Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM

175 posts, read 750,904 times

Advertisements

So I let the dogs out this morning to potty (2 spayed females) a few mins later I hear all this growling out in the front yard. The girls were attacking each other. The (usually) dominate dog was penned on the ground. I hollar and the Daisy (the usually submissive) dog lets go and looks at me. Before I can get down the steps to bring them in the house. Lilly has gotten up and started attacking Daisy again. By the time I get to them Daisy is able to get away. I take Lilly in the house and go to find Daisy. Her face and back soaking wet with slobber. She has some wounds, mostly looks like the skin was scaped off, not really puncture wounds. I put Daisy in my bedroom to calm down, she's very skittish. Lilly has some scrape marks on one leg and is limping (but she has growing pains and limps fairly regularly) and her electric collar is broken.

These girls have grown up together. They are both just over a year old. Both weigh around 50 lbs. Lilly is a lab/sheperd mix and plays pretty rough. The other thing I'm worried about with her, is she can get excited licking people and nip. This can happen when I'm leaned over tying my shoes and she nips my nose. With new people she can jump high enough to nip you in the nose. This is the first jump that's this high so strangers really don't have any warning. She is enclosed in an electric fence, so people can walk into her territory. I don't think she is being mean just doesn't know what to do. She does not jump on me like that, although she will take me by surprise if I am down on the ground.

Daisy is a Lab/pitt mix and has always been timid. She is scared of squeeky toys, strangers, ect. Every once in a while Lilly will push her too far though and then the fights happen.

I also just got a new 7 week old puppy. Lilly has really taken to her and plays with her a lot. I am nervous she is going to play too rough with her though. Daisy is scared of her and wants nothing to do with her. If the puppy's on the couch Daisy will get down, if the puppy tries to eat out of Daisy's bowl, Daisy will leave. She really doesn't want to be in the same room with the puppy.

How do I stop this and keep it from happening with the new puppy too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,071,478 times
Have they been to obedience classes? Sounds like you have a lot going on and some professional help may be useful.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,449,901 times
Even better, have a trainer come to your house. You have a lot of things to sort out here. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,710,757 times
Sometimes female dogs -- spayed or not -- don't get along as they become adults. In our rescue group we don't allow adoptions of females dogs if there is already another female dog in the household. Do some internet research about this.

The Risks of Raising Two Female Dogs

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,449,901 times
It's true there can be issues with 2 females, or 2 males. However it can often work out. Obviously anyone with 3 or more dogs has more than one dog of the same sex. I have a female pit bull and a female who is probably a dalmation-bulldog mix, both 3-4 years old, and they are the best of friends. Have a knowledgeable trainer evaluate the situation, don't just think it can't work out.
Having read the above link, I wanted to say that there isn't always anything special or different the owner needs to do in having 2 females. My dogs were adults when I brought the 2nd one home, and play fight every day, but have never had a true fight for dominance. They have worked everything out peacefully between them from the beginning. I know this is not the case for you, but I mention it to anyone else following the above link. And for anyone who thinks that ALL APBT's are dog aggressive, especially with their own sex.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,126,605 times
Great advice already given about getting a trainer to come to you but wanted to add that I have three females and they all do get along - always have. The Lab is 8, the two Boston Terriers are 7 and almost 6.

I sometimes think it's a matter of temperament and being a strong pack leader yourself. I've never allowed dominance from any of the three, never had them fight, although my oldest Boston and the smallest of the three, sometimes thinks she's the doggie police.

I also have a 2 1/2 year old male Frenchie and while he occasionally tries to throw his weight and attitude around, he doesn't stand a chance. LOL

Good luck and I hope your girls learn to peacefully coexist.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,137,593 times
I think dogs have bad days just like us humans. During the day, they should be able to have time outs, a retreat area from one another to escape to. Sometimes one dog wants to play and another has had enough and the fight starts...at least that's what it looks like with my dog and my parents dog.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,565,681 times
Female on female agression is very common. And, honestly, you already have two puppies the same age, growing into adulthood and you have added a third? I would be seeing if I could give the new puppy a chance and find it another home as you have too much going on and the fighting will set up the puppy for the same behavior.

I agree you definitely need some one on one help here** and a realization that fights between females can be much more serious than fights between males typically are and anytime you add a third dog the dynamic drastically changes.

Many people with multiple females live a life of juggling dogs. Did the fights start when you added the puppy and changed the whole dynamic in the house or did they precede the puppy?

**You have one fearful dog (the worst kind to have) and one dog that is starting to show signs of agression towards people that needs to be nipped in the bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs