Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,839,870 times

Advertisements

We have a 9 month to year old rescue dog that came to us about two months ago. We have been working with her and she is picking up some training but is fairly stubborn so progress is slow. At our home we have a dog door that leads out to a paved run and the dogs use that area to do their business. She has been good at this house about making it to this area outside to pee. We have not found any accidents.

We are working on a retirement house that has a fenced backyard. The dogs go out to play/potty at least every hour but this dog has peed in this house 3 times this week. Once on a rug right next to her bed. Right after coming inside from play. This I don't understand. The other two times were in the laundry room in the basement within 15 minutes of coming inside. In the past six weeks she's peed in the house about 6 times. We know that she can hold her bladder. She lasts for hours in the car. Also we usually train our dogs to potty on command after exiting the car and being taken to an appropriate location to do so but we have tried with her and can't seem to pierce the void even though our other dog provides an example each time.

Also we are certain that it is not our other dog doing this. We have caught her in the act (or squatting in preparation to pee) and scolded her appropriately several times now at this other house.

We've had a number of dogs in our lives over the years but have never had house soiling issues after the initial house training. We are at wits end. Any ideas, help, info?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 04:48 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,237,337 times
Is it possible that another dog lived in the house previously? She may be marking her territory if she smells where another dog pee'd previously even years ago.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 PM

That would be a good thought but we've replaced the floors from the old subfloors. She peed on a new area rug. We are flummoxed. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Do you know much about her history pre-rescue?

Our adoptee was likely previously a puppy mill dog, and much indicates that he was kept in unsanitary conditions from a young age until he was taken in by the refuge. He has certain behavior that seems to indicate that he had the natural instincts regarding cleanliness basically trained out of him via this experience. Uphill battle, for sure.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Do you know much about her history pre-rescue?

Nothing other than she was rescued from the pound at about 6 months of age by a pet rescue group out of Idaho. She is a mixed breed, about 25 pounds and the best that we can determine is the she might be a bearded collie and a terrier, possibly a westie mix. She was surely neglected and up until now has had no (as in zero) training but is really sweet and "velcro" to us but is shy of other people, needing confidence built in herself and others, people primarily and some dogs. When we took her to the groomers the other day, she piddled from fear on their floor, which surprised me a little.

This is out of our normal experience as we up until now have gotten purebred dogs from puppy age 12-20 weeks from reputable hobby breeders and raised them. We did breed (airedale) rescue but never had the type of problem we are dealing with here. Frustrating.

We had to go out and buy a carpet cleaner today to deal with spots on our area rugs. I'm more concerned about the hardwood floors that she's wet on though. Until we can figure this out, she can't come in while we are working and can't supervise her fully. The raised in filthy conditions thing makes some sense. Perhaps she was kenneled too long and got used to wetting her nest. I can imagine, based upon how cute she was/is that someone with no time or patience got her on a whim, maybe out of a box in a parking lot or some other such dubious puppy distribution method, and kept her tied (I'm thinking tied because she has a very tender esophagus.) or caged/kenneled and then just got sick of dealing with her adolescent puppy behavior, exploring the world through her teeth thing, or her nipping or barking and sent her to the pound.

We've had no problems with poo thankfully but in some ways, that is easier to deal with..

Sigh. Thanks guys.

Keep it coming if anyone has insight into this thing.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 PM

Honestly, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that we may never be able to train our dog's issues out of him. We keep trying and hope for the best, but I'm afraid that the baggage is a done deal. I'm pretty sure he must have, at some point or another, gotten used to living in pee out of necessity. Combined with his anxiety at being left alone/crated, which causes him to urinate when he otherwise wouldn't (his bladder holds up remarkably well when people are home, by comparison), he's a handful. He doesn't have pooping issues, either, thankfully.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,059,253 times
Our cat started doing this after years of it never happening and we took her to the vet and found out it was bladder infection.

busta

Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM

Yeah, definitely check for physiological explanations, obviously, but I'm sure you've thought of that.

Would that ours could be solved so easily.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,175,303 times
You say she is used to peeing on a run. Is it concrete? Perhaps she is not used to grass or ground a prefers solid surface of concrete or floors. Just a thought.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 PM

99 posts, read 531,760 times
Sounds behavioral. If she is doing it at one house but not the other its not likely a medical problem. Instead of going outside to "play," go outside to potty and then play. If she doesn't potty, back into the house for 15 minutes. No playing until she goes potty outside. Then lots of rewards and playing. When you take her outside specifically to potty, take her by herself until she goes so she doesn't get distracted by the other dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs