U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM

332 posts, read 516,254 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Wanted to see if anyone would suggest a dog, either pure or mutt, that have all or almost all of the characteristics I am about to list below that I like in a dog.

1. Small to Medium size: Maybe up to 60-75 lbs.

2. Short hair: Short hair like beagles, pugs, rottweilers.

3. Similar facial structure of a beagle, lab or rottweiler: I like that facial structure, looks very manly and so adorable. On the beagle, I hate the ears. So also similar ears to that of labs or rottweilers

4. Cannot be skinny: I am not very fond of dogs that look like they break easily. I like the body of the dog in the Target commercials but dont like the face. it looks weird but I do liked the stocky look. not too stocky like a pug or bulldog but a muscular, strong look i like. I like to play rough with dogs. a lot of tug of war and running.

5. Similar temperament to labs.

Thanks for imputs,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,654,089 times
Bernese Mountain Dog!!!!
Bernese Mountain Dog!!!!

(sorry for the excitement but I do love them)

Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM

6,951 posts, read 21,873,392 times
I think you should find a local rescue group that fosters mixed breeds. The reason I suggest rescue is because they will be able to give you input on the temperament of the particular dog you are interested in AND they usually rescue really cute mixed breeds. You can also do a search on petfinder.com for size, gender, age and your zip code.

How about a corgi, if you want a pb?
Also, there are many mixes with boston terrier in them that don't have the pushed in face but the body and hair length (mixes again!)

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Bernese Mountain Dog!!!!
Bernese Mountain Dog!!!!

(sorry for the excitement but I do love them)
Isn't their hair longish?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,438,384 times
Is this for a fashion accessory or a pet? Sounds like the former with the pickiness about looks . . . don't forget "dogs are people too."

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Isn't their hair longish?
It is not long, just slightly longer than very short-haired dogs... if the OP is willing to look at them I find it totally worth it.
I think they make incredible pets. I had a neighbor who had one and she was beyond nice and adorable, yet very strong and playful.

Not to mention they are ridiculously beautiful.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 AM

3,678 posts, read 11,976,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey713 View Post
Hello,
Wanted to see if anyone would suggest a dog, either pure or mutt, that have all or almost all of the characteristics I am about to list below that I like in a dog.

1. Small to Medium size: Maybe up to 60-75 lbs.

2. Short hair: Short hair like beagles, pugs, rottweilers.

3. Similar facial structure of a beagle, lab or rottweiler: I like that facial structure, looks very manly and so adorable. On the beagle, I hate the ears. So also similar ears to that of labs or rottweilers

4. Cannot be skinny: I am not very fond of dogs that look like they break easily. I like the body of the dog in the Target commercials but dont like the face. it looks weird but I do liked the stocky look. not too stocky like a pug or bulldog but a muscular, strong look i like. I like to play rough with dogs. a lot of tug of war and running.

5. Similar temperament to labs.

Thanks for imputs,
I suggest you go in Petfinder and look at the dogs at local shelters. What you are describing can only be found in a mutt mixture. Heaven knows we have a lot of those here in the Houston area. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,755,259 times
I think you are best off to go to a shelter, and meet some of the dogs. And really spend some time in a meet-and-greet area with one before you choose it. Talk to the staff about the needs and personality of them. Suggestions on a board are probably not going to be as useful for you as just spending some time with some dogs.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Let me second the shelter suggestion, purebred or mutt. Speaking from experience, adopting a pet is the best thing you can possibly do.

I have adopted pets more than once and could not be happier with the years of joy they brought me.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Is this for a fashion accessory or a pet? Sounds like the former with the pickiness about looks . . . don't forget "dogs are people too."
I heard the worst insult you can give a dog is to say they are people. They are so much better than people......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs