Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:37 AM

69 posts, read 344,518 times

Advertisements

My dog is fairly well trained (I think) but since she turned 2 she's gotten bad about barking (and some lunging) at other dogs when we're out walking on leash. I really don't know how to break her of this. Distracting her with treats doesn't work as she really doesn't care that much about treats. She'll listen to a down command and wait but when the dog gives even with us, she starts the barking and it seems to be getting worse. Jogging by the other dogs works fairly well but isn't always feasible on a narrow hiking trail. Any tips?

She's a three year old German Shepherd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Here's a website with some tips: Dog Tip: Aggression, Growling, Lunging at Dogs and People Outdoors,

I highly recommend the book "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell: Amazon.com: Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash-Aggressive Dog: Patricia B. McConnell, Karen B. London: Books.

It's very inexpensive, and her tips really work.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM

69 posts, read 344,518 times
That's a great website. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Treats won't help. They will just encourage her to bark. You are associating the treats with not barking in your mind, but not in hers. To her, this means "If I bark, I will get a treat".
When you meet another dog out walking, put your dog on the other side of you, Keep you between her and the other dog.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
Put dog in halter have more control also. But keeping on opposite side of other dog,short leash and walk past and ignore.Then if goes by others and not struggle and bark treats as reward be good.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Those are some good tips in the link, thanks Leorah .

We have the same problem with an adult dog we took in about a year ago. She's gotten better, but she still can get crazy when she sees another dog. For our dog, it's often a reaction to the other dog's behavior. If the other dog aggressively barks at mine (usually from across the street), mine loses it .

The link talks about the "Jolly" technique and I just read it to my husband. This is how I like to handle the situation - keep talking, keep the mood up - but he always thinks we should stop talking when she does this behavior and be serious, as if our talking was somehow making it worse?? Glad to see I was right, he was wrong !

Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 45,208 times
I have a 5 year old border terrier called Brock, hes not like other border terriers hes more active, hes fitter, hes taller and hes healthier, ive been trainin him different things since he was a puppy but now the only thing i cant do is make him stop barking at other dogs? do u know how to train my dog to stop barking at others??

Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
My dog is fairly well trained (I think) but since she turned 2 she's gotten bad about barking (and some lunging) at other dogs when we're out walking on leash. I really don't know how to break her of this. Distracting her with treats doesn't work as she really doesn't care that much about treats. She'll listen to a down command and wait but when the dog gives even with us, she starts the barking and it seems to be getting worse. Jogging by the other dogs works fairly well but isn't always feasible on a narrow hiking trail. Any tips?

She's a three year old German Shepherd.
Electronic training collar.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,890 times
This really isn't as hard as you might think. Once you decide the dog is going to behave in the presence of other dogs, you will make him behave. If you believe it's so difficult and get frustrated by it, then chances are you will just throw your arms up in the air and quit.

What I do with this type of dog.... while on a walk I always keep my eyes looking for other dogs. When I see another dog, I begin to watch my dog for a reaction. The trick is to correct your dog at the very instant he even thinks about reacting! Don't even allow him to start. If you see his ears go up, give him a quick collar correction and insist he pay attention to you. Spin around, go the other direction for 10 or so steps, keep his attention on you! Make him sit, make him follow you, anything to take his attention off the other dog. Walk fast, walk backwards... anything!

You stay calm and in control, don't get all tense, don't tighten up on the leash, keep moving, keep his attention.

Too many people wait until the dog is all amped up and barking, straining, growling. Don't let it get to that point! It takes a bit of time, some practice and dedication on your part. When he passes another dog without getting nuts, give him a good pat on the head and a Good Boy!

Until you have him calm in the presence of other dogs, stay off narrow trails!!!! Baby steps!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 27,771 times
Do NOT put an electrinic bark color on a dog for this! If the dog gets zapped while interacting with another dog or person, s/he will assiciate it as "i get zapped when people/dogs are near me, so i dont like them" and will become either aggressive or fearful/aggressive.Same goes for any forceful training, pinch/prong collars. And choke collars can get stuck and have resulted in many deatgs because of this. I'm a trainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs