Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 06:17 AM

237 posts, read 967,790 times

Advertisements

Hi does anyones dog get brown hard crusty stuff around eyes. I thought it was from his dry eyes but my brothers dog also gets it to and he doesnt have dry eys. Could it be caused by something elese. He doesnt have any yellow or green discharge from eyes. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Yeah, Artie sometimes gets gunk in the inside corners of his eyes. It's nothing, though -- just like us humans get "sleep" in the corners.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,125,241 times
My doggie gets them too. No worries unless you see more of it, change color or has odor.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
What kind of dog do you have?

When I had a Shihtzu, I discovered that they were prone to eye issues due to their long hair.
It's really important to keep hair out of and away from their eyes.

There is a medicated eye ointment that is good for dogs that are prone to eye issues. It seems like I've seen it at Dr's Foster and Smith and possibly at a Farm Store -- as well as, of course from your veterinarian.

Here's an article about dog eye issues from a vet school that you may enjoy.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/dog_eyes.aspx

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
its called a tearstain.

do NOT use the angel eyes, or any of the other pills edible suppliments, they contain antibiotics and we all know you shouldnt doese regularly with antibiotics.
yes they work, but they also tend to lead to stomach issues and antibiotic resistance...

its very common in light colored dogs, and simply caused by watery eyes, the liquid has a natural "pink" tint to it and when it build up on the coat, it turns that crusty red brown color...

my first suggestion, DIET: get on a high quality food, no corn or byproduct and preferably GRAIN FREE...
more importantly though avoid anything with RED dye, and BEET anything in it (beet plup, meal, juice ect) these tend to cause deeper reddening to the staining.

WATER: get a filter for your water tap and give your dogs filtered water, alot of the heavy minerals in both well and city water can contribute to the staining problems.

grooming: if youve got a dog prone to tear staining daily upkeep is your best frined, first remove any crusties, the harder build up, just gently give it a pull, and keep the hair around the eyes neatly trimmed if longer haired, then take a cotton ball soaked in a little salt water solution (you can add a little apple cider or white vinegar for stubborn stains) simply whipe the area under the eyes dont get it in the eyes) EVERY DAY, twice a day if youve got a particuarly teary dog...lol, i like to start with twice daily and then go to once a day once the problem is under control.

however...before doing anything, have your vet give your dogs eyes a quick check to rule out infection or a trapped grass seed ect...

my powderpuff crestie is prone to tear staining, getting her on a better food with no beet in it helped, her staining doesnt build up as quickly, but she still needs a quick daily whipe down to keep it from slowly building up.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

my first suggestion, DIET: get on a high quality food, no corn or byproduct and preferably GRAIN FREE...
I agree with the above. Once I changed our dogs' food to a quality food, no more teary or gooey eyes.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
Perfectly normal. It is when the discharge is an odd color, crusted over where they can't open, or the eyes look dry that you should be concerned. Now, tear stains can be attributed to food, or water. Lastly, some coats show tear stains more prominently. Obviously if your dog is white, they will stand out but if not, you may never notice. Regardless, tear stains are not a health condition. You may try adding buttermilk powder to the food. You find it in the baking aisle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs