U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM

4,140 posts, read 4,152,466 times

Advertisements

i have a VERY old shih-tzu, 18 yr's who is hardly in the best of health. Thought she was dying numerous times in the last year or so and then she somehow bounces back from death's door. Normally she hasn't wanted to be touched/handled in over a year. The vet said she likely has a lot of arthritis and, even on med's is tender when handled. The most she allows me to do is massage her head and rub her ears. In the last month we have had a houseguest who has a 3 year old toy male poodle (neutered). The poodle is very active, running all the time, etc. Whenever he sees my shih tzu, he tries to mount her. I of course stop it immediately. The weird thing is, my shih tzu then seeks him out, going all through the house looking for him! So, everytime they are separated, she seeks him out. I cannot figure this out! She is spayed (not to mention being old as dirt), he's neutered, but with him I guess it's a dominance behavior. But why would she be seeking him out? She usually completely ignores my other dogs and any visiting dogs. I'm afraid he is going to hurt her but it's hard to put a stop to it when everytime I reprimand him and separate them, she goes running to his side of the house looking for him.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 AM

6,728 posts, read 8,053,227 times
I think some older dogs get a real kick out of watching younger ones. I've seen it before in older dogs and I've even seen older dogs that seem to be on the verge of death get a new lease on life in the presence of a younger dog. I think your dog is lonely.

My guess is that is what is happening with your dog. What does she do when he tries to hump her? If she is in pain, she would still yelp. If you are intervening before it gets to that point, she may not realize that the other dog can cause her pain. Your only option might be to allow her to feel a little pain before intervening. But your best bet is to try and redirect the poodle into behaving with a little more restraint.

How much of a size difference is between the two dogs?

My male GSD will sometimes get too hyper with my female who has arthritis, and my female will sometimes get too playful with my tiny beagle who is 14 1/2. I try to include my beagle in their horse play, while keeping a firm hand on the other dog, so that my beagle feels she is a part of the pack, without the pack horse play causing her pain. It doesn't take much and then the beagle tires of it, but the little bit that there is makes her feel very special and she is panting very happily after, giving the impression that she thinks she 'showed' the bigger dogs a thing or two.

The older dog's spirit still has a part of it that wants to play, but the body isn't physically capable of as much but you don't want to isolate her - just control it.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM

4,140 posts, read 4,152,466 times
Yes, she definitely likes the attention. She is only 11 pounds, he is probably around 20 pounds. I have a dog bed in the kitchen since everyone congregates there so that she is around us as much as possible. She never cries when he jumps on her, she just runs and he chases her. When I stop them, she goes running looking for him again. Maybe she does just want to play. It's strange because even when she was younger, she didn't really engage that much with other dogs -- she was always more of a people dog or independent. And we have had plenty of dogs as guests over the years, but she definitely has livened up with him there. I'm all for her being more energetic, I just don't want her to get hurt.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

8,082 posts, read 7,395,118 times
Maybe you should let her find him and see what happens. Perhaps when you are old you might better understand.

Seriously, she's not going to live forever, let her follow her own path.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,169 times
Default 18 year old ****zu

I have an 18 year ****zu who is experiencing hock problems causing it difficulty on hardwood floors does the splits isn't very active and is now loosing control of his bladder drinks a lot of water but wants to pee every 30 minutes. But seem OK and is still eating. What do I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs