U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 27,787 times

Advertisements

My husband was walking our dogs on a lead when two small dogs jumped out of a parked car in their owner's driveway and attacked my dogs. In the confusion of restraining the dogs from the fight, the owner of the unleased dogs got bitten. He now wants my husband to pay for all medical costs of his dogs attacking my dogs. Should we pay??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,894,866 times
Don't think you have a choice since your dog did the biting.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM

4,603 posts, read 5,447,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geweaver View Post
My husband was walking our dogs on a lead when two small dogs jumped out of a parked car in their owner's driveway and attacked my dogs. In the confusion of restraining the dogs from the fight, the owner of the unleased dogs got bitten. He now wants my husband to pay for all medical costs of his dogs attacking my dogs. Should we pay??
Why should you pay. Your dogs were leashed. If the owner of the unleashed dogs HAD his dogs leashed, this wouldn't have happened. It his own fault he was bit.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:22 PM

3,332 posts, read 7,205,874 times
Quote:
I might be confused, but who's dog bit the human? Did your dog do the biting?

Regardless, it seems like the owner of the other dogs didn't have them under control so if you have leash laws, he stands to lose more than you do if you make a stink about this. If your dog did the biting, but his dog's provoked the situation, it seems like you could all just walk away and take care of your own issues.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,599,937 times
Quote:
No, don't pay anything! Your dog was on a lead and his weren't!

If your husband was out in the street or walking down the sidewalk, then the homeowner is at fault for not controlling his dogs. In civil court, you only need to prove that it was 51% their fault to win, and having loose dogs sure sounds alot like their fault. If they press the issue, consult a lawyer.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,800,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Why should you pay. Your dogs were leashed. If the owner of the unleashed dogs HAD his dogs leashed, this wouldn't have happened. It his own fault he was bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I might be confused, but who's dog bit the human? Did your dog do the biting?

Regardless, it seems like the owner of the other dogs didn't have them under control so if you have leash laws, he stands to lose more than you do if you make a stink about this. If your dog did the biting, but his dog's provoked the situation, it seems like you could all just walk away and take care of your own issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
No, don't pay anything! Your dog was on a lead and his weren't!

If your husband was out in the street or walking down the sidewalk, then the homeowner is at fault for not controlling his dogs. In civil court, you only need to prove that it was 51% their fault to win, and having loose dogs sure sounds alot like their fault. If they press the issue, consult a lawyer.

yes, yes and yes^^^^

not a dime to that person....

Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 7,130,903 times
If the owner's dogs were leashed, as they should have been, it never would have happened in the first place. Explain that he/she will also end up paying YOUR court and lawyer fees, plus compensation for the time & energy you'd have to spend preparing and going to court, as well as those medical bills...there may even be a fine for having their dogs off-leash, depending on what the laws in your area are.

The fact that this person allowed little dogs to put themselves in danger this way really makes me mad...if it had been a loose, prey-driven dog they attacked they might have been seriously injured or killed. You'd think this would be a wake-up call for the owner to be more careful...sheesh!

Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,515,554 times
What state are you in? See if you can get some legal advice. I was sued in the state of California for a dog bite and it cost me 1500 bucks just for a retainer. The lady claimed to have fell on the fence and claimed our dog got her mouth through the fence and bit her. She had nothing but a "superficial scrape" according to the ER documents but she and her attorney were claiming everything from a wrist injury to anything else they could come up with.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,481,227 times
I would have gotten the ball rolling by calling animal control on his dogs if it were me.

As for get a penny from you ? Not a hope.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,584,050 times
Everything depends on the laws in your area. If the gentleman who was bitten wishes to pursue this, then I would consult with a lawyer before you decide to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs