with them. If new kids who aren't around dogs a lot or toddlers come over, I'd crate him for sure regardless if he's acting better.

I do think a professional who can meet the dog and see what's actually happening is the best way to go.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start by putting him in the crate and after a bit open the gate.
Tell everyone to just ignore him until/unless he wants to join the group.
I had friends over for dinner. The dog was either crated or on a leash the whole time. He was absolutely fine with the adults but barked and growled at any of the kids.

I spoke to someone at the rescue and they’re going to send me the numbers of two affiliated trainers. I’m just surprised at this behavior. He’s a mush with my family. He is sleeping in my lap as I type this. He loves my kids. And at 22 pounds, he’s not the most intimidating dog that ever lived. It’s ok though - anything my boy needs, my boy will get.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I've always introduced my dog to other DOGs by introducing them in the driveway, then letting them both into the house when they're tailwagging. Haven't had a dog that territorial but maybe the same approach would work??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs