Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,267,766 times

Advertisements

I came home today to find a pretty nasty crate, it seems my 5 month old little pup had a bout of diarrhea, when I took her out she went immediately and it was all brown water. I know German Shepherd dogs have sensitive stomachs, so i try to be consistent with what and when I feed her, and she occasionally has soft stools, but nothing like this.

She hasn't had an "accident" in her crate since the first day I put her in it, about 3 months ago.

She is drinking a lot of water, so I am pretty confident she wont suffer from dehydration.

We did try a new treat yesterday, but she didn't eat a whole lot of them, I suppose it could be the cause.

I was really ill last week and was home a lot more than usual, so going back into her crate this morning might have cause her some anxiety.

Her energy level is normal, she is bouncing off the walls and we went for a walk this afternoon and she was her normal self.

I did feed her a little bit when I got home, although, I understand that sometimes letting the dog fast for 24 hours can help with diarrhea, so I haven't given her any more food, she seems really hungry though.

Any suggestions or ideas? Should I give her more food, she's obviously very hungry. I have read online that pumpkin helps firm up the stool, but we are pretty far out there and I can't crate her till I clean it, and by the time I am done, it will be too late.

A pic of my pretty girl:
Attached Thumbnails
My GSD pup had diarrhea-snapshot-2011-04-11-19-45  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,996,211 times
She's a beautiful pup. Sorry to hear she's got an upset stomach.

Sent you a DM with some info that will hopefully be helpful.

Get her to a vet if you don't see improvement in the immediate future.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
She's a beautiful pup. Sorry to hear she's got an upset stomach.

Sent you a DM with some info that will hopefully be helpful.

Get her to a vet if you don't see improvement in the immediate future.
Thank you, I will read the links and take all the suggestions to heart. I have a call into her vet, who is a family member so i have the fortune of being able to call at night with a good chance she'll get back to me. I am hoping it is something she ate and it passes quickly.

-Another "heartless Libertarian"

EDIT to add: I see your location, one of my favorite spots to visit is Jarbidge, Nv.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,996,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Thank you, I will read the links and take all the suggestions to heart. I have a call into her vet, who is a family member so i have the fortune of being able to call at night with a good chance she'll get back to me. I am hoping it is something she ate and it passes quickly.

-Another "heartless Libertarian"
Gotta love those heartless Libertarians .

Hope the links help. Scratch her ears for me and tell her I said hi.

Jarbidge is a very cool place. I can get there from my house without seeing so much as a foot of pavement.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM

So I fed her very little last night and nothing during the day today. i was pleased to come home to find a clean kennel and everything was solid after that. She seems to have a TON more energy and after a long walk, from which I am pooped(pun intended), she is still bouncing off the walls.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 AM

4,929 posts, read 10,598,074 times
Yeah, it sounds like it was the treat. I feed Newman's Own treats, which my GSD loves, and with which I have never had a problem.

Stomach upset is actually quite common in puppies, so don't stress if it occurs on occassion. As outback stated, the time to worry is when it continues past 24-48 hours.

For future reference, yogurt (plain) is a great home remedy for mild stomach upset, as are yams (awesome for digestive health, my GSD eats cooked yams on a regular basis, she loves them!) and canned pumpkin.

Your pup is beautiful, I melted when I saw her pic. She looks like she is going to be a BIG girl, perhaps like mine when she is all grown up:

My GSD pup had diarrhea-003.jpg

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yeah, it sounds like it was the treat. I feed Newman's Own treats, which my GSD loves, and with which I have never had a problem.

Stomach upset is actually quite common in puppies, so don't stress if it occurs on occassion. As outback stated, the time to worry is when it continues past 24-48 hours.

For future reference, yogurt (plain) is a great home remedy for mild stomach upset, as are yams (awesome for digestive health, my GSD eats cooked yams on a regular basis, she loves them!) and canned pumpkin.

Your pup is beautiful, I melted when I saw her pic. She looks like she is going to be a BIG girl, perhaps like mine when she is all grown up:

Attachment 78450
Thanks! Your dog looks sweet. GSDs are such kind, sensitive puppers.

I think she is going to be big as well, last time I had her weighed, she was 45lbs, at 18 weeks!

Normally, i don't stress if she has a little issue, but this time, it was brown water and it had me concerned. She seems to be over it, I am keeping some plain yougurt in the fridge for her from now on, and have started feeding her a little pumpkin as well, i understand it also helps with another problem she has, she...umm...recycles her food....ewww!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM

3,729 posts, read 12,349,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

Attachment 78450
Oh! Oh! She is beautiful.....I want one!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM

4,929 posts, read 10,598,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
She looks a little too alert in that photo--I had probably just said, "Squirrel!" or something

Even though I already have one, I am so jealous when I see others' GSD puppy pics! I especially love the "awkward ear phase" like above, when the ears are way bigger than the head and either go in different directions or act like they're trying to merge at the top

Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM

511 posts, read 2,193,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Same here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs